Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4055214 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30850 on: July 22, 2021, 08:38:48 PM »
who are these "sources" for all these people

My bet would be this character: https://youtu.be/LenfTCVGnvg?t=72

This was (I think) the UT bookstore's parody video. Does anyone remember A&M releasing that super dorky video when they joined the SEC (circa 2012)? Apparently, A&M's official YouTube quickly took it down after getting universally ridiculed for it, but it HAS to be out there somewhere. C'mon, internet sleuths...

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30851 on: July 22, 2021, 08:43:55 PM »
Spracne what are your sources saying about UT?  Done deal I bet.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30852 on: July 22, 2021, 08:45:08 PM »
Think how fun it would be if the Cats played PAC 12 schedule with non-conference games against KU and “old” rivalries in OU/TX/Nubs/MU, etc.  College football would get really fun again.  No more cream puffs.  Every game is exciting.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30853 on: July 22, 2021, 08:52:00 PM »
This is an interesting read:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31863713/texas-oklahoma-joining-sec-break-gentlemen-agreement-league-schools

If this holds true, A&M controls the fate of UT.  OU still viable but not sure if OU would go alone.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30854 on: July 22, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »
Spracne what are your sources saying about UT?  Done deal I bet.

I don't have any UT sources, frankly. During my time at UT, I was too busy going pro in something other than sports. I'd much prefer UT in the Big 12, but, like many of the other Lions in Winter roaming this barren tundra of a blog, I have grown too old and frail to waste what little energies I have on such contrivances.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #30855 on: July 22, 2021, 08:55:06 PM »
We don’t get to choose and it’s hard to see KSU leadership being proactive, but if there was a choice between status quo (including texas and ou routinely contemplating torpedo’n us) vs. us and select schools from our region and the in-between joining a super pac, it’s time to go.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30856 on: July 22, 2021, 09:00:48 PM »
"I can recall a meeting with the commissioner and a few of our regents that were with me, [Texas] came up in the conversation," Loftin said. "Mike assured us that they got what they wanted in Texas A&M because they got the Texas market, and they got a school which was very compatible with SEC schools."

-

And he found Texas' interest to be an about-face, particularly after having discussed realignment possibilities with his counterpart in Austin, Texas president Bill Powers, who died in 2019.

"They have a very high opinion of themselves -- which is not surprising -- but not always justified. And that drives a lot of thinking there," Loftin said. "Bill Powers was very clear to me that they felt much more akin to the schools in the Big Ten and on the West Coast. He was very dismissive of the SEC because he felt academically it was an inferior conference. He's no longer around, I understand that. But the fit, culturally, of A&M and the SEC is very good. The fit of Texas is not. That's just plain and simple."

This a&m guy makes a good point about a&m being really gross.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30857 on: July 22, 2021, 09:02:40 PM »
This is an interesting read:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31863713/texas-oklahoma-joining-sec-break-gentlemen-agreement-league-schools

If this holds true, A&M controls the fate of UT.  OU still viable but not sure if OU would go alone.

This was actually a surprisingly cogent and coherent observation by Colonel Sanders:

"They have a very high opinion of themselves -- which is not surprising -- but not always justified. And that drives a lot of thinking there," Loftin said. "Bill Powers was very clear to me that they felt much more akin to the schools in the Big Ten and on the West Coast. He was very dismissive of the SEC because he felt academically it was an inferior conference. He's no longer around, I understand that. But the fit, culturally, of A&M and the SEC is very good. The fit of Texas is not. That's just plain and simple."

Edit: didn't see Trim's post before mine, but funny we both keyed in on that. It is true, though.

Re-edit: pic of Col. Sanders:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 09:05:59 PM by Spracne »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30858 on: July 22, 2021, 09:16:07 PM »
I remember talking about pods and high volume posters here said it wouldn't happen. 

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1418200448968896516

I'm certain in the context that theory was posted those high volume posters were correct after all that Missouri and A&M joined the conference 10 years ago. I don't know if you can hold on to a lottery ticket for 10-13 years then get to cash it in when your numbers eventually hit.

It was more 8ish years ago when the Big12 had the opportunity to grab st least Florida State, Clemson, and Louisville as the North Carolina basketball schools negotiated a meh ACC TV contract. The Big 12 could have been raiders instead of the prize.  It's always been a march towards pods and still is.  It's easier to graft to a qausi playoff, it's cleaner than BCS and now this current playoff iteration.  But the near universal opinion here was nah, we got that TV money split 10 ways, the GOR, and it's in the way way future time of 2025, surely there will be better times ahead after that too.  Cashing in on nothing but saying the writing was on the walls.  Get to stability or you'll always be on soft footing.  What people need to push for now is stability and safety for K-State more than 8 to 10 years out.  Recall it wasn't Nebraska or a&m that made the first push that started this whole thing over a decade ago 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30859 on: July 22, 2021, 09:23:56 PM »
From a Chip Brown article posted a few hours ago:

State Rep. Jeff Leach of Plano announced on social media Thursday he’ll be filing a bill “requiring legislative approval for UT to bolt the BIG XII.”

