Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 371323 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
circle of life you guys

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Are you sure it was coyotes? In my experience hawks and owls eat a lot more cats than coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it was probably owls (2 live there) but my dad likes them so he blames the yotes

classic farmer move. find a dead calf that's been eaten on it's always the coyotes that killed it and not that it just died and they started eating the corpse. same with prairie dogs. cows could break their legs in the holes! gotta shoot the crap out of them! luckily coyotes are absolutely BITB at being alive everywhere no matter what.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
good looking (dead) coyote pup there.  poor thing.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
i’d be willing to bet that if I rubbed some bee venom on that tiny little baby yote, he’d pop back up onto his paws within seconds

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
My dad has a lil lil memorial/shrine out on the  cat ranch. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Got another inch of rain last night and the pasture is LUSH.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cactus in bloom

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
great stuff, ben ji.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Almost stepped on a baby rattlesnake about a foot long. Was walking the mutts in the pasture and it crossed right in front of me rattling while it moved away.

I pulled back but lady kept walking and was nearly on top of it. I was all like "HERE" and she just looked at me like "dude I'm already here". We did this about 3 times before I grabbed her by the neck and dragged her away. She was super confused

Enjoy this mid picture where you can barely see it.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My dad has a lil lil memorial/shrine out on the  cat ranch. 

Just remembered a great lil lil story. See those middle pictures where it's on my mom's shoulder? That was right after my dad brought it back from the farm.

About a week later my mom got a rash on her neck and didn't know what it was. She showed it to me and I had to inform her that lil lil gave her ringworm. (Super stud highschool wrestler here so I knew exactly what it was)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Today hammered home the POINT of how western KS farmers talk about rain in points not inches and love talking about how much more they got then someone else. (For the city slickers 100 points equals an inch).

At 830am our crop farmer showed up to see how much rain we had gotten while I was walking the mutts. I told him I just emptied the rain gauge and we got an inch last night. He replies with how he got 120 points over at his place.

Around 11 our cow farmers wife shows up in a Polaris to check on the cows in our pasture and brags about the 150 points they got at their place 7 miles away and casually dropped that some other pasture they rent got 240 points.

Also it's raining again, basically ShangriLa on the high plains of NW KS this year.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Some basic wheat shots of my aunts crop next door. The green wheat at the front got some bad wind erosion this winter and has only recently grown in the past month with the rain, has not headed out.

The wheat behind it is starting to turn golden but I doubt they get much out of it.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Are you sure it was coyotes? In my experience hawks and owls eat a lot more cats than coyotes.

Yeah, it was probably owls (2 live there) but my dad likes them so he blames the yotes

classic farmer move. find a dead calf that's been eaten on it's always the coyotes that killed it and not that it just died and they started eating the corpse. same with prairie dogs. cows could break their legs in the holes! gotta shoot the crap out of them! luckily coyotes are absolutely BITB at being alive everywhere no matter what.

Like to add coyote hunters are the rough ridin' worst hunters as any farmer/rancher would tell ya.  Those fuckers liked driving 4X4 jeeps or lifted pickups and tore the crap out of the land, cut fences, and shot the eff out of anything that moved.  Most of those SOB's were trespassers with no respect for property.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Today hammered home the POINT of how western KS farmers talk about rain in points not inches and love talking about how much more they got then someone else. (For the city slickers 100 points equals an inch).

At 830am our crop farmer showed up to see how much rain we had gotten while I was walking the mutts. I told him I just emptied the rain gauge and we got an inch last night. He replies with how he got 120 points over at his place.

Around 11 our cow farmers wife shows up in a Polaris to check on the cows in our pasture and brags about the 150 points they got at their place 7 miles away and casually dropped that some other pasture they rent got 240 points.

Also it's raining again, basically ShangriLa on the high plains of NW KS this year.

Back when I was at home close to Cedar Bluff Reservoir locals always talked about the amount of rain in hundreds of an inch.  Basically, the same as the people now are using points.  It was much easier to brag when one said 25 hundreds vs a quarter of an inch.  As we all know 36 hundreds is more than a third of an inch.  When rain is scarce, they made the most of every drop for bragging rights.  Also, all or most rain gauges are measured in hundreds of an inch increment.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 09:56:40 PM by Katpappy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

I’ve never hear points in my life. Hundreths is always what they’d say where I was from. 30 hundreths, etc.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Benji's dad with the gun show.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Happy Father's Day fellow farmers of all types.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
what's the plan for that green wheat?  graze it, bale it?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile

I’ve never hear points in my life. Hundreths is always what they’d say where I was from. 30 hundreths, etc.

uhh, same. Are you sure they aren't trolling you, Benji?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
what's the plan for that green wheat?  graze it, bale it?
No idea as it's my aunt's land. I'm assuming even the non green wheat has been zero'd out like most the dry land crops in the area so maybe they can bale it for feed or let cows graze it?

Maybe some real farmers can come in here and explain what happens when your crop is X'd and you take the insurance payout. Do you get to do whatever you want with it or do they make you plow it under or something?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Tater corn progress update!  Last farm trip for farm dog.  He has surgery Wednesday get that ligament fixed.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
The cousin with mad farm skills is restoring an IH 1206.  Then we're hitting the parade circuit.

Tom

Down to the rear tires, fenders.  After market seat bracket will need some modifications.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
NSFW

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
I am a John Deere guy but that looks awesome.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I am a John Deere guy but that looks awesome.
Tom