Author Topic: Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (assuming no predecessor to it)  (Read 5677 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (assuming no predecessor to it)
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »
I'm going to mention this every year until I read an explanation why it's happening; voting for Clemens but not Bonds requires a real some pretty amazing reasoning. I can only think of one reason someone would do that, I have no choice but to think this until I hear something sensible.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2017, 08:39:13 PM »
Bonds was an bad person to media and media are butthurt about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
I'm going to mention this every year until I read an explanation why it's happening; voting for Clemens but not Bonds requires a real some pretty amazing reasoning. I can only think of one reason someone would do that, I have no choice but to think this until I hear something sensible.
I think they should both be in, but it's clearly a combination of Bonds being a legendary bad person, especially to media, and having broken one of the most hallowed records while using a substance most associated with that statistic.
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »
If voters convinced themselves those are the reasons they would vote for Clemens but not Bonds, they are absolutely lying to sooth a guilty conscience. Clemens was a prick to his teammates, lied under oath to congress on national television, and won seven Cy Young Awards.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
https://www.mlb.com/news/smith-baines-elected-to-baseball-hall-of-fame/c-301623296

So Harold Baines is going to the Hall.  He was good and consistent for a long time but he's nowhere near a Hall of Fame caliber player.  At least Lee Smith was a borderline case.  I'm obviously biased as a Cubs fan but I thought he was worthy of going in.  He definitely could have gone to the Jheri Curl Hall of Fame.