Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4067165 times)

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25227 on: November 05, 2013, 11:37:43 AM »
Patterson has done all kinds of stuff.  I'm sure they want someone that's a little more business savvy when trying to get more traction with the LHN.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25228 on: November 05, 2013, 11:39:18 AM »
And by business savvy, I mean more than Luck, who pretty much botched the WVU T3 deal because he didn't understand the politics of WVU's current situation.

We all know Dodds is a boss.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #25229 on: November 05, 2013, 11:46:38 AM »
Is the new guy from ASU a bigtime Big12 fan?  :ohno:
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25230 on: November 05, 2013, 11:52:55 AM »
Patterson has done all kinds of stuff.  I'm sure they want someone that's a little more business savvy when trying to get more traction with the LHN.
Yeah, his resume is much more pro sports than college, making him even more $ oriented than a lot of career AD types. 

I would say this kind of hire is good for us, only a candidate with heavy Big12/Big 8 ties like Castiglione would of been better from a keep the band together stand point. 

I found this when trying find out more about his background http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/3060/steve-patterson-resigns and found this kind of interesting
It's an interesting case study to follow the path of Leiweke with the Seahawks and Patterson with the Trail Blazers. Both were hired around the same time and both were called to Seattle to interview directly with Paul Allen about how they would turn things around for Allen's teams after the departure of former executive Bob Whitsitt. I'm told of the story of when both were hired. Allen asked each to pick out a car. He told them they could get whatever they wanted. Leiweke, sensing that there needed to be some serious fiscal responsibility implemented in Seattle with the Seahawks selected an ordinary Toyota. Patterson, when given his choice, selected a BMW 7-series. Then shortly after, Patterson laid off 80+ Trail Blazers employees. Obviously a difference in styles from the outset for these two men.
I would be updating the resume if I were Barnes

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25231 on: November 05, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »
Texas is in the middle of some brand warfare now that A&M is in the SEC.  It makes total sense that they'd hire a marketing guy with a history of running an AD like a big business.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25232 on: November 05, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
Sounds like a badass.

Hopefully this guy convinces UT to buy A&M and liquidate it like a garage sale.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25233 on: November 05, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »
Texas is in the middle of some brand warfare now that A&M is in the SEC.  It makes total sense that they'd hire a marketing guy with a history of running an AD like a big business.
I could be wrong, but i am pretty sure he has never hired a FB or BB coach in college or in Portland.  I think the take away here is the billionaire boosters are still in charge, something that might of changed if it was Luck.

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25234 on: November 05, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
Sounds like a badass.

Hopefully this guy convinces UT to buy A&M and liquidate it like a garage sale.

Currie needs to send him a gift basket (with a BMW 7-Series inside of it) ASAP. You know in case this guy gets tired of the Big 12 or whatever. I don't need that kind of stress in my life again.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25235 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »
If we expand past 10 I can say with 100% confidence Cincy will be number 11. Take that to the bank.

Yeah, the real question is who will be number 12. A lot are saying BYU but I don't see that happening, as the Big 12 would cover 3 time zones.

Some are saying UCF or USF, but they just aren't that appealing at all imo.

We won't add any of those 3.

If we added Cincinnati, which we won't, the obvious 12th would be UCONN, which won't happen either.

How would that be obvious? They would be a worse addition than UCF, USF, or BYU. They have not won a game in football this year and have no following. Plus, they would be the biggest outlier ever.

BYU is out because we aren't going to be spread out over 3 time zones. As for UCONN over those garbage Florida schools, after all of these years are you still not getting that television revenue is driving this bus? No one gives a crap how good football programs are. Did you miss the Big 10 adding Rutgers and Maryland? That being said, all four of them are awful, we aren't adding them so it isn't worth talking about.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #25236 on: November 07, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »
Maryland infiltrates message boards to make the Big 10 move seem less stupid

http://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2013/11/07/marylands-plan-make-fans-embrace-big-ten-move#ixzz2jyR58X6S

university officials talked about seeing all the negative reaction and working to change attitudes. One official talked of plans to "engage professional assistance in helping to drop positive messages into the blogs, comments and message board sites. I will arrange for this service today."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25237 on: November 07, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »

http://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2013/11/07/marylands-plan-make-fans-embrace-big-ten-move#ixzz2jyR58X6S

university officials talked about seeing all the negative reaction and working to change attitudes. One official talked of plans to "engage professional assistance in helping to drop positive messages into the blogs, comments and message board sites. I will arrange for this service today."

