Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 371841 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
My dad was checking some random game cams out at the cat ranch.

Coons, cats and yotes

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
A lot has happened since March
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

11:50 mark.  I suspected emissions, and this video confirmed. Tractor shipped to California.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
My dad was checking some random game cams out at the cat ranch.

Coons, cats and yotes
I need some guidance on cams for the farm.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I may be Luking here, but in the twilight of my dad's farming career he decided he wanted to be the first guy in the area to have a tracked tractor.  Despite some banker protests he got a Cat 45 Challenger.  It was a smooth ride the few times I rode along.

Side hustle was using the dirt box to smooth terraces.

Went thru one set of tracks then it didn't bring his reserve at the retirement auction.  I ended up listing it on one of the early online auction sites, and a guy in Minnesota bought it.

He is still the only farmer in our area to have owned a tracked tractor 15 years after he passed.

Tom

« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 10:41:43 PM by KST8FAN »

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Damn Tom. How many mpg you get on that hog?

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My dad is super excited he gets to drive his tenants tractor.

Original plan was to plant wheat in the breakout pasture and semi pivot this fall but all the rain in the past month has them all horned up.

Current plan is to plant 100 acres of Milo (3rd year in a row ) asap in the former pasture then the rest to wheat in the fall.

When he first sent me this pic I thought he was breaking out a new pasture area...but nope, there was Milo here the last 2 years.

"Workin"

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Fueling up. $1000 worth of diesel, I am using $250 worth (half tank on tractor)"

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
He was back in KC a couple of days ago so I asked him if he was back at the cat ranch or if these were old photos. His response

"Catless ranch for now"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
I may be Luking here, but in the twilight of my dad's farming career he decided he wanted to be the first guy in the area to have a tracked tractor.  Despite some banker protests he got a Cat 45 Challenger.  It was a smooth ride the few times I rode along.

Went thru one set of tracks then it didn't bring his reserve at the retirement auction.  I ended up listing it on one of the early online auction sites, and a guy in Minnesota bought it.

He is still the only farmer in our area to have owned a tracked tractor 15 years after he passed.

Tom

we had that exact sled. the downside to them was you are cresting a hill, windrow, culvert, etc. and it goes up....until it comes down and then it crashes down. had the exact same controls as a ford new holland iirc. it was fine and, agreed, very cool at the time. allegedly good for compaction like my dad gave a crap (he was in it for the cool I can assure you)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tom

we had that exact sled. the downside to them was you are cresting a hill, windrow, culvert, etc. and it goes up....until it comes down and then it crashes down. had the exact same controls as a ford new holland iirc. it was fine and, agreed, very cool at the time. allegedly good for compaction like my dad gave a crap (he was in it for the cool I can assure you)

This checks out for me. You both have similar posting styles so I figured you were both close in age.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
also one time I was hauling ass with the cat challenger fully loaded with the most massive grain cart you can imagine across a big field and crested a terrace and came crashing down and my absolutely rough ridin' full grain cart broke loose and buried itself (the tongue of the grain cart) like 10 feet under ground. I was hauling complete ass mind you, like probably 15+. and it was completely full so massive weight. anyway, after me digging all day we got some blocks and a handyman jack under it, then were able to chain it up to a 3 point and lift it out, block under it to repair/weld. long story short I don't farm today and honestly those idiots knew better than to allow me (FORCE ME) to at the time.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
my grandpa had box cars that were used in his grain silos.  I think he ground his own feed and that machinery was in the box cars but IDK

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My dad killed his first coyote since he was a teenager today (ran over it with a discer while plowing)

"5 Coyote pups.  One hid when he should have run.  They are Fox size, fat, well fed."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Coyotes are pretty much BITB animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
:(

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
I've always lived in rural towns but have never farmed and as far as I know I don't have any farming relatives, but I always love the crap out of this thread. 

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
be safe harvest cats

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
He was back in KC a couple of days ago so I asked him if he was back at the cat ranch or if these were old photos. His response

"Catless ranch for now"

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

"Catless ranch for now"

I feel like there's more to this story that's being withheld from us.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

"Catless ranch for now"

Yotes got em all 3 years ago.

Attempted to restarr the population with 4 rando cats my dad picked up from another farm about a year and a half ago but the yotes got them too.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

"Catless ranch for now"

Yotes got em all 3 years ago.

Attempted to restarr the population with 4 rando cats my dad picked up from another farm about a year and a half ago but the yotes got them too.

And now he has a score to settle so he’s murdering all the baby yotes like a mad man!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Are you sure it was coyotes? In my experience hawks and owls eat a lot more cats than coyotes.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Are you sure it was coyotes? In my experience hawks and owls eat a lot more cats than coyotes.

Yeah, it was probably owls (2 live there) but my dad likes them so he blames the yotes