Author Topic: why did kruger leave k-state?  (Read 35501 times)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
Re: why did kruger leave k-state?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »
in a previous life, i really hope i was aaron burr and you were alexander hamilton.

did you see where i posted that i hoped you made a fortune on the kstate-tech game?  wow, that was so nice of me.

oh, i did not see that. thank you for saying something kind. :thumbsup:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 11:11:35 PM »
Wooly's hire has to be viewed in the context of where we were. Wasn't Asbury an ncaa tourney coach just once here?
Wooldridge came from the Bulls, seemed young and less like an a-hole personally than terrible Tom. I don't remember anyone whooping and hollering with excitement but it seemed like a decent enough hire at the time.

I think you're misremembering this slightly. A significant portion of our fanbase thought that we were hiring Tim Floyd and were terribly disappointed when they found out it was Wooly.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 11:28:17 PM »
Wooly's hire has to be viewed in the context of where we were. Wasn't Asbury an ncaa tourney coach just once here?
Wooldridge came from the Bulls, seemed young and less like an a-hole personally than terrible Tom. I don't remember anyone whooping and hollering with excitement but it seemed like a decent enough hire at the time.

I think you're misremembering this slightly. A significant portion of our fanbase thought that we were hiring Tim Floyd and were terribly disappointed when they found out it was Wooly.

Could be. I was never impressed with Floyd, but he certainly was a big name back then.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 11:36:19 PM »

Literally everyone was disappointed at the time of the hire.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 11:38:16 PM »
This article hints at his lazy recruiting but it really isn't his words

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1990-12-30/features/9003050532_1_youthful-talent-brian-hogan-lon-kruger/2

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 12:08:36 AM »
Not sure anyone really cared who we hired...we just wanted to be rid of Asbury.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 12:40:45 AM »
i'm amazed at the lack of knowledge of ksu hoops history on display in this thread.

Offline joaks01

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 12:48:39 AM »
Knocked up a cheerleader was the rumor I'd always heard.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 02:00:51 AM »

I am sure.  We were disappointed because we thought we were getting Tim Floyd.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 07:43:19 AM »
i'm amazed at the lack of knowledge of ksu hoops history on display in this thread.

there was no goEMAW at the time. ask me something about the Bob Huggins/Frank Martin/oscar Weber eras.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 07:51:11 AM »

there was no goEMAW at the time. ask me something about the Bob Huggins/Frank Martin/oscar Weber eras.

Did LHC Bill Snyder push for Currie to get rid of Frank?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 07:57:56 AM »

No. Currie actually doesn't do much of what Bill wants him to do anyway. They don't, like, like each other.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 08:11:23 AM »
I remember having a nice conversation with Steve Miller while we waited to get our haircut at the Snip N Clip in the mall back in the day.  Very personable fellow.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 08:13:26 AM »
Did not realize we had an AD before Max Urick
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 08:16:26 AM »
Did not realize we had an AD named Max Urick

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2015, 08:47:04 AM »
Did not realize we had an AD named Max Urick

Fun fact, he coached football at a school called Wabash
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »

No. Currie actually doesn't do much of what Bill wants him to do anyway. They don't, like, like each other.

Can you imagine if Currie pulled what he pulled on Jamar with a football stud before a big game or bowl game? I can't imagine. I don't think Bill would take it very well

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »

ya, KK had a "it's Floyd" moment IIRC in the early days of BTL.  I imagine Floyd (or his agent) told Max he would take the job because he thought he would get fired by the Bulls at the end of the season but when he actually talked with the Bulls management they decided to keep him.  They then fired him like 1 month into the next season.

Wooldridge was on Floyd's staff with the Bulls and was likely going to be the number 1 assistant here so just turning around and hiring Wooly would of been like us hiring like hiring Lowery if Weber had picked CofC.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2015, 09:39:52 AM »
It is....(reassuring? confusing?  troubling?) reflect on an AD with an even more perfunctory coaching search than our last bball hire.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »

ya, KK had a "it's Floyd" moment IIRC in the early days of BTL.  I imagine Floyd (or his agent) told Max he would take the job because he thought he would get fired by the Bulls at the end of the season but when he actually talked with the Bulls management they decided to keep him.  They then fired him like 1 month into the next season.

Wooldridge was on Floyd's staff with the Bulls and was likely going to be the number 1 assistant here so just turning around and hiring Wooly would of been like us hiring like hiring Lowery if Weber had picked CofC.

Regardless, once Wooly got Tex Winter's endorsement, it was pretty much a done deal. Then he was sold as a "program builder" because he turned his alma mater into a nearly .500 team.. Also took SW Texas State (now Texas State) to the tournament.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
I waited tables with Max's son. He didn't want anyone to know he was Max's son.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »
i know nothing about ksu hoops history, but was wondering why kruger left ksu for florida back in the early 90s? four straight ncaa tourneys, an elite eight, and LHC LHC Bill Snyder was just about to get things rolling in football.

ksu could have been been the dominant program (football & hoops) of the 90s had he stuck around.  :frown:
I imagine that the AD eventually told Lon there wasn't any more money for basketball when he kept bringing in other offers to get a raise. 

Snyder had demanded KSU borrow money to improve the football facilities and I imagine that pissed off Kruger who likely felt he had spent years building up a good basketball program as a player, assistant and head coach and didn't like resources being invested in the second class program.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
It is....(reassuring? confusing?  troubling?) reflect on an AD with an even more perfunctory coaching search than our last bball hire.

I enjoyed wefald's thoughts on hiring Altman:

"We have gone through a circumstance that is difficult for all of us," he said. "We understand that. But you go on. Kansas State University has endured, and will endure. I slept last night. I slept well. I felt good."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/still-stunned-k-state-gives-reins-to-altman/article_0c8f1b9e-7e8d-5726-aba7-5b58bf6b82c7.html

Also::

Offensively, we'll push the ball up and down the court. We're going to increase the tempo."

:D

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »

Regardless, once Wooly got Tex Winter's endorsement, it was pretty much a done deal. Then he was sold as a "program builder" because he turned his alma mater into a nearly .500 team.. Also took SW Texas State (now Texas State) to the tournament.
and then TechDawgfan posted on the OG kstatefans a Nostradamus-like post including playing just good enough to lose and running off the best players  :frown:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »

Gene Keady endorsement or Tex Winter endorsement?  Who ya got?

I think the Tex endorsement was better at the time and even now would be equally valuable to a Gene Keady endorsement.