Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4184526 times)

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26975 on: December 04, 2015, 08:23:48 PM »
maybe if expansion had an upper division and a lower division and the lower division teams played amongst themselves and not with kstate and the top lower division team would move up and the bottom one of the non-permanent upper division would move down.

original big 8 schools would be auto permanent top division teams.

So maybe add 12 or so more teams and put them in BXII 2. Top 2 teams get to play in the BXII I the next season. The next year the lower finishing of those 2 has to play the top team from BXII II and the winner moves up/stays up?

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26976 on: December 04, 2015, 08:56:41 PM »
Houston (city and school) are not as bad as a lot in here seem to think they are

It's even more shitty than Dallas, and that's saying something.

Dallas isn't shitty either.  A lot of dorks from the Midwest hate both cities but they're both very nice (I used to hate both cities too fwiw)
emaw

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #26978 on: December 05, 2015, 08:50:21 AM »
Houston (city and school) are not as bad as a lot in here seem to think they are

Dallas isn't shitty either.  A lot of dorks from the Midwest hate both cities but they're both very nice (I used to hate both cities too fwiw)

Incorrect on both accounts AND Houston would be a shitty add. Guys, if you haven't been to their basketball arena then you just don't know.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26979 on: December 05, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »

Incorrect on both accounts AND Houston would be a shitty add. Guys, if you haven't been to their basketball arena then you just don't know.

$60 million renovation forthcoming.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26980 on: December 05, 2015, 12:42:56 PM »
It feels like Houston would get 95% of the benefit and the Big 12 would get about 5%. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26981 on: December 05, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
I don't give a crap if Houston carved their new arena out of one single diamond and threw the scraps in the ocean. They're still Houston. They seriously bring nothing to the table.  Helmet team? Nope. Tradition? Nope. Money? Nope. New recruiting areas? Nope. Greater footprint? Nope.

But hey,  not bad at academics and if they could get better at sports and sustain it for 50 years,  we might have something!
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26982 on: December 05, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »
I don't give a crap if Houston carved their new arena out of one single diamond and threw the scraps in the ocean. They're still Houston. They seriously bring nothing to the table.  Helmet team? Nope. Tradition? Nope. Money? Nope. New recruiting areas? Nope. Greater footprint? Nope.

But hey,  not bad at academics and if they could get better at sports and sustain it for 50 years,  we might have something!

The concept of helmet teams are stupid. I just want to watch good football.  I don't give a crap about history.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26983 on: December 05, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »

The concept of helmet teams are stupid. I just want to watch good football.  I don't give a crap about history.

If this was all about just having the best possible football we need a whole new system

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26984 on: December 05, 2015, 03:11:07 PM »

If this was all about just having the best possible football we need a whole new system

I care about history in the sense that teams that have played each other for decades and have history together means something.  Houston has history with four teams in this league.  Again, if folks read what UT fans are saying, they're open to Houston.

But has Nebraska's "helmet" done crap for them or the Big Ten?  Not really.  They could have had their network with Missouri.  Or Maryland.

Growing partners is advantageous because they're willing partners.  They're open to new ideas.  They don't carry as much baggage.

We are in an interesting position because we can invite anyone, and we get a pro rata increase.  We have the ability to grow whoever we want without financial penalty.  No one else has that option.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26985 on: December 05, 2015, 04:08:57 PM »

I care about history in the sense that teams that have played each other for decades and have history together means something.  Houston has history with four teams in this league.  Again, if folks read what UT fans are saying, they're open to Houston.

But has Nebraska's "helmet" done crap for them or the Big Ten?  Not really.  They could have had their network with Missouri.  Or Maryland.

Growing partners is advantageous because they're willing partners.  They're open to new ideas.  They don't carry as much baggage.

We are in an interesting position because we can invite anyone, and we get a pro rata increase.  We have the ability to grow whoever we want without financial penalty.  No one else has that option.
Watching good football will nearly cease with additions like Houston.

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26986 on: December 05, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »

Watching good football will nearly cease with additions like Houston.

Okay.  I guess they won't be playing in a CFP Bowl game this year.  My bad.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26987 on: December 05, 2015, 05:16:42 PM »
Adding teams like Houston would ultimately be the demise of the conference,  pan. So yea,  if u want to trade Memphis and Houston for Oklahoma and Texas then .....

