Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4144699 times)

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #36125 on: August 23, 2023, 03:13:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1694435450511933466?t=MyAVonj_8wckFQpdICJZ2g&s=19

This seems like a horrific idea and very desperate on both sides

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36127 on: August 23, 2023, 03:18:58 PM »
SMU is that desperate girl who used to be hot but now she's kind of Meh and has to get married in the next 6 months she gets written out of the trust. 

On her first date she is promising to take care of you financially and give you daily SEX STUFF for the rest of your life if you just marry her. Please please please just marry me!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36128 on: August 23, 2023, 03:45:02 PM »
SMU is that desperate girl who used to be hot but now she's kind of Meh and has to get married in the next 6 months she gets written out of the trust. 

On her first date she is promising to take care of you financially and give you daily SEX STUFF for the rest of your life if you just marry her. Please please please just marry me!

Meh. *unzips*

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36129 on: August 23, 2023, 05:39:37 PM »
NO SPRACNE!!!  :sdeek:
Meh. *unzips*
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36130 on: August 23, 2023, 05:57:08 PM »
SPRACNE/KATDADDY NO!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36131 on: August 23, 2023, 05:59:21 PM »

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36132 on: August 23, 2023, 06:26:12 PM »
Katdaddy/Spracs get it
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36133 on: August 23, 2023, 08:29:33 PM »
LOL, LOL, LOL...  :ROFL:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36134 on: August 24, 2023, 06:05:37 PM »
This guy is pretty intense. Interesting point about consolidation happening in any industry. I hadn't thought about it in that way before.

https://twitter.com/AJ_DonWilliams/status/1694516455134376318

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36135 on: August 25, 2023, 02:10:47 PM »
This guy is pretty intense. Interesting point about consolidation happening in any industry. I hadn't thought about it in that way before.

His quote didn't match the narrative of the tweet.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36136 on: August 25, 2023, 02:39:57 PM »

His quote didn't match the narrative of the tweet.

Journos
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36137 on: August 26, 2023, 12:08:02 AM »
It would have been amazing to see how Snyder would have danced around this beauty of a rule.

Also, probably nothing noteworthy at all about the Big Ten moving toward a process that helps clarify betting lines.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38260247/big-ten-implement-gameday-availability-reports-beginning-season

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36138 on: August 26, 2023, 12:34:39 AM »
I could swear that BY announced around a month ago that the Big XII has live data input for some betting groups. 

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36139 on: August 28, 2023, 08:13:59 AM »
There are probably 5-10 schools that should've done what SMU is trying to do.

It's insane to think they are under consideration above a few others.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36140 on: August 28, 2023, 10:13:55 AM »
The media revenue, for most schools, is their biggest chunk of revenue. SMU must have commitments from donors to make up that money with increased donations. A lot of g5 schools who have been more successful than SMU like SDSU, Boise, Memphis, Troy, Marshall, Western Michigan, likely don't have alumni willing to commit the money to do so. The more important piece of this is these schools finding a conference that wants them. It's yet to be seen that the ACC actually wants SMU, the talk their has only come from University Park to the ACC and not the other way around.

G5 schools have had plenty of upward mobility both within the G5 and into the P5. A lot of these schools are at their max and now you can argue that some of these schools, like SMU, might already be in a conference beyond where they should be. SMU has only been AAC worthy because of their money and location, their results and support have not merited that level. Now that the AAC is watered down, they're fine there now but they should have previously been in CUSA with Rice.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36141 on: August 28, 2023, 11:47:49 AM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36142 on: August 28, 2023, 11:55:34 AM »
The media revenue, for most schools, is their biggest chunk of revenue. SMU must have commitments from donors to make up that money with increased donations. A lot of g5 schools who have been more successful than SMU like SDSU, Boise, Memphis, Troy, Marshall, Western Michigan, likely don't have alumni willing to commit the money to do so. The more important piece of this is these schools finding a conference that wants them. It's yet to be seen that the ACC actually wants SMU, the talk their has only come from University Park to the ACC and not the other way around.

G5 schools have had plenty of upward mobility both within the G5 and into the P5. A lot of these schools are at their max and now you can argue that some of these schools, like SMU, might already be in a conference beyond where they should be. SMU has only been AAC worthy because of their money and location, their results and support have not merited that level. Now that the AAC is watered down, they're fine there now but they should have previously been in CUSA with Rice.

That makes a lot more sense. I kept scratching my head about the SMU rumors. I live right next to it, and often forget it exists. There's very little local buzz for SMU. If people are thinking they are going to "deliver the Metroplex market" they are sorely mistaken.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36144 on: August 29, 2023, 03:18:00 PM »
Cal and Stanford just aren't up to our pedigree.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36145 on: August 29, 2023, 08:19:36 PM »
I don't know if this interview with ASU president Michael Crow has been talked about.  He says towards the end of the interview the major networks didn't want Apple in the game and swooped in and took OU & UW.  Also says that his loyalty wasn't just being in the PAC 12, but trying to keep a regional conference together and if ASU was in the Big XII he would have felt the same way.  He doesn't have anything against the Big XII, he just wishes it would be more regional.  He does like the fact that they have UU, CU, UA, BYU, and the four Texas schools to compete with all 20 of their sports.

.https://youtu.be/5fUdUr5HWbM?si=UL82xakU4DKVDPgk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36146 on: August 29, 2023, 10:22:21 PM »
I don't know if this interview with ASU president Michael Crow has been talked about.  He says towards the end of the interview the major networks didn't want Apple in the game and swooped in and took OU & UW.  Also says that his loyalty wasn't just being in the PAC 12, but trying to keep a regional conference together and if ASU was in the Big XII he would have felt the same way.  He doesn't have anything against the Big XII, he just wishes it would be more regional.  He does like the fact that they have UU, CU, UA, BYU, and the four Texas schools to compete with all 20 of their sports.

.https://youtu.be/5fUdUr5HWbM?si=UL82xakU4DKVDPgk

I've said this in this thread a roughly a billion times and apparently I knew it before the Pac 12 leadership did. ESPN views Apple TV as a competitor of ESPN+, they're not going to partner with anyone who tries to take content to another streamer. They said that themselves when they opted out of MLS after being with them literally since the first match of the league.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36147 on: August 29, 2023, 10:30:01 PM »
Seems to be a lot of smoke about Apple being a potential suitor to buy ESPN from Disney tho
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36148 on: August 29, 2023, 11:31:52 PM »
Seems to be a lot of smoke about Apple being a potential suitor to buy ESPN from Disney tho

Yeah, that's different crap. ESPN's current owners have made it abundantly clear that they want exclusivity with there sports streaming rights. The don't share a single streaming league with any other streamer, not one. They weren't going to make an exception for the Pac 12, or any other college sports property.

It's worth noting that they do share MLB and NHL with their league streaming services but the parent company that does the streaming for both of them BamTech is also owned by Disney.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36149 on: August 30, 2023, 03:33:25 AM »
My guess is streamers aren't going to get any conference at a value as long as the large linear networks are interested.  I suppose they see streamers as serious competition for a limited piece of the sports pie.