Author Topic: Fostering division; OSU ADV  (Read 14765 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Fostering division; OSU ADV
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »
nino doing well or doing shitty isn't the problem with this team.  he's a 6 ft 4 inch power forward.  oscar seems to think otherwise, which tells me he doesn't know crap about the team he's getting paid to coach

6-4 is Nino's M.O.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »
I hate that oscar has taken saying mean things about Nino and made it not fun anymore.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »
I also don't think defense is no longer the problem, has turned around in the process of the last 2.5 games. Scoring is becoming a huge issue and is compounded with youthful point guard play.

We are a Gip injury away from a nightmare situation.

Oh defense is still a huge problem, but not having great (or even good) offense is a big problem. We had a great offensive game against aTm (and a terrible Savannah State team), but other than that our offense has been below 1.00 points per possession for the last month. TOs still are the biggest issue, but we aren't shooting it well either. If we continue to allow teams to shoot 51% or better then yeah, this is a serious recipe for disaster.
Last 2 games we have given up way to many points off turning the ball over. Half Court defense appears to be there in impemntation imo. It isn't what is was in November. We appear to be month or more behind where we should be. It is weird. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »

I also don't think defense is no longer the problem, has turned around in the process of the last 2.5 games. Scoring is becoming a huge issue and is compounded with youthful point guard play.

We are a Gip injury away from a nightmare situation.

Oh defense is still a huge problem, but not having great (or even good) offense is a big problem. We had a great offensive game against aTm (and a terrible Savannah State team), but other than that our offense has been below 1.00 points per possession for the last month. TOs still are the biggest issue, but we aren't shooting it well either. If we continue to allow teams to shoot 51% or better then yeah, this is a serious recipe for disaster.
Last 2 games we have given up way to many points off turning the ball over. Half Court defense appears to be there in impemntation imo. It isn't what is was in November. We appear to be month or more behind where we should be. It is weird.

With the current turmoil within the team and oscar still figuring out who is going to play, it's not that weird.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »
I hate that oscar has taken saying mean things about Nino and made it not fun anymore.

Try saying mean things about nino in your best oscar voice.  You might be surprised.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2015, 03:19:32 PM »
I'm sure John Currie will do better next time!

I think Currie's choice will be made for him.

Underwood is going to have massive donor support, and he's not going to command a big salary.  Which we will require because we're going to be carrying around oscar's contract around like an albatross for the next few years.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »
I think getting Underwood after he been on his own for a little and in Texas is a plus. Better than him taking over right way. Also having less expectations because of oscar will give him more leeway to grow into P5 job.

Still think oscar might now be in that bad of a situation and string us along for a while with some good seasons and every once in a while have head banding situation. I think that is who he is. Just watch him get everything realigned and make a run to New York.

Offline uncle clean jeans

• hygienic role model
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

Underwood is going to have massive donor support, and he's not going to command a big salary.  Which we will require because we're going to be carrying around oscar's contract around like an albatross for the next few years.
getting rid of oscar is roughly equivalent to only one year's salary. Also, if Brad isn't DTF Henson could be had cheap and might be good for now. I mean, there's no way he could be worse than oscar

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »
it's a tough situ that currie has put himself in.
he can't be seen as pulling the trigger on oscar too soon, especially after running frank out of town.  sadly, oscar is ours for a while.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline uncle clean jeans

• hygienic role model
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »
“Nino’s got to play well,” Weber said. “He had his best run as a player, now he just lays an egg the last three games. This has been the M.O. for his career. He’ll have a few good games here and there. Never consistent.”
never consistent is the MO for your career oscar. get effed.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »

You keep saying that, but I don't think it is true.  I'm pretty sure Dax posted the contract and it said at most $2.5 million is owed and we can subtract any coaching earnings he makes from someone else.  Currie negotiated a really good buyout as I understand it.  Which I may not understand it at all.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2015, 04:17:23 PM »
he can't be seen as pulling the trigger on oscar too soon, especially after running frank out of town.  sadly, oscar is ours for a while.
Yeah, and seasons like this are what you get with oscar. Tough to justify firing him for a season that was pretty likely to happen at some point.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »

Yeah, and seasons like this are what you get with oscar. Tough to justify firing him for a season that was pretty likely to happen at some point.

