Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4184523 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26950 on: December 04, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
i'll prolly stop being a kstate fan if the big 12 expands.  maybe not if it means divisions and kstate keeps playing ku, ou, osu and isu twice and the new games replace tcu and tech games or something.  but if it further dilutes the number of games against schools i care about, i just can't see how it's worth continuing to follow them for like 5 interesting games a season or whatever it'd be.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26951 on: December 04, 2015, 03:45:34 PM »
Why not? Some want a CCG, some don't. How can you say no one would want a CCG that happens when it benefits the Big 12's best team and doesn't happen when it doesn't?

Why do you think it took so long to get a playoff and then why we only got a 4 team one when it finally happened?

How do you get a venue and sell tickets for a championship game that you don't know is going to happen until 1 week before kickoff?

same way they do playoffs in football

On a home field without TV because they wouldn't know if they need a window?
I meant to say they could do it like baseball playoffs.

The only TV window we'd be able to get is some shitty espnu or fs2 spot and we'd have to bump an OU vs. Iona basketball game.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26952 on: December 04, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »
Why not? Some want a CCG, some don't. How can you say no one would want a CCG that happens when it benefits the Big 12's best team and doesn't happen when it doesn't?

Why do you think it took so long to get a playoff and then why we only got a 4 team one when it finally happened?

How do you get a venue and sell tickets for a championship game that you don't know is going to happen until 1 week before kickoff?

The only TV window we'd be able to get is some shitty espnu or fs2 spot and we'd have to bump an OU vs. Iona basketball game.

Don't get lost in the weeds...it's a good idea and it could work.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26953 on: December 04, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »

yeah OK I don't really care either way

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26954 on: December 04, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »

Don't get lost in the weeds...it's a good idea and it could work.

Lost in the weeds? The only reason the UPs would ever want a CCG is for TV money and gate revenue, in this scenario we'd lose most of that revenue.

In addition to that, it isn't a good idea. Let's say Baylor beat TCU last week, how absolutely moronic would it be for OU to be playing Baylor this week?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26955 on: December 04, 2015, 04:19:44 PM »

In addition to that, it isn't a good idea. Let's say Baylor beat TCU last week, how absolutely moronic would it be for OU to be playing Baylor this week?

yeah, you could just choose to not play that game
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:23:51 PM by michigancat »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26956 on: December 04, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »

yeah, you could just choose to boy play that game

So then I'm completely confused about the idea... Who is making the choice and what's their motivation?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26957 on: December 04, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
My only motivation is getting a team into the cfp. It came up last year and I probably had more coherent thoughts on it.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26958 on: December 04, 2015, 04:28:08 PM »
after reading this thread - def do not want divisions.  we need to play UT, OU, OSU, etc. every year to stay relevant.       

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26959 on: December 04, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
My only motivation is getting a team into the cfp. It came up last year and I probably had more coherent thoughts on it.

Last year was the best case for this hypothetical but even then playing again wasn't beneficial for either team. TCU were already in the top 4 and Baylor finished the season destroying a top 10 team.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26960 on: December 04, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »
I think the BXII has mitigated the negative impact of no CCG by back-loading the conference schedule.  the key is having teams playing relevant high-profile games in late November/December.  Had OU blown out KU last weekend instead of OSU, I'm not sure they're in the playoff. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26961 on: December 04, 2015, 04:36:55 PM »
I think the BXII has mitigated the negative impact of no CCG by back-loading the conference schedule.  the key is having teams playing relevant high-profile games in late November/December.  Had OU blown out KU last weekend instead of OSU, I'm not sure they're in the playoff.

I hate the backloaded schedule. Again Baylor finished the season beating the ever loving hell out of a top 10 team & it did nothing for them. There are so many factors that go into picking 4 teams and if you aren't in the sec and lose one game many of those things aren't in your control.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26962 on: December 04, 2015, 04:38:26 PM »
Mizzou has had a shot every year in the SEC by playing in the poor division. I'm all for it. We have a shot to catch lightening in a bottle every year. It's perfect!

Mizzou's poor division includes Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee. Even when those teams are awful, people still get excited about the game.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26963 on: December 04, 2015, 04:40:06 PM »

I hate the backloaded schedule. Again Baylor finished the season beating the ever loving hell out of a top 10 team & it did nothing for them. There are so many factors that go into picking 4 teams and if you aren't in the sec and lose one game many of those things aren't in your control.

Baylor is not in it because they lost to OU.  If the roles were reversed and Baylor beat OU and then proceeded to rip through the top half of the BXII, Baylor would be in the playoff. 

and, btw, I agree that unless you're an SEC team, 1-loss essentially dooms you. But, OU is unquestionably in the top-4 b/c it's beaten 3-straight top-10 teams. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:43:19 PM by Belvis Noland »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26964 on: December 04, 2015, 04:40:54 PM »
maybe if expansion had an upper division and a lower division and the lower division teams played amongst themselves and not with kstate and the top lower division team would move up and the bottom one of the non-permanent upper division would move down.

original big 8 schools would be auto permanent top division teams.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26965 on: December 04, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »
I wish we just went back to the Big 8, plus maybe Texas. 

Big 9 conference:

football:  8 conference games, 4 OOC games (2 of those must be against another P5ish type team)
basketball: 16 conference games, 16 OOC games (8 against major conference teams), only 8 teams make the conference tourney.

would be the best conference to watch in terms of football and basketball

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26966 on: December 04, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »

Baylor is not in it because they lost to OU.  If the roles were reversed and Baylor beat OU and then proceeded to rip through the top half of the BXII, Baylor would be in the playoff. 

and, btw, I agree that unless you're an SEC team, 1-loss essentially dooms you. But, OU is unquestionably in the top-4 b/c it's beaten 3-straight top-10 teams.

I was talking about last year, sorry I didn't make that clear.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26967 on: December 04, 2015, 04:50:44 PM »
I think it says a lot about BYU that they just lost their coach to Virginia. Probably time for a "case closed" re: them joining the Big 12.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26968 on: December 04, 2015, 04:52:14 PM »
I wish we just went back to the Big 8, plus maybe Texas. 

Big 9 conference:

football:  8 conference games, 4 OOC games (2 of those must be against another P5ish type team)
basketball: 16 conference games, 16 OOC games (8 against major conference teams), only 8 teams make the conference tourney.

would be the best conference to watch in terms of football and basketball

i vote for this idea.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26969 on: December 04, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »
There are multiple Big 12 schools that could lose their coach to UVA if they wanted him bad enough. I do agree with BYU being a non starter though.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26970 on: December 04, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »

I was talking about last year, sorry I didn't make that clear.

I still think Baylor would have been in a much better spot last year had they lost early and rounded out Nov/Dec with 3-4 wins over top 25 teams.  Instead their marquee win over TCU happened in early October   

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26971 on: December 04, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »
I think it says a lot about BYU that they just lost their coach to Virginia. Probably time for a "case closed" re: them joining the Big 12.

BYU wouldn't lose their coach to Virginia if they were in the BXII. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26972 on: December 04, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26973 on: December 04, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »

I like it, but it looks like there is some unintended innuendo there.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26974 on: December 04, 2015, 06:49:15 PM »

I like it, but it looks like there is some unintended innuendo there.
catastrophe no!
Hot time in Kat town tonight.