Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356108 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
That’s pure, it’s fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
He was in a burning mood and also burned down the Old boxcar that was in the pig pen (no pigs have lived there in maybe 25 years)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah, that’s fine

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Finally got our windmill in the pasture fixed (the pump "rod"? Broke) this week even tho we don't really need it since the "river" is full.

A classic Aeromotor windmill from Chicago, can't wait for Tom to give me all the history of these bad bois.

I've never seen one in the wild that actually pumps water.  I need to stop by the Benji ranch to observe.  Honestly, I don't know much about them other than the ones I've been around are either ornamental or laying on their side in disrepair.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
He was in a burning mood and also burned down the Old boxcar that was in the pig pen (no pigs have lived there in maybe 25 years)

I got one that needs to be gone. Township fire chief said I would need a permit to burn it since it was "a structure."

Would be another good rabbit hole for this thread.  Like every farm had 1-2 boxcars for storage or incorporated into a barn.  What was peak boxcar inventory in this country?  Did the RR just give these things away?

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Burned down shed
This was the shed with all the sicklebars in the rafters.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
The cousin with mad farm skills is restoring an IH 1206.  Then we're hitting the parade circuit.

Tom

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Finally got our windmill in the pasture fixed (the pump "rod"? Broke) this week even tho we don't really need it since the "river" is full.

A classic Aeromotor windmill from Chicago, can't wait for Tom to give me all the history of these bad bois.

I've never seen one in the wild that actually pumps water.  I need to stop by the Benji ranch to observe.  Honestly, I don't know much about them other than the ones I've been around are either ornamental or laying on their side in disrepair.

Tom

It's amazing how well-galvanized those old windmills were.  We had a couple of windmills at my dad's farm and even though everything around them was rusted the windmills didn't have any rust on them.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Old Shawnee Days parade always has a little farm flavor.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tom

Why didn't you participate this year?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I got one that needs to be gone. Township fire chief said I would need a permit to burn it since it was "a structure."

Would be another good rabbit hole for this thread.  Like every farm had 1-2 boxcars for storage or incorporated into a barn.  What was peak boxcar inventory in this country?  Did the RR just give these things away?

Tom

No permits needed in Thomas county but my dad does call the local fire department to give them a heads up so they don't respond.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tom

My great aunt and uncle lived in one. I’m told it was pretty nice.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tom

My great aunt and uncle lived in one. I’m told it was pretty nice.

Pretty sure that back in the day to be considered a real farm on the plains you need either a boxcar or a quonset hut, if you had both you were big time.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We have probably 20 boxcars and at least one is built into a barn

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We have probably 20 boxcars and at least one is built into a barn

Tell me more. Are they all still standing? What are they used for? Barns/workshops/etc.

How did the SD ranch acquire them? I'm guessing you would just pick them up on a flatbed and dump them where you wanted them but I honestly have no idea since that boxcar in our pig pen area had been there since before I was alive.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Who's you boxcar dealer?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:McNee_Barns_boxcar_barn_Chase_County_Kansas.jpg

This was peak boxcar barn combo.  Neighbor had a similar set up though not as big.  We used ours to store bagged feed, mineral, salt blocks, seed.  Mom used to hang onions in it.  Set on a stone foundation car floor was the same height as the pickup.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Tom

Why didn't you participate this year?
I thought I would be in Chicago for work, but that got pushed.  I also forgot.  My son works for a local construction company so we might make an entry next year.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:McNee_Barns_boxcar_barn_Chase_County_Kansas.jpg

This was peak boxcar barn combo.  Neighbor had a similar set up though not as big.  We used ours to store bagged feed, mineral, salt blocks, seed.  Mom used to hang onions in it.  Set on a stone foundation car floor was the same height as the pickup.

Tom

That is amazing.

Also I had a shower thought this afternoon. Basically when meat packing shifted from KC/Omaha/Chicago etc to rural areas all the RR companies had a ton of cattle cars they didn't need anymore and that is why there are boxcars all over farms.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
why the hell are americans asking authorities if they can burn down their own crap, smdh

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Tom

That is amazing.

Also I had a shower thought this afternoon. Basically when meat packing shifted from KC/Omaha/Chicago etc to rural areas all the RR companies had a ton of cattle cars they didn't need anymore and that is why there are boxcars all over farms.
Livestock cars were open air.  Their demise was due to the refrigerated box car.  Packers like Swift and Armour developed and built their own fleet of refrigerator cars because the railroads were making bank shipping live cattle and hogs.

My shower thought is box cars got replaced by trucks once the interstate system was in place.  That would have been 1950s so the timeline fits my dad's operation.

Packing plant migration began in the 1970s I think.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
My dad was born in 36.  He used to tell the story of taking cattle to Perry, loading them on the train to ship to KC.  This would have been as a kid so mid 40s perhaps?

Tom

« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 08:44:23 AM by KST8FAN »

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Corn progress update.  Tater in the picture for scale.  Heck, I even got a Wildcat hand sign the shadow.

Tom

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com

Is this really a tractor (yes I know it's not a tractor) worth posing in front of?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tom, get in here and tell us more about that giant smokestack exhaust thingy