Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 2660345 times)

kstater, CNS, Dugout DickStone, nicname, wiley, Purple Apathy, Denver, chum1 (+ 1 Hidden) and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30800 on: July 22, 2021, 01:13:54 AM »
They’ll negotiate a buyout. It will pay for itself with the tv money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30801 on: July 22, 2021, 01:49:55 AM »
They’ll negotiate a buyout. It will pay for itself with the tv money

What would the motivation be from the other conference teams to give them a buyout? The GOR is designed to prevent exactly that.

And I don't know how anyone could claim "it would pay for itself with tv money." Literally anyone. The best anyone could hope for there is that ESPN and FOX tear up their deals that were negotiated 8 months ago and don't even go into effect for another 3 years. No one knows if that money is there, not even ESPN knows that, Disney is slashing everywhere and they would literally have to commit a minimum of $1 billion over 10 years to make it work.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30802 on: July 22, 2021, 06:05:52 AM »
If Vandy, Miss State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas and I’d even add Auburn at this point . . . vote for this (if it’s true).  Then they might as well issue a joint statement proclaiming they have no intention of ever winning an SEC football championship and are simply there to play games and collect checks.   They might as well add that they also have no real aspirations to make the CFBPO even if they’re expanded to 12 or even 16. 

Straight up LOL’ing at at MethU and CultAggie if this happens.   They both run their mouths about escaping the Big Texas conference and CultAggie will continue to talk a huge game and yet never win anything.  Imagine being a CultAggie weirdo all super horned up to win and yet knowing deep inside you’ll never win anything and now you’re competing directly against your Daddy again? 

LOL.

I was also thinking about Nebraska yesterday.  20 years since they’ve last won a conference title in football and they still have never won an NCAA tourney basketball game, ever.  Now relegated to conference piss boy, a total afterthought, but with tens of thousands of clod kickers in Starter jackets claiming how happy they are in the BiG.   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 06:09:39 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #30803 on: July 22, 2021, 06:44:57 AM »
I'm still exhausted over it all. Just rip the bandaid off. I care, but sort of don't. I'm kind of ready for my break up with college sports.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30804 on: July 22, 2021, 06:53:38 AM »
OU and Texas have all the money in the world.  Moving to SEC is purely to stay competitive with recruiting.  They don’t want a 5-star QB from Dallas to choose Bama and make millions from local Texas businesses.  I’m confident this is all happening because of NIL.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30805 on: July 22, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »
OU just landed the top QB in the country. 

Does anyone really think that Norman Meat Rubs or Oklahoma Chicken Fryers featuring the Tom Hayes Chicken Fingers Deluxe was going to hold tight until OU was going to the SEC. 

Didn’t Rattler already sign with Cane’s?

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30806 on: July 22, 2021, 07:12:23 AM »
OU and UT employ business and operations intelligence people to monitor financial reports, industry moves, moves made by rivals, etc.   It appears that OU and UT have concluded that the upcoming TV deals are not going to satisfy their revenue requirements, and that the broadcast landscape has changed entirely.  They are going to move pre-emptively to preserve their program status - we've all seen how quickly OU can throw the conference under the bus, this should come as no surprise. 

My only consolation?  We aren't being subjected to the moronic musings of OU's David Boren. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30807 on: July 22, 2021, 07:14:41 AM »
Wow, I picked the wrong couple days to not tune into the board....just seeing this now.  :eek:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30808 on: July 22, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »
College Football if it even exists in 10 year will be regional interest sport with huge swaths of the country not caring.   That’s already the case now and that’s going to accelerate.   

It’ll be a Southern/Texas thing.   The only thing that will save that from being diluted by migration South is the massive influx of Northern out of state students who stay in the region.   But even then, dilution.   It will be the sport of townies, regionalists and Southern homers. 

Not sustainable on a national scale.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30809 on: July 22, 2021, 07:19:30 AM »
i'm at a much different place in my life this time around. Whatever happens, happens.

This is DEFINITELY true for me.  I've grieved "this day" for over a decade.  I'm at peace with it.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gucci Mane Book Reader
    • View Profile
« Reply #30810 on: July 22, 2021, 07:20:25 AM »
The Texas/A&M sideshow is pretty entertaining. But, man, those people are so emotionally sensitive that it's also kind of annoying.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30811 on: July 22, 2021, 07:26:09 AM »
The Texas/A&M sideshow is pretty entertaining. But, man, those people are so emotionally sensitive that it's also kind of annoying.

Yes, the sadist in me is rooting for that side show to take center stage.   :fatty:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30812 on: July 22, 2021, 07:27:19 AM »
How much more money do you think this blog could make as a KU basketball and KSU meat judging site?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30813 on: July 22, 2021, 07:30:27 AM »
I’m handling this worse than I expected.  It will have to be a straight CFB divorce for me.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30814 on: July 22, 2021, 07:38:12 AM »
I’m handling this worse than I expected.  It will have to be a straight CFB divorce for me.
What do you think will change so much that you quit?

Online 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30815 on: July 22, 2021, 07:40:48 AM »

it's bad. i won't divorce, but there's going to be a significant grief period.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30816 on: July 22, 2021, 07:46:17 AM »
The SEC Network will be a standalone $20 per month subscription service eventually.  The cord cutters and the move to ala carte TV selection will have vast swaths of the country opting out of paying for services that they don’t care about.   Carriage rights will have to go up to sustain the TV contracts.  Driving cord cutting and more expensive ala carte app driven viewership.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #30817 on: July 22, 2021, 07:47:25 AM »
I’m pretty meh about any of this. A long time ago I cared a lot. Embarrassed that I did tbh.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #30818 on: July 22, 2021, 08:04:14 AM »
nFm
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30819 on: July 22, 2021, 08:07:33 AM »
I'm on team Dax as to how this will look 10-15 years from now.  NCAA football product isn't getting better as a whole. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gucci Mane Book Reader
    • View Profile
« Reply #30820 on: July 22, 2021, 08:09:04 AM »
The first iteratation Big 12 was so freaking awesome. Just incredible how that fell apart.

Being in a hodgepodge leftover version of that conference bothers me more than being in a non power conference. Like, being in a hodgepodge MWC honestly seems preferable. Let the Big 12 die.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #30821 on: July 22, 2021, 08:48:56 AM »
OU and Texas were just going through the motions with the Big 12 until us kids were old enough to move out and live on our own.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30822 on: July 22, 2021, 08:52:37 AM »

Luckily we have our lord and savior Patrick Mahomes II to welcome us in his sweet embrace.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30823 on: July 22, 2021, 08:55:00 AM »
OU and Texas were just going through the motions with the Big 12 until us kids were old enough to move out and live on our own.

:lol:

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30824 on: July 22, 2021, 08:56:13 AM »

I'll also stop watching CFB entirely (probably basketball, too, once the NCAA falls apart and March Madness is gone). I don't think that is handling things poorly, though. I also don't watch minor league baseball. If college athletics is going to be a farm league for the pros that my school doesn't even participate in, then why the hell would I watch?