“The lack of transparency by our flagship institution is wrong,” Leach said on Twitter. “Such a monumental economic and educational decision impacting the entire state must not be made in a bubble on the Forty Acres.”

I hadn't even thought about my degree getting defiled by association with the SEC. I will now move to Plano and vote for Mr. Leach for the rest of my life.

Mind you, TTU, OSU, TCU, BU, KSU, and WVU aren't exactly Vanderbilt, either.

Regardless, pretty entertaining and diverting theatre for ol' Spracs. Think I'll call UT and offer to donate $100 if they stay in the Big 12.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30860 on: July 22, 2021, 09:24:40 PM »
I remember talking about pods and high volume posters here said it wouldn't happen. 

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1418200448968896516

I'm certain in the context that theory was posted those high volume posters were correct after all that Missouri and A&M joined the conference 10 years ago. I don't know if you can hold on to a lottery ticket for 10-13 years then get to cash it in when your numbers eventually hit.

It was more 8ish years ago when the Big12 had the opportunity to grab st least Florida State, Clemson, and Louisville as the North Carolina basketball schools negotiated a meh ACC TV contract. The Big 12 could have been raiders instead of the prize.  It's always been a march towards pods and still is.  It's easier to graft to a qausi playoff, it's cleaner than BCS and now this current playoff iteration.  But the near universal opinion here was nah, we got that TV money split 10 ways, the GOR, and it's in the way way future time of 2025, surely there will be better times ahead after that too.  Cashing in on nothing but saying the writing was on the walls.  Get to stability or you'll always be on soft footing.  What people need to push for now is stability and safety for K-State more than 8 to 10 years out.  Recall it wasn't Nebraska or a&m that made the first push that started this whole thing over a decade ago

Yeah, it was still the right play to stay at 10. Clemson and the North Carolina schools weren't in play. We definitely could have had Louisville before the ACC took them but they absolutely would have decreased total value to the conference, not added it. The ACC is still behind the Big 12 in television revenue but I think they finally will pull head in 2023. Also adding Louisville and whatever other ACC schools you're thinking of wouldn't have stopped UT about asking about the SEC. They're already the top revenue producing school in the country. This is all about vanity and status and there isn't a combination of any ACC schools that would make the Big 12 a better football conference than the SEC.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30861 on: July 22, 2021, 09:33:42 PM »
From a Chip Brown article posted a few hours ago:

State Rep. Jeff Leach of Plano announced on social media Thursday he’ll be filing a bill “requiring legislative approval for UT to bolt the BIG XII.”

“The lack of transparency by our flagship institution is wrong,” Leach said on Twitter. “Such a monumental economic and educational decision impacting the entire state must not be made in a bubble on the Forty Acres.”

I hadn't even thought about my degree getting defiled by association with the SEC. I will now move to Plano and vote for Mr. Leach for the rest of my life.

Mind you, TTU, OSU, TCU, BU, KSU, and WVU aren't exactly Vanderbilt, either.

Regardless, pretty entertaining and diverting theatre for ol' Spracs. Think I'll call UT and offer to donate $100 if they stay in the Big 12.

KU ain't Vanderbilt . . . either.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30862 on: July 22, 2021, 10:07:13 PM »
Boner warning

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30863 on: July 22, 2021, 10:10:50 PM »
Colorado would hate that so, so much.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30864 on: July 22, 2021, 10:13:17 PM »
Dump the iowans for something west of kansas.

Offline BoondockSooner

• Land Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30865 on: July 22, 2021, 10:24:49 PM »
This crap sucks and I hate it. More things I love being ruined by money.  :lynchmob:

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30866 on: July 22, 2021, 10:31:01 PM »
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30867 on: July 22, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
Boner warning

Eastards

Will be fun when Sean takes over for Helton and returns home to play the Cats

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30868 on: July 22, 2021, 11:05:05 PM »
Colorado would hate that so, so much.

Ha!  I can see a revival of "the best part of Manhattan Kansas is seeing it in your rear view mirror" quotes from those poor Buff fans.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30869 on: July 22, 2021, 11:14:08 PM »
I’m fully on board with the mega PAC.  I’ll be able to see the cats now and then without having to travel east of the Rockies.  What a win for tdaverfam.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30870 on: July 22, 2021, 11:23:20 PM »
Call it the Big Pac w/the divisions being Pac 8 and Big 8.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30871 on: July 22, 2021, 11:31:32 PM »
Why in the world would we do that when Bob Bowlsby will come up with a genius plan that will allow us to stay in the good old Big 12 with 7 of our Big 12 bros and cherry pick a couple teams from the AAC?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30872 on: July 23, 2021, 12:02:25 AM »
WE OWN CALI CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30874 on: July 23, 2021, 06:24:44 AM »
It would be some kind of poetic justice if all four schools that left the Big 12 because they were less than thrilled with the Big 12 end up finding themselves less than thrilled in their new conferences.