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26988 on: December 05, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
I don't want to expand and I don't want Houston but there are exactly 2 schools in this conference that can look down their noses at Houston and we aren't one of those two. There are a whole bunch of schools in every conference who's only advantage over Houston is that their conference wasn't the one that folded 20 years ago.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26989 on: December 05, 2015, 05:27:20 PM »
I don't want to expand and I don't want Houston but there are exactly 2 schools in this conference that can look down their noses at Houston and we aren't one of those two. There are a whole bunch of schools in every conference who's only advantage over Houston is that their conference wasn't the one that folded 20 years ago.
I know we're lucky to be where we are, and know where K-State stands. ..which is why i know adding another ho hum team is rough ridin' dumb. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26990 on: December 05, 2015, 05:33:12 PM »
I know we're lucky to be where we are, and know where K-State stands. ..which is why i know adding another ho hum team is rough ridin' dumb.

I think this is what most people are saying.  Big 12 is full up on scrubs.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26991 on: December 05, 2015, 05:59:18 PM »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26992 on: December 05, 2015, 09:55:13 PM »
Adding teams like Houston would ultimately be the demise of the conference,  pan. So yea,  if u want to trade Memphis and Houston for Oklahoma and Texas then .....

I don't want Memphis, nor do I think they're all that realistic.

And Oklahoma is the one advocating Houston, and most knowledgable UT fans support Houston.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26993 on: December 06, 2015, 06:04:21 AM »

I don't want Memphis, nor do I think they're all that realistic.

And Oklahoma is the one advocating Houston, and most knowledgable UT fans support Houston.
Has Oklahoma publicly said that our is that one of those Internet rumors that gets said enough that it becomes fact? And if it's the knowledgeable UT fans saying that,  I should probably just agree. Didn't realize you were tight with UTs big donors.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26994 on: December 06, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
"We're trying to work our way through it, but I'm less certain of the outcome than I was before," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN.com on Sunday. ”We don't think we ought to be forced into adding schools in order to have a championship game, but it could end up that way.”

http://www.espn929.com/johnmartin/Big-12-discussing-expansion/22249014

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #26995 on: December 07, 2015, 06:49:10 AM »
So, now the Big10 is publicly attempting to destroy the viability of a P5 conference.  Well that's really something to take note of.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #26996 on: December 07, 2015, 07:38:39 AM »
I'd also be interested to know how this action doesn't fall into antitrust territory.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26997 on: December 07, 2015, 08:38:31 AM »
"We're trying to work our way through it, but I'm less certain of the outcome than I was before," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN.com on Sunday. ”We don't think we ought to be forced into adding schools in order to have a championship game, but it could end up that way.”

So the Big 10 can raid other conferences in a money grab and than tell the conferences they raided they need to conform to what they currently are. Jesus this sport needs a central governing body.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26998 on: December 07, 2015, 08:38:50 AM »
Why not? Some want a CCG, some don't. How can you say no one would want a CCG that happens when it benefits the Big 12's best team and doesn't happen when it doesn't?

Why do you think it took so long to get a playoff and then why we only got a 4 team one when it finally happened?

How do you get a venue and sell tickets for a championship game that you don't know is going to happen until 1 week before kickoff?

same way they do playoffs in football

On a home field without TV because they wouldn't know if they need a window?
I meant to say they could do it like baseball playoffs.

The only TV window we'd be able to get is some shitty espnu or fs2 spot and we'd have to bump an OU vs. Iona basketball game.

Don't get lost in the weeds...it's a good idea and it could work.

Lost in the weeds? The only reason the UPs would ever want a CCG is for TV money and gate revenue, in this scenario we'd lose most of that revenue.

In addition to that, it isn't a good idea. Let's say Baylor beat TCU last week, how absolutely moronic would it be for OU to be playing Baylor this week?

Hey MIR, did you figure it out yet?  If not I'll explain it to you.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #26999 on: December 07, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »

So the Big 10 can raid other conferences in a money grab and than tell the conferences they raided they need to conform to what they currently are. Jesus this sport needs a central governing body.
Ha...yeah when you put it that way it sounds super f'd up.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:03:54 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]