Author Topic: A sustainable path . . .  (Read 12758 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: A sustainable path . . .
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2014, 05:38:10 PM »
teachers get paid plenty.  their job isn't difficult, they don't work many hours, and they get summers off.

:ROFL:

which part of that statement do you disagree with?  b/c all of it is true so i'm just curious.

All of it.  Summers off...true.  How many hours do most professionals work in a day?  What basis do you have for the claim that our jobs aren't difficult?

I would think disrespectful kids are what make it difficult.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2014, 05:41:39 PM »
Grade school is probably pud as hell, but high school would suck and Jr high probably the absolute worst. You're working with developmentally insane people all day
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »
Grade school is probably pud as hell, but high school would suck and Jr high probably the absolute worst. You're working with developmentally insane people all day

Ah, yes.  Grade school is a piece of cake!  Crazy amounts of differentiation in each classroom, developmental delays, keeping children focused for more than 10 minutes at a time, planning and teaching multiple subjects, inability to think abstractly, varying levels of independence, helicopter parents, uninvolved parents, etc.   Easy peasy.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2014, 05:53:14 PM »
I have a friend that was a high school teacher ($90k a year by the way) that quit to go to work teaching at one of the local prisons as a teacher. She could not be happier with her decision even with the longer drive and less money. She said she feels safer and the inmates have to respect her or they are taken out of class by the guard outside the door.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2014, 06:13:54 PM »
teachers get paid plenty.  their job isn't difficult, they don't work many hours, and they get summers off.

:ROFL:

which part of that statement do you disagree with?  b/c all of it is true so i'm just curious.

All of it.  Summers off...true.  How many hours do most professionals work in a day?  What basis do you have for the claim that our jobs aren't difficult?

Even the summers off isn't true since many teachers have continuing ed and pro development.  Also look at work per yearly average instead of dividing it up based on the school year.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »
I have a friend that was a high school teacher ($90k a year by the way) that quit to go to work teaching at one of the local prisons as a teacher. She could not be happier with her decision even with the longer drive and less money. She said she feels safer and the inmates have to respect her or they are taken out of class by the guard outside the door.

Teachers in my wife's dist max out around $55k-$60k with a doctorate and a couple decades of senority.  Where is this $90k teaching position?  Asking for a Canadian friends wife.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »

Teachers in my wife's dist max out around $55k-$60k with a doctorate and a couple decades of senority.  Where is this $90k teaching position?  Asking for a Canadian friends wife.

where else but California!

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2014, 06:25:37 PM »

Ah, yes.  Grade school is a piece of cake!  Crazy amounts of differentiation in each classroom, developmental delays, keeping children focused for more than 10 minutes at a time, planning and teaching multiple subjects, inability to think abstractly, varying levels of independence, helicopter parents, uninvolved parents, etc.   Easy peasy.

About what I thought, fairly pud

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »

Yeah, god forbid a job have a few challenges

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
I had teachers that used the same lesson plans and tests for years.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »

How many grades did you have to repeat?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »

How many grades did you have to repeat?

:eek:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »
Ed swooping in let john doug avoid telling me I was right. :frown:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »

public employees in california mostly get paid ridiculously well.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »

Yeah, god forbid a job have a few challenges

I wasn't complaining about how tough it is.  I was challenging the "pud" comment.  I'm sure that you could walk right in and do the job with one hand tied behind your back, right? 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »

private employees, too

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »

private employees, too

many do.  but there are also many that are paid very little.  maybe something you don't see as much of where you live.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »

private employees, too

many do.  but there are also many that are paid very little.  maybe something you don't see as much of where you live.

true, I wonder how the indices compare to peers elsewhere in the country.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2014, 08:28:15 PM »
So, $90k...I mean there are prob engineers and the like that don't get that unil a few yrs into their field, right?  Where, in ks, I started right out of college making what my wife makes now, her 13th year teaching.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2014, 08:31:01 PM »
So, $90k...I mean there are prob engineers and the like that don't get that unil a few yrs into their field, right?  Where, in ks, I started right out of college making what my wife makes now, her 13th year teaching.

It would take a long time to get to 90k at most districts, even in California. The link about Oakland schools has info

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »
my aunt is a teacher in california and makes like 32k

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »

she was going to move to kansas to get a pay raise and COL decrease  :surprised:

(ended up not tho)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2014, 08:38:19 PM »

Good god.  Private school?   That's a rough ridin' crime

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »

Good god.  Private school?   That's a rough ridin' crime

public.  special ed teacher.  it's also like the coffeyville of california i'm pretty sure, the whole town is so depressing

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2014, 08:40:28 PM »
Yeah, teachers in Oakland max out at $70k