Author Topic: Better Late Than Never "Serial" Thread (Spoilers?)  (Read 23120 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Better Late Than Never "Serial" Thread (Spoilers?)
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »
Yeah, I get that, but it's weird to be aware of and admit that it was a big factor in the decision.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Not that weird of a thing for an idiot to say.  You can tell them all day long what the law is and then they just do what they want anyway. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
Sounds like some feelings have been hurt by questioning the accuracy of conclusions drawn from limited information. 

we have more information than the jury did son

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
I'm sitting third chair on this one, clams.  The jurors heard the case, you all hear the podcast and I'm going to read this here thread.  Judgments will be flying and if we're lucky maybe a few hard truths will be revealed to those who know what to look for.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
i just had to be the presiding juror on a three week long criminal trial this summer.  you can pretty much assume, like everything else in real life, that the jurors are all pretty section L

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2014, 03:10:27 PM »
Yeah, I get that, but it's weird to be aware of and admit that it was a big factor in the decision.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Not that weird of a thing for an idiot to say.  You can tell them all day long what the law is and then they just do what they want anyway.

yeah, a juror in my brother's civil malpractice case said they found for the doctor because "there wasn't proof beyond a reasonable doubt".     cue L&O theme.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
i just had to be the presiding juror on a three week long criminal trial this summer.  you can pretty much assume, like everything else in real life, that the jurors are all pretty section L

Being on a jury does something to your average everday idiot that makes them worse by at least a factor of ten than they would ordinarily be.  They feel empowered and important and therefore automatically smarter and better, which causes them to be less observant and more obstinate and obtuse.  It's a really terrifying phenomenon. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »

I'm sitting third chair on this one, clams.  The jurors heard the case, you all hear the podcast and I'm going to read this here thread.  Judgments will be flying and if we're lucky maybe a few hard truths will be revealed to those who know what to look for.

all indications are that bread was part of adnan's defense team

duly noted

your honor, I object

OVERRULED

#facial

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2014, 04:25:11 PM »

Being on a jury does something to your average everday idiot that makes them worse by at least a factor of ten than they would ordinarily be.  They feel empowered and important and therefore automatically smarter and better, which causes them to be less observant and more obstinate and obtuse.  It's a really terrifying phenomenon.

The fact that this jury deliberated for three hours on a first degree murder charge tells me everything I needed to know about the intelligence of this jury.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
i was on a jury for a murder trial. we found the person guilty over lunch. less than 2 hours. the defendant did not testify. he also had motive and a terrible allibi and there was physical evidence against him, and he had a tired looking public defendant who did not do a good job, but still.

-the idea (of lawyers) that your defendant is going to get ripped apart by the prosecutor, so he/she better not testify, is mind-blowingly off base. it goes from high risk/high reward (testify) to high risk/no reward (not testify). i do not give a eff what you lawyer-y types say to the contrary. the fact that your average juror is a moron only reinforces the fact that you should understand that said moron juror is going to not like it when the defendant does not defend him/herself.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2014, 02:20:44 PM »
it sounds like Adnan's lawyer was terrible. her incessant "was it not?" line of questioning made me cringe. also she did not utilize the cell phone thing very well, or the fact that there was a god damned eye witness who saw adnan in the library.
there is definitely something missing in jay's narrative. hard to find adnan guilty based on the evidence, and "who the eff else could have done it?" is not reason enough to put adnan away for life. that being said he probably did it.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »
SKINNYBENNY CHECKING IN, FELLOW GUMSHOES!!!!!! 

Binge listened to all 9 episodes over Thanksgiving. Not really sure what exactly happened, but Jay is definitely involved. Did he act alone? Did he act with Adnan? Did he act with someone else? These are the burning questions of our time. BUT. Definitely sure Jay is involved, because he seems like an absolute garbage human being who changes his story constantly. I mean.....not remembering the location of where Adnan supposedly first opened his trunk? GMAFB. And I don't buy that Hae died in the Best Buy parking lot for a second.

And yes, Christina Gutierrez was a POS lawyer and her "WAS IT NOT???" line of questioning drove me absolutely insane. It sounds like the detectives are bumbling morons, as well. Adnan should probably not be in jail, even if he did have a role; in no way was there enough evidence presented to convict him and sentence him to life.  "Mountains of reasonable doubt," says some 2L intern. I concur.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
consider that the 2L intern works for "the innocence project"

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »
consider that the 2L intern works for "the innocence project"

Right.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »
Is this show ever coming back? my god...
:adios:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »
woohoo!  53 minutes!

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2014, 10:05:14 AM »
If you didn't like hearing his lawyer before, settle in for a long Episode 10.

If I'm a juror, and I have to listen to her voice, cadence, and line of questioning, I'm looking for the nearest pen to jam into my ears.

Woof.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »
yeah, listening to trial lawyers can be reall annoying.  That cadence they have where they sputter about asking questions while pausing or slowing to form new questions in their head can get old.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2014, 10:35:44 AM »
huh, so the Serial host wrote about his attorney back in 2001

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2001-07-19/news/0107190108_1_gutierrez-trust-fund-clients

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »
"[Adnan Syed] participated in a National competition in which he built a solar vehicle that won 6th place in Topeka, KS last spring." (1996?)

WOAH!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2014, 10:31:21 PM »

incredible referential post there by tobias. folks, that's how you win yourself a csourk'y.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »
Next week is the final episode.

:horrorsurprise:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
Next week is the final episode.

:horrorsurprise:

this week was pretty boring

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »
sarah was on colbert yesterday