Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4145481 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #36150 on: August 30, 2023, 07:22:02 AM »
It’s probably the right thing to do to bring those 4 in. I hope it works out.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36151 on: August 30, 2023, 07:22:57 AM »
But we better not put “PAC” in the name of the conference. That’s dead.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36152 on: August 30, 2023, 08:56:59 AM »
Wild West Conference

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36153 on: August 30, 2023, 08:59:05 AM »
After listening to a few podcasts about the Big XII getting the 4 leftovers, I am convinced that it would be a DBL. negative for the conference.  It would give the old PAC schools the same voting power as the hateful(original) 8 and they would or could change what we want to what they want.  I don't think that would be an ideal situation for the future of the conference.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36154 on: August 30, 2023, 09:01:52 AM »
Wild West Conference

WE already have rights to Big XII, XVI, and XX.  TY Bob.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36155 on: August 30, 2023, 09:07:53 AM »
After listening to a few podcasts about the Big XII getting the 4 leftovers, I am convinced that it would be a DBL. negative for the conference.  It would give the old PAC schools the same voting power as the hateful(original) 8 and they would or could change what we want to what they want.  I don't think that would be an ideal situation for the future of the conference.

The 4 PAC schools we added will always be looking for a way out if they can find equal or greater revenue opportunities.  Adding 4 more won't make things any better. 

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36156 on: August 30, 2023, 10:06:30 AM »
Wild West Conference

Amazing foresight given his lack of foresight in other things
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36157 on: August 30, 2023, 10:11:47 AM »
I've seen articles indicating the 4 remaining teams are going to be the beneficiaries of $65m in NCAA tournament payouts if they stick together in the PAC.  I don't know what happens to that if there is a "merger" with the B12 but that's a pretty good chunk of change (particularly to those 4 if they're left out of a power conference). 

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36158 on: August 30, 2023, 11:25:50 AM »
They also have a "war chest" and it is substantial.  They could easily pay off their debt and have enough left to subsidize their payout as the ACC is trying to do.  Maybe we bring them in at $10 million per year and add other payouts from CFP and NCAA, plus bowl money and whatever we get from ESPN+ it could add up to $25 million plus.  That should satisfy their shares and add 80 million plus to give out to the other schools.  80/16 million amounts to about 5 million more per school and should put us at 55 million plus.  I still don't think it's worth it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36159 on: August 30, 2023, 01:02:38 PM »
Nope. Sorry. Do not want. Let's stand pat at 16. Particularly OSU and WSU. Dead weight.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36160 on: August 30, 2023, 02:06:02 PM »
Nope. Sorry. Do not want. Let's stand pat at 16. Particularly OSU and WSU. Dead weight.

This is where I'm at as well. I don't see an advantage, or a need to add any of the remaining PAC schools.

Quote from: deputy dawg
The 4 PAC schools we added will always be looking for a way out if they can find equal or greater revenue opportunities.  Adding 4 more won't make things any better.

I doubt it. The only options to go up are the big 10 and SEC and neither of those conferences have acted even remotely interested in adding those schools. Nobody in Michigan wants to watch Baylor play Arizona State. Likewise for the people in Alabama or Georgia.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36161 on: August 30, 2023, 02:13:25 PM »
I've seen articles indicating the 4 remaining teams are going to be the beneficiaries of $65m in NCAA tournament payouts if they stick together in the PAC.  I don't know what happens to that if there is a "merger" with the B12 but that's a pretty good chunk of change (particularly to those 4 if they're left out of a power conference).

I think it was Bob Thompson, former FOX exec, who I saw say this.  He said that if the PAC completely dissolves then the NCAA credits revert back to the teams and their new conference. I think he referenced the SWC when it dissolved as a precedent.  As long as there is some legal entity known as the PAC, it will get the credits.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36162 on: August 30, 2023, 02:53:55 PM »
I'm sure it was Bob Thompson - he's been pretty great on realignment.

From everything I've read, there's just no incentive to add any schools unless a TV partner changes our deal to do it.   The TV people seem pretty clear that they're not interested in changing our deal for those 4 schools. Maybe the NCAA payouts plus language in the current contract could get us there in this deal, but the payouts would be challenging to collect and it may piss off our TV partners who seem fine leaving them by the wayside.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36163 on: August 30, 2023, 03:08:12 PM »
I'd be totally good with either adding or not adding those four. Either way seems like a pretty great situation.

