Author Topic: A sustainable path . . .  (Read 12415 times)

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: A sustainable path . . .
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »
Teachers in joco making what teachers in sf do doesn't seem right

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
teachers get paid plenty.  their job isn't difficult, they don't work many hours, and they get summers off.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
Looks like some of you need to go start a thread to discuss your fear of pursuing your true calling.

Do you not like the direction your thread took? I asked for your solutions to reducing entitlements, and this is what you give us? C'mon, dax!

I live in a state that has pretty strident follow-up on those getting unemployment benefits, what about Cali cRusty?

that's your solution? How do the rates of people collecting unemployment benefits in California compare to North Carolina?

I don't know cRusty, I believe in NC you only get 18 weeks.   What about Cali?

Also, should people who just show up at the border immediately be placed on the government dole?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2014, 09:28:47 PM »
dax, it's impossible to have a serious discussion with you. At least I gave it a shot.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:52 PM »
dax, it's impossible to have a serious discussion with you. At least I gave it a shot.

It's pretty much impossible to have an intelligent conversation with you cRusty.  The very first thing you attempted to do in this thread was change the subject entirely.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »

says the guy who thinks raising teacher's salaries will somehow fix our education system.  paying teachers more won't make kids care about education.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »

says the guy who thinks raising teacher's salaries will somehow fix our education system.  paying teachers more won't make kids care about education.

It would make the teachers care more and attract better teachers.

But I don't think it would "fix" the education system. But it would be a positive step.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »

It would make the teachers care more and attract better teachers.

most poor kids DGAF about school, that is the problem.  it's not the teachers.  you went to some podunk school in western kansas so you don't understand.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »
Protip, its not the kids, its the parents.  Giving AF is something that is learned.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »
Oh and I have numerous education clients.  All very good, very nice, hard working people.   I have the chance to talk to many of them one-on-one and of course you hear about money this and money that all the time.   Yet, I'll often hear stories about how basically non-essential positions that are paid six figure salaries are created all the time for people who don't deliver anything to the bottom line of educating kids, but they do plenty of things like travel around on the district dime to conferences, and conventions getting "ideas".   

Also, don't even get me started on school boards, and parents, both the helicopter and the absent.

I also see plenty of pet projects in our education system, resume builders.   Lots of money spent on a niche and ever so worthless classroom technology that never gets used (one example), while core infrastructure that can drive real educational content into the classroom and hands of the students is neglected.

I've seen interviews with so called educators when they're asked about how much money per student would make their school systems better (they already spend a lot) and their response was in essence saying they pretty much wanted a blank check.   :To mean that screams no accountability. 

I am also in plenty of schools in the region and I see first hand how their run.   I can tell you story after story about schools where there's discipline and accountability, but somebody gets a burr up their a$$ about the principal at the school and the school board runs them out, only to replace them with a dumba$$ that either the board, senior administration or parents can control,  and the place goes to hell. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »
Protip, its not the kids, its the parents.  Giving AF is something that is learned.

It's not just the parents, it's everything that goes along with poverty. Parents have to work multiple jobs, nutrition is worse, there's less access to technology, crime is higher in the neighborhood, etc.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »
Oh and I have numerous education clients.  All very good, very nice, hard working people.   I have the chance to talk to many of them one-on-one and of course you hear about money this and money that all the time.   Yet, I'll often hear stories about how basically non-essential positions that are paid six figure salaries are created all the time for people who don't deliver anything to the bottom line of educating kids, but they do plenty of things like travel around on the district dime to conferences, and conventions getting "ideas".   

Also, don't even get me started on school boards, and parents, both the helicopter and the absent.

I also see plenty of pet projects in our education system, resume builders.   Lots of money spent on a niche and ever so worthless classroom technology that never gets used (one example), while core infrastructure that can drive real educational content into the classroom and hands of the students is neglected.

I've seen interviews with so called educators when they're asked about how much money per student would make their school systems better (they already spend a lot) and their response was in essence saying they pretty wanted a blank check. 

I am also in plenty of schools in the region and I see first hand how their run.   I can tell you story after story about schools where there's discipline and accountability, but somebody gets a burr up their a$$ about the principal at the school and the school board runs them out, only to replace them with a dumba$$ that either the board, senior administration or parents can control,  and the place goes to hell.

Yes, all that should be changed.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »

I've seen interviews with so called educators when they're asked about how much money per student would make their school systems better (they already spend a lot) and their response was in essence saying they pretty much wanted a blank check.   :To mean that screams no accountability. 

Yes to all this.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »

It's not just the parents, it's everything that goes along with poverty. Parents have to work multiple jobs, nutrition is worse, there's less access to technology, crime is higher in the neighborhood, etc.

I get that, and multiple jobs takes time from parenting, but crime and tech don't have anything to do with parents teaching kids to care, try hard, etc. 

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »
Everything libs try to fix, they make worse.  It would be comical if it were not so sad.  Can anybody think of a societal problem of the last 40 years that
these retards have fixed without causing more probs in return. 
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2014, 09:56:53 PM »

I get that, and multiple jobs takes time from parenting, but crime and tech don't have anything to do with parents teaching kids to care, try hard, etc.

They definitely affect a child's chance of success in school. Simply saying the "parents don't teach the kids hard work" isn't a feasible solution, but things like free summer camps with wealthier children, access to better nutrition, free organized sports at a young age, free internet access for families with kids in school etc., could have a positive impact. (In addition to having less wealthy districts hiring and retaining better teachers.)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »

Everything libs try to fix, they make worse.  It would be comical if it were not so sad.  Can anybody think of a societal problem of the last 40 years that
these retards have fixed without causing more probs in return.

These assholes turned my typewriter into an iPad :shakesfist:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
I am all for reform in lower economic areas, but it has to start with the parents.  No matter what is given to the kids, if the process isn't supported and encouraged at home, it will not work on a large scale

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2014, 10:04:26 PM »
If the primary problem with poor districts is the parents, would you consider sending your kids to the lowest rated KCMO public school? I mean, you would be a good hard working parent, do you think your kids would be just fine in that scenario?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
If the primary problem with poor districts is the parents, would you consider sending your kids to the lowest rated KCMO public school? I mean, you would be a good hard working parent, do you think your kids would be just fine in that scenario?

Is the only problem at that low rated school academics?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
And if you want to start with the parents, they should be given MORE public assistance so they can maybe work just one job or pay for their own education or move to a nicer neighborhood.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »

Is the only problem at that low rated school academics?

Maybe not, maybe it's just a tough environment for anyone to succeed in.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2014, 10:09:57 PM »
No.  The reason being that the student culture effects classroom and peer performance heavily through what is accepted as common or popular outlook on the process. If most of the kids in any given class have parents that don't provide the right environment, structure, emphasis, and follow up with their kids, then the culture of that classroom and/or peer group would not be a good environment for learning and have a neg effect on any given kids ability to maximize their learnng. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »

And if you want to start with the parents, they should be given MORE public assistance so they can maybe work just one job or pay for their own education or move to a nicer neighborhood.

I feel like this would be a better investment than pretty much any other social assistance. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »

I feel like this would be a better investment than pretty much any other social assistance.

Kind of ties into my original suggestion about replacing benefit programs with straight cash.