Author Topic: 2014-15 college basketball  (Read 136255 times)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
Re: 2014-15 college basketball
« Reply #600 on: March 03, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
College basketball would not be anything close to "unwatchable" with a 24 second clock.

i definitely agree that a 24-second clock would make the game more exciting in cases where two semi equal teams take the floor. aside from that, i think we're using different definitions of 'unwatchable.' as a viewer, i don't care about pace. i am more likely to watch games that are close, and fewer possessions via a longer shot clock can often help lesser teams hang around longer. if you've got two same/similar teams, then the pace is unlikely to matter. the game will hopefully be exciting regardless.

i know lots of people prefer tempo in college football as well. i personally hate it. margin of victory is higher than it's ever been, particularly in non-con games involving super-fast teams, and i just don't find 75-10, 64-7, 80-14 to be very fun.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 03, 2015, 05:23:10 PM »
What prompted coaches like Jerry Tarkanian, Nolan Richardson, Billy Tubbs, etc. to go to a more uptempo style than teams play today? How can we get it back?

tarkanian was told by boosters upon his hiring at UNLV that they wanted a fast, up-tempo, exciting team. he was more than happy to oblige. paul westhead, the fastest coach ever, played at his furious tempo in part to increase his chances of landing on TV (i think i read that once, but maybe i'm misremembering).

nowadays, almost every game involving big conference teams are on TV. if you want to differentiate yourself and get noticed, paint your court to look like a rainforest or have your overaggressive fanbase rush the court after big victories.

Very interesting, but that can't be the main reason. These coaches wanted to play fast, because of a tactical advantage? What has changed that causes fewer coaches to want to employ an uptempo style? That's what we have to figure out.

Everyone keeps talking about the shot clock, but the game was faster when it was still 45. I can't back this up, but I feel there were a lot of uptempo teams even before there was any shot clock, though I'm sure average pace was weighed down by some teams really taking the air out of the ball.

Playing fast back then wasn't a tactical advantage, plenty of teams did it. It isn't a tactical advantage now because no team has seemed to be able to accumulate enough talent to play fast but guard well. Kentucky exempted of course.

It can be a tactical advantage. I don't think you need unique skill sets or elite talent to take advantage of playing at a faster pace, and I don't think your defense needs to suffer, either.

I don't think you need a unique set of skills to play fast either although having multiple players on the floor that are comfortable with the ball in their hand certainly helps to be effective. In college basketball playing fast absolutely hurts you defensively because teams with scholarship limits can't find the proper depth to play fast and have enough players that can guard. There are very few teams in the history of college basketball that play fast but really have the ability to guard. History is littered with teams that play fast and turnover the opponent a lot but still give up a ton of points, but the college game just isn't set up for teams to be deep enough to play good tough defense while playing at an accelerated pace.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 03, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »
I don't think you need a unique set of skills to play fast either although having multiple players on the floor that are comfortable with the ball in their hand certainly helps to be effective. In college basketball playing fast absolutely hurts you defensively because teams with scholarship limits can't find the proper depth to play fast and have enough players that can guard. There are very few teams in the history of college basketball that play fast but really have the ability to guard. History is littered with teams that play fast and turnover the opponent a lot but still give up a ton of points, but the college game just isn't set up for teams to be deep enough to play good tough defense while playing at an accelerated pace.

Plenty of teams with above average tempos have above average defensive efficiency. A great example is OU - in Big 12 games they have the league's best defensive efficiency but play at the second fastest pace on offense.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 03, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
I like what j rake has been saying regarding tempo vs efficiency. Also agree with MIR said about teams who push tempo having trouble guarding, and the evidence shows that is the case. When more teams played at a higher tempo, there were more offenses with a higher efficiency.

What would be great is is we (actually, they) could find a sweet spot where teams of all varieties style and tempo would have an opportunity to flourish. Perhaps those opportunities are there now, but it's just en vogue for coaches to slow things down and micromanage the games more than previously.

Ideally, I guess I'd like more continuity, good efficiency, and while I'm a fan of a higher pace, having a variety of styles able to find success would be ideal.

As _Fan's graph showed points per possession hasn't fluctuated much in the last 12 years, but style of play definitely has gone through major changes.

That's why I'm not sold on lowering the shot-clock. It would likely render certain play-styles obsolete.

I find a more uptempo, transition-based game more fun to watch. Especially when guys are trying to force turnovers and crashing Orebs, but that's obviously because my favorite teams employed that style. FWIW, 2009-10 K-State was No. 47 in the country at 70.3 possessions per game. They'd be No. 10 this season behind only Arkansas (70.7), LSU (70.6), and Iowa State (70.6) among power 5 schools.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 03, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »

Plenty of teams with above average tempos have above average defensive efficiency. A great example is OU - in Big 12 games they have the league's best defensive efficiency but play at the second fastest pace on offense.

They also have terrible depth.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 03, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »

It makes sense that a team would often have to sacrifice guarding for disruption and causing turnovers and vice versa. But the variety, based on preference and personnel, is what is/ can be great about college basketball. Obviously, some truly great teams (as MIR mentioned Kentucky) would be able to do both, but having different avenues to a similar end result is cool.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #606 on: March 03, 2015, 07:22:57 PM »
an easy way to speed up the game without touching the shot clock is reducing the time teams have to get the ball across midcourt from 10 seconds to 8 seconds. you would definitely see teams press more, and in turn, offenses would have to be more decisive and aggressive attacking it.

you rarely see teams get called for 10-second violations against pressing, trapping teams; and when they are in danger, they simply call timeout. the 10-second rule has become almost irrelevant, yet allows teams to walk...the...ball..up...the...court...ever...so...slowly.

i'd also like to see the ncaa adopt the six-foul rule the NBA uses. too many of the best players are being forced to the bench because they pick up two quick fouls. the game isn't fun to watch when the best players are on the bench, and it goes without saying that scoring will go down when backups are chewing up minutes.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 03, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »
I like the 8 second rule and wish it was in effect now. 

On the 6 fouls, the Big East did that in the late 90s.  I am pretty there was an increase in total fouls and length of games, much gnashing of teeth about its effect on Big Monday in a pre WatchESPN world
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:41:10 PM by Skipper44 »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 03, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »
Seems like slower pace makes threes more valuable

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #609 on: March 03, 2015, 07:44:03 PM »
On the 6 fouls, the Big East did that in the early 90s.  I am pretty there was an increase in total fouls and length of games, much gnashing of teeth about its effect on Big Monday in a pre WatchESPN world

yeah, that's a valid concern. but does it feel like it's a problem in the NBA?

as far as game length is concerned, i could think of at least a half dozen ways to shorten games without disrupting them in any noticeable way.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 03, 2015, 07:44:14 PM »
I'll be damned if my old balls memory was right the first time, they had 6 fouls 90-92

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 03, 2015, 09:27:23 PM »
the eight second thing is the best bball idea i've ever heard.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 03, 2015, 09:41:01 PM »
an easy way to speed up the game without touching the shot clock is reducing the time teams have to get the ball across midcourt from 10 seconds to 8 seconds. you would definitely see teams press more, and in turn, offenses would have to be more decisive and aggressive attacking it.

you rarely see teams get called for 10-second violations against pressing, trapping teams; and when they are in danger, they simply call timeout. the 10-second rule has become almost irrelevant, yet allows teams to walk...the...ball..up...the...court...ever...so...slowly.

i'd also like to see the ncaa adopt the six-foul rule the NBA uses. too many of the best players are being forced to the bench because they pick up two quick fouls. the game isn't fun to watch when the best players are on the bench, and it goes without saying that scoring will go down when backups are chewing up minutes.

i'd rather they just call fouls less
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 03, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »
UK vs Georgia :sdeek:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 03, 2015, 09:51:56 PM »
UK vs Georgia :sdeek:

would be ku's most celebrated win of the year
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 03, 2015, 10:06:11 PM »
On the 6 fouls, the Big East did that in the early 90s.  I am pretty there was an increase in total fouls and length of games, much gnashing of teeth about its effect on Big Monday in a pre WatchESPN world

yeah, that's a valid concern. but does it feel like it's a problem in the NBA?

It's 1 foul per 8 minutes in a game. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 03, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »

An eight or nine-second half-court clock would open up a lot of interesting possibilities.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #617 on: March 03, 2015, 10:44:13 PM »
well, it took us a few days, but looks like we've fixed college basketball.

someone please fwd this to the ncaa.  :thumbsup:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 03, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
Great thread guys

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 03, 2015, 10:52:17 PM »
 :clap:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 04, 2015, 11:10:29 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 04, 2015, 11:51:38 PM »
I wish Bill Walton called every game. He's the very best.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 04, 2015, 11:59:26 PM »

Bilas could learn a lot from Bill. But he never will.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 05, 2015, 12:27:26 AM »

Walton on NBA on NBC. Yes, please! Doug Collins was great too.