Yeah, this is pretty much a oscar gonna oscar deal. And it's not unreasonable to think that he'll be 21-9, 12-6 next year.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »

Yeah, this is pretty much a oscar gonna oscar deal. And it's not unreasonable to think that he'll be 21-9, 12-6 next year.
Yep

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
No way with next year's bigs, hell if Marcus leaves he will lose the top 3 scorers

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »
No way with next year's bigs, hell if Marcus leaves he will lose the top 3 scorers
Marcus yes, we would suck. Bigs are not super important to oscar offensively. DJamer and Malek will be great trash men and Wade should surprise people. His ability to shoot will help us. He has defended elite big prospects at a high level.

Keeping Nigel, Marcus and Wes are very important for next year not to be an internal explosion. Barry should gives us more punch that we need. But oscar has a history of not getting freshman ready to play year one. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »

His career shows he's very likely to have a good season and make the tournament next year. It's what he does. But he also has years like this one.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »

Do we get another tipping fulcrum post if this happens?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »

Do we get another tipping fulcrum post if this happens?

Well, that depends on things.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2015, 05:35:44 PM »
This whole discussion and my previous really long post are the problems with oscar.

I don't believe that oscar is a terrible coach, but he's a terribly inconsistent coach. Seasons like this one (which are terrible) are probably going to happen, but he generally follows up poor seasons with good ones. He is a weird personality with a squeaky voice who rarely seems to take responsibility when things aren't going well, and even then he often throws in qualifiers like "I guess" or "maybe". I really don't mind calling out players some, but his passive aggressive technique doesn't help him.

Overall when comparing with Frank, I think Frank is building (and had built here) a better, more consistent program. Plus, Frank is just more fun to have as your coach because of his personality and that fact that his personality attracts (mostly positive) attention. I have no problem with wanting oscar gone and going after another coach, but I think everyone (myself included) will really be wanting another Frank whether they say so or not. The odds of that happening are really not very good. That in and of itself is not a good reason to not get rid of oscar and his strange inconsistent style, but its the reality of the situation we're in and that is not fun as a fan.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2015, 05:44:34 PM »
Bruces brand is boring it is very simple. I was looking at his roster for threw the years, he seems not to be a good roster builder or his Illinois staff sucked at it. Frank excels at that. If he can keep this team together for the next two years I would be impressed. I also think the results would be impressive. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2015, 06:05:55 PM »
Given that Frank will start having consistently good seasons at SC, and that oscar will have good seasons with a few bad ones mixed in, are we certain that Frank won't leave SC for another rebuilding project? All of the other conjecture is, rightly or wrongly, based pretty much entirely on some history. And Frank does have some history of doing this.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »
Frank is going to be a nomad. He is really good at fracturing relationships. He just will have to move one at times for his own stake. I would like to see him at an upper tier job, I think he would be good at it. He is proficient at getting players ready to play right away. Decently poor at development.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »

Given that Frank will start having consistently good seasons at SC, and that oscar will have good seasons with a few bad ones mixed in, are we certain that Frank won't leave SC for another rebuilding project? All of the other conjecture is, rightly or wrongly, based pretty much entirely on some history. And Frank does have some history of doing this.

:D

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2015, 06:44:43 PM »
The "my biggest weakness is I care too much" line is amazing

My favorite is where he recounts the convo he allegedly had with his players.  Seems legit.

I don't even know what to say. It's really hard for me to believe that he actually said that, but there it is, plain as day, right on the internet, for the whole world to see. oscar must have been a hoot as a kid, "Well mom, I sat down and talked with my teacher, and she said that she needs to do better. She told me that I was too hard on myself, and that I'm always taking the blame for my bad grades, but she said that she knows that she's the one really at fault. These bad grades have to stop, and I realize that, but the teacher's right, she needs to be shouldering the responsibility here."
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang