Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980329 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25275 on: January 07, 2014, 12:09:28 AM »
Would have been interesting if the Big 12 pushed to get FSU in.  Imagine Big 12 dominating BCS bowls this season (assuming OU and Clems in this counter-factual get their at largest).
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

The Big Train

« Reply #25276 on: January 07, 2014, 12:11:41 AM »
. Just want to finally be a part of this thread.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25277 on: January 07, 2014, 02:31:44 AM »
Wow, good article.  I would love to see men's wrestling at KSU.... no homo.

it was a great article, and i'm for anything that gets men's wrestling back to KSU. we had a program until the summer of '75 IIRC. legend has it that an emaw wrestler hitch hiked to nationals one year due to budgetary issues.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25278 on: January 07, 2014, 04:06:02 AM »

it was a great article, and i'm for anything that gets men's wrestling back to KSU. we had a program until the summer of '75 IIRC. legend has it that an emaw wrestler hitch hiked to nationals one year due to budgetary issues.

I heard Dan Gable wanted to be the head coach at KSU once. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25279 on: January 07, 2014, 05:40:44 AM »

:dubious:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #25280 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/12/17/5216550/college-football-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

:users:

That article has a ton of logical fallacies.  I'm working on something for our site where I break it down further.

Our biggest problem is that FS1, in general, has less viewership than the MLB network.  It's going to take time to get traction.

Over half of the PAC 12 games on ESPN run unopposed in later time slots.  All of our games are opposed.

The ACC gets an abnormal amount of prime time games on ESPN, and their ratings are generally worse than those in other conferences at the same time.

Long story short, the article is not well thought out.

I wonder how inflated Rice's numbers are from Manziel's first game of the season.
Probz pretty inflated.

87%

4.21 million of 4.86 million total viewers were the Texas A&M game.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25281 on: January 07, 2014, 09:31:48 AM »
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/12/17/5216550/college-football-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

That article has a ton of logical fallacies.  I'm working on something for our site where I break it down further.

Our biggest problem is that FS1, in general, has less viewership than the MLB network.  It's going to take time to get traction.

Over half of the PAC 12 games on ESPN run unopposed in later time slots.  All of our games are opposed.

The ACC gets an abnormal amount of prime time games on ESPN, and their ratings are generally worse than those in other conferences at the same time.

IMO the article just presents data and doesn't really draw any conclusions from the data.  I fail to see the logical fallacies.  I mean RE: your statement on Pac 12 games running unopposed, those are still eyeballs watching Pac 12 games, watching commercials, and spending money on products, which drives the advertising.  I think it's okay to admit that while the Big 12 does have some advantages, we also have some built in disadvantages.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #25282 on: January 07, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »

That guy was Ark City's head coach when they were dominating 5A back in the 80's and 90's

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #25283 on: January 07, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »

IMO the article just presents data and doesn't really draw any conclusions from the data.  I fail to see the logical fallacies.  I mean RE: your statement on Pac 12 games running unopposed, those are still eyeballs watching Pac 12 games, watching commercials, and spending money on products, which drives the advertising.  I think it's okay to admit that while the Big 12 does have some advantages, we also have some built in disadvantages.

No.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25284 on: January 07, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »

WTF is a Dan Gable?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25285 on: January 07, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »

WTF is a Dan Gable?

a 65 year old man that could kill you with his bare hands.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #25286 on: January 07, 2014, 02:30:46 PM »

WTF is a Dan Gable?

a 65 year old man that could kill you with his bare hands.
:sdeek:
@Trogdor_gE

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25287 on: January 08, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bowls/2014/01/07/2013-college-football-bowl-season-tv-ratings/4363171/

The BWW managed a 2.8 rating, the 13th best out of 35 bowls. Slightly down from last year's game between MSU and TCU that scored a 3.0.

Overall the Big 12 fared pretty well...
OU vs. Alabama: 9.3 (3rd highest)
Baylor vs. UCF: 6.6 (5th)
Texas vs. Oregon: 4.6 (7th)
OSU vs. Mizzou: 4.3 (8th)
Tech vs. ASU: 2.3 (17th)

The conference played in 4 of the top 8 rated bowl games. The other 2 were played very late at night and still managed decent numbers.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25288 on: January 08, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bowls/2014/01/07/2013-college-football-bowl-season-tv-ratings/4363171/

The BWW managed a 2.8 rating, the 13th best out of 35 bowls. Slightly down from last year's game between MSU and TCU that scored a 3.0.

The conference played in 4 of the top 8 rated bowl games. The other 2 were played very late at night and still managed decent numbers.

Was last year's BWW Bowl as late?  I wonder if that played a major part in ratings (outside of it being a blowout). 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25289 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »
nobody wants to watch a game that starts at 10:30 pm and features a complete beatdown

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25290 on: January 08, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »

Was last year's BWW Bowl as late?  I wonder if that played a major part in ratings (outside of it being a blowout).

It was played at the same time - Saturday night at 9:15 CT. The slight decline probably had more to do with us beating Michigan's ass whereas last year's game had 3 lead changes in the 4th quarter.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #25291 on: February 04, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »
http://cbsprt.co/1aor1W6

More like DeBoss Dodds

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #25292 on: February 05, 2014, 03:14:27 AM »
I like DeLoss and all, but it seems like having Dennis Dodd write that story is a conflict of interest on his part, no?

Media types?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #25294 on: February 09, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »
lotta pig lipsticking going on in here

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140209/NEWS/140208719/1001#unl-s-big-ten-windfall-around-the-corner

I don't pay attention to this nearly as much as some of you but I didn't realize how much better of a deal Maryland got than NU

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25295 on: February 09, 2014, 09:48:16 AM »
Big Ten Windfall Right Around the Corner for NU.

:Woot:
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25296 on: February 09, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »
Jfc were they ever scared of Texas

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25297 on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »
lotta pig lipsticking going on in here

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140209/NEWS/140208719/1001#unl-s-big-ten-windfall-around-the-corner

I don't pay attention to this nearly as much as some of you but I didn't realize how much better of a deal Maryland got than NU

The writer seemingly does not understand the time value of money.  Maryland got a LOT better deal.  Shockingly so, in fact.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #25298 on: February 09, 2014, 10:54:11 AM »
Can you imagine their butthurt if for some reason UT joined the Big 10 and got the deal that Maryland got? They might have bombed Austin.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25299 on: February 09, 2014, 11:08:45 AM »
Can you imagine their butthurt if for some reason UT joined the Big 10 and got the deal that Maryland got? They might have bombed Austin.

Big 10 realized they needed a cooling off period.