Timhawk is a Cheyanne Zulu plant.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #25238 on: November 07, 2013, 11:02:09 AM »
If we expand past 10 I can say with 100% confidence Cincy will be number 11. Take that to the bank.

Yeah, the real question is who will be number 12. A lot are saying BYU but I don't see that happening, as the Big 12 would cover 3 time zones.

If we added Cincinnati, which we won't, the obvious 12th would be UCONN, which won't happen either.

How would that be obvious? They would be a worse addition than UCF, USF, or BYU. They have not won a game in football this year and have no following. Plus, they would be the biggest outlier ever.

BYU is out because we aren't going to be spread out over 3 time zones. As for UCONN over those garbage Florida schools, after all of these years are you still not getting that television revenue is driving this bus? No one gives a crap how good football programs are. Did you miss the Big 10 adding Rutgers and Maryland? That being said, all four of them are awful, we aren't adding them so it isn't worth talking about.

What market does UConn exactly bring? Hartford?

Yes, I know TV revenue is driving the bus, and UCF and USF are in bigger markets than UConn is. Tampa and Orlando are both top 20 markets. Hartford is number 30. Plus, the state of Florida puts Connecticut to shame in terms of the number of TV sets in the entire state.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25239 on: November 07, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »

seems like this could be a great oppy to make some extra money for goEMAW and it's posters.  send out feelers and see if they want to hire us to promote their agenda.  we at g.E are really good at groupthink #daxism

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #25240 on: November 07, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »

What market does UConn exactly bring? Hartford?

Yes, I know TV revenue is driving the bus, and UCF and USF are in bigger markets than UConn is. Tampa and Orlando are both top 20 markets. Hartford is number 30. Plus, the state of Florida puts Connecticut to shame in terms of the number of TV sets in the entire state.

Why discuss which options suck less?
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25241 on: November 07, 2013, 12:13:14 PM »

This blog could use a Maryland sock.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25242 on: November 19, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24249116/north-carolina-courts-uphold-accs-52m-lawsuit-against-maryland

Maryland made a bid to dismiss the ACC's suit, filed in North Carolina on Nov. 26, 2012. The school's attorneys argued that the case should be dismissed because the school is an arm of the state, and "Maryland and other states enjoy sovereign immunity that protects them from lawsuits."

North Carolina's Court of Appeals rejected that argument in its Tuesday ruling.

Not settled yet, but it looks like they might have to pay.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25243 on: November 19, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24249116/north-carolina-courts-uphold-accs-52m-lawsuit-against-maryland

Maryland made a bid to dismiss the ACC's suit, filed in North Carolina on Nov. 26, 2012. The school's attorneys argued that the case should be dismissed because the school is an arm of the state, and "Maryland and other states enjoy sovereign immunity that protects them from lawsuits."

Ouch

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25244 on: November 19, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »

I remember right around the time that Maryland announced the move to the Big Ten, their biggest donor, the Under Armor CEO/Founder, sold tens of millions in shares of UA stock.

Could be related, probably isn't related, but you know.  Maybe they were prepared?

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #25245 on: November 19, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »
It is so Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) that Maryland and Rutgers will be in the Big 10 soon. They're such weird fits.

LOL at the Big 10 though for making their conference even more horrendous at football by adding the two schools.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #25246 on: November 19, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »
It is so Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) that Maryland and Rutgers will be in the Big 10 soon. They're such weird fits.

LOL at the Big 10 though for making their conference even more horrendous at football by adding the two schools.
I'd have been more disappointed had we added either of them over WVU, but I don't give a crap about academics for a sports conference. I'd have taken Maryland over TCU though, but not Rutgers.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25247 on: December 11, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
If you follow #img today, you'll get the 5 BCS conference presidents at the IMG Forum.

First up...
Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs
Jim Delany says  a separate division for BCS leagues "is not off the table" #img

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25248 on: December 11, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »
If you follow #img today, you'll get the 5 BCS conference presidents at the IMG Forum.

First up...
Jim Delany says  a separate division for BCS leagues "is not off the table" #img

LOL right. By not off the table, he means, he's still trying to convince everyone that this is a good idea when it isn't

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25249 on: December 11, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »
Bowlsby: if we proceed down the path of employee-employer relationship .. We will forever have lost our way. #img