And the prospect of eventually adding ACC schools doesn't change anything for me. Like, what's the real difference between a 20 team conference and a 24 team one?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36164 on: August 30, 2023, 03:34:38 PM »
Wild West Conference

That was a rumor that turned out to be untrue

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36165 on: August 30, 2023, 03:49:53 PM »
I'd be totally good with either adding or not adding those four. Either way seems like a pretty great situation.

And the prospect of eventually adding ACC schools doesn't change anything for me. Like, what's the real difference between a 20 team conference and a 24 team one?

I mostly agree, but I'd like to think BY has a strategic plan that's focused on a number (20, 24, etc.) taking into account all the variables (TV revenue, etc.). Whatever the number is, if you assume there is one (and, maybe there isn't), then you're weighing those 4 schools against UConn, Gonzaga and whatever you project as the remnants of the ACC when it meets its demise.

So the question is, are those 4 schools worse/better than: Boston College, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Syracuse & Wake Forest - the schools that won't be in the SEC/Big Ten - as well as Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia Tech (the schools that could get in, but might not). This assumes Clemson, FSU, UNC and Virginia are gonzo.

If 24 is your number, then, by all means, add those four. But if 20 is your number, you could make an argument that several of the above schools bring more to the table - especially if the "maybe" schools don't get called up to the big leagues.

Of all the public schools on that list, OSU and WSU are behind all the others in 2022 athletics revenue by at least $15 million (for whatever that's worth).

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36166 on: August 30, 2023, 03:54:36 PM »
Yeah, like when I announced the 30 million per school ESPN offered to the PAC last fall was untrue.  :rolleyes:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36167 on: August 30, 2023, 04:02:11 PM »
I really wish we were only adding Arizona and Utah.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36168 on: August 30, 2023, 04:31:12 PM »

Colorado had $95 million in revenue in 2022 - $21 million behind Utah, $26 million behind ASU, $29 million behind Arizona. And, even $5 million behind lowly K-State. In fact, if you were to add the revenue the other new teams would have gotten if they had been in the Big 12 last year, CU would have the lowest revenue of any of the public schools in the new Big 12.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36169 on: August 30, 2023, 04:39:41 PM »

I mostly agree, but I'd like to think BY has a strategic plan that's focused on a number (20, 24, etc.)

He says publicly that he does not have a plan for a particular number but does have one for stretching coast to coast.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36170 on: August 30, 2023, 05:17:51 PM »

I mostly agree, but I'd like to think BY has a strategic plan that's focused on a number (20, 24, etc.)

He says publicly that he does not have a plan for a particular number but does have one for stretching coast to coast.
I know I'm dumb, but why the boner for coast-to-coast? Do fans refuse to go to games or shut off the TV on Saturday evening because they have to get up for early church the next morning. Can't MDT/MST schools schedule their game an hour later for TV?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36171 on: August 30, 2023, 06:48:20 PM »

Colorado had $95 million in revenue in 2022 - $21 million behind Utah, $26 million behind ASU, $29 million behind Arizona. And, even $5 million behind lowly K-State. In fact, if you were to add the revenue the other new teams would have gotten if they had been in the Big 12 last year, CU would have the lowest revenue of any of the public schools in the new Big 12.

Isn't some of the difference between the zona schools and Colorado that they have way more athletic programs? Also the zona schools contribute quite a bit more to the AD through student fees than CU does.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36172 on: August 30, 2023, 06:50:56 PM »
Wild West Conference

Seemed too good to be true
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36173 on: August 30, 2023, 07:44:24 PM »

I know I'm dumb, but why the boner for coast-to-coast? Do fans refuse to go to games or shut off the TV on Saturday evening because they have to get up for early church the next morning. Can't MDT/MST schools schedule their game an hour later for TV?

It's just the ability have games in every window, it's more visibility.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36174 on: August 30, 2023, 07:48:14 PM »
Wild West Conference

Seemed too good to be true

It's also not how trademark law works. If you have a trademark you have to be able to show that you're actively utilizing said trademark. You just can't trademark a bunch of things then just sit on them for 10 years.