Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356262 times)

schreds21 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3675 on: January 19, 2021, 08:37:19 AM »
More land are my anecdotal data points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3676 on: January 19, 2021, 08:38:13 AM »
Random question, why do some of the cows have 2 ear tags with different numbers? Is one to identify the calf before it gets chipped?

The jugallo wanna be (7 / 55) looks like a thick gal.
Not sure on my cousins tag scheme.  One probably id of the cow for record keeping.  Nor sure what additional number is. 

The tag in the bulls ear is actually my cousins phone number so when the old boy decides to go in search of a good time in other parts of the country people know who to call to come get him.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, sometimes bulls just go wherever. There is not much you can do to stop them (other than make them happy where they are at).

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: January 19, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
Corn/Wheat prices are at 7 year highs, what kind of tricked out tractors/combines/F350's are all the land barons buying this year?
Bro in law test drove this during harvest.  Did not buy at $500k.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: January 19, 2021, 09:22:41 AM »
I've been debating buying a box scraper... $2500.

Tom

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: January 19, 2021, 09:29:03 AM »
What does that do Tom?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3680 on: January 19, 2021, 09:35:18 AM »
Scrapes boxes

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: January 19, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
What does that do Tom?
Primarily to maintain terraces..  Use it to drag dirt washed into terrace bottoms back on top and fill in ravines.   This one has a tilt so you dig using one corner to pull dirt.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: January 19, 2021, 10:46:44 AM »
Also can level out gravel driveways, pull massive amounts of cow poop out of pens, move snow, anything you want to drag around!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3683 on: January 19, 2021, 10:52:02 AM »
Ben Ji should get one for the cat ranch and fix that driveway.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: January 19, 2021, 03:31:28 PM »
Ben Ji should get one for the cat ranch and fix that driveway.

There is a blade out there already that my cousin uses once a year on the dirt road between my dads land and my aunts land but I don't know how to use it or operate the old timey tractor that pulls it. Would need to get gravel/rock dumped on the driveway first.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: January 30, 2021, 11:33:44 AM »
copying this here from the corona thread

Need to put out a call for unused RalGRO implanters to really get the chipping up to speed.

oh man, I had about a trillion of the green drums that I would keep for some reason. in hindsight I wonder how much bovine growth hormone I was exposing myself to. should have got into lifting as a child.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: January 30, 2021, 11:35:27 AM »
the person at the front of the chute is responsible for the ralgro in the ear, ear tag, and lopping off horns with a horror movie'esque horn chain saw thing that is completely covered in blood and the person is covered in blood and the walls are covered with blood from where it squirts and there is blood down the walls where the cows haul ass out of the chute after all that stuff. it is irl a gorefest and I can't believe how normal it was for me as a kid. I bet mrs. dave would faint or throw up if she watched us "doctor" one cow.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: January 30, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »
this is the horn thing. ours was all metal colored but irl was just all blood covered and it's loud AF and you put the horn through that hole and just push it forward and like a circular saw disk just blasts the horn off and blood sprays like 10 feet. brutal.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: January 30, 2021, 11:38:06 AM »
also now I think horns have been bread out of most types of cows. you rarely see them anymore. but you used to all the time. our dog would just wander over and grab the horns off the ground and chew on them and I'd run them over with the lawnmower and blast them 100 yards out the side.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: January 30, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
and one time my cub scout pack was at my house to see how we worked cattle and one kid got his entire coat blasted with blood from the horn and his parents were pissed.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3690 on: January 30, 2021, 11:41:41 AM »
also our dog would eat an unlimited amount of bull testicles. there would be giant 5 gallon buckets full of them as we were processing cattle and he would just wander up and help himself to them. usually we just gave them to whatever cowboys were helping us but sometimes my parents would have a giant party and like 50 people would come out to our house and they would fry them up. like you cut these giant potato sized cow balls into chicken nugget sized pieces and then bread them and fry them in a giant turkey fryer thing and they are gross AF but it's quite the deal for everyone around town.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: January 30, 2021, 11:45:10 AM »
one year we tried out doing a big rubber band thing around the ball sacks and they would naturally die and fall off but that only lasted one year so I assume we had bad results or infections or something. dog would wander into the yard with a big bulls dried up ball sack and balls and they'd just be laying around all over the place. who TF had this stupid idea anyway. lmao.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: January 30, 2021, 11:45:46 AM »
also our dog would eat an unlimited amount of bull testicles. there would be giant 5 gallon buckets full of them as we were processing cattle and he would just wander up and help himself to them. usually we just gave them to whatever cowboys were helping us but sometimes my parents would have a giant party and like 50 people would come out to our house and they would fry them up. like you cut these giant potato sized cow balls into chicken nugget sized pieces and then bread them and fry them in a giant turkey fryer thing and they are gross AF but it's quite the deal for everyone around town.

They are delicious. We had them a couple times from my families little operation. The church also had a nut fry every year or so that I attended a couple times.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: January 30, 2021, 11:46:18 AM »
here's a rubber band put'er on'er. lmao so stupid. I don't remember if ours looked like this or not but it's an example.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: January 30, 2021, 11:48:21 AM »
this is what happens when some city folks think they can out farm us. nice try college boy. idiot.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: January 30, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »
guys, marcus went to Cal Berkley and has devised a better way for us to do this. here, he will show us on the pretend nads. everyone give it a shot.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: January 30, 2021, 11:53:08 AM »
this is the thing my dad used every year except the stupid rubber band year. he could do it in like 10 seconds. you clamp down with this deal and it knifes right in there and then you yank it and it rips the ball sack (scrotum) open and then my dad would reach up there and yank each one down really hard because apparently you can't leave a lot of the nad string (nard string) up there or something bad happens. again, extremely brutal to watch and I can't believe I've seen that done like 10k times.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: January 30, 2021, 02:28:38 PM »
SD's knowledge drop inspired me to go check out the barn for any old timey bull scrotum cutters since I'm out here chasing birds. Apparently the barn is now the "cat barn" even tho all the cats got eaten.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 02:32:19 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: January 30, 2021, 02:30:31 PM »
Here is the chute the cows would climb before they get loaded up to die.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: January 30, 2021, 02:31:48 PM »
I didn't find any scrotum snippers but I did crack open an old fridge full of cow medicine.