Author Topic: A sustainable path . . .  (Read 12416 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
A sustainable path . . .
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
just a shade under 110 million people in the US on at least one type of means tested social welfare program. 

Right around 50% of the population on some sort of government aid. 

Another large group of people flowing into the US are or will be placed on some type of government social welfare program.

Overload and implode.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: A sustainable path . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »

That figure seems ridiculously low. Source?

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »
The next generations are so completely utterly mumped it's beyond our current comprehension. 
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »

That figure seems ridiculously low. Source?

2012 Census

That number has likely surpassed 50%.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
I wonder how they define "government aid".

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »

Welfare, Veterans Benefits, Medicaid/Medicare, Social Security, WIC, SSI, TAFNF etc. etc.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:40 AM »

Welfare, Veterans Benefits, Medicaid/Medicare, Social Security, WIC, SSI, TAFNF etc. etc.

Oh, so it's only counting government aid to poor folks. I guess that makes sense.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »
Well cRusty you'll have to rail against government largess to corporations and such in another thread.

You might start with the corporations that his administration excused from Obama Care and work your way from there.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:52 AM »
That seems like a lot of work, I was hoping you'd do it for me with a link.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »
That seems like a lot of work, I was hoping you'd do it for me with a link.

I admire you for doing what most progressive liberal types on this board do quite well, that is:  Deflect, re-direct and obfuscate.

Now, back to the topic at hand.   More people taking (by millions) than people producing what's going to be taken, with millions more likely to be added to the takers by the stroke of the executive pen.

A sustainable path cRusty?  Only resolved by more taxes?   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
I think a good step toward sustainability would be to eliminate  many of the different aid programs and just give cash to those that need it. You could eliminate crazy amounts of bureaucracy that way.

Also fix the public education system in poor communities. Not real sure the best way to do this.

What are your ideas?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »
good thing obama as actively working to decrease the size of our military. that will help to not add to the already over 10 million retired vets receiving benefits.  :cheers:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »
So 38 million people of that (1/3) is social security retirement. Is paying them a problem? They paid into it...
:adios:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »
I think a good step toward sustainability would be to eliminate  many of the different aid programs and just give cash to those that need it. You could eliminate crazy amounts of bureaucracy that way.

Also fix the public education system in poor communities. Not real sure the best way to do this.

What are your ideas?

It might help answer the "how to fix public education system in poor communities" question if you state the problem. Why can't these poor kids be taught and retain information?

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »
Ever declining labor participation rate too tho

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »

What are your ideas?

It might help answer the "how to fix public education system in poor communities" question if you state the problem. Why can't these poor kids be taught and retain information?

"State the problem"? I think there are tons of problems and it's an extremely complex, but overall our school system completely fails at preparing our poorest people for success in life. Do you disagree?

However, if you want to go into detail, here's a specific example of a "problem":

And in recent years, black boys have been about as likely to be shot to death as they are to graduate from high school college-ready.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/how-oaklands-public-schools-are-fighting-save-black-boys

I don't know the solution, and have claim to know the solution. I do know that the teachers in poor districts are severely underpaid, and most of the best ones want to move to more affluent districts for better pay and perhaps an easier job. Maybe a start would be paying teachers in the Oakland school district, for example, double what they make now? (At least).

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »
Someone needs to tell wallstreet about this before my account overflows.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »

What are your ideas?

From talking with teachers that have taught in KCMO and KCK districts the biggest problem for a lot of kids is lack of support at home.  I think one way to address that is smaller class sizes, meaning more teachers.   Get the class size down to 10 or 12 kids giving teachers more time and opportunity with each student. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »

What are your ideas?

From talking with teachers that have taught in KCMO and KCK districts the biggest problem for a lot of kids is lack of support at home.  I think one way to address that is smaller class sizes, meaning more teachers.   Get the class size down to 10 or 12 kids giving teachers more time and opportunity with each student.

2. Smaller class sizes do not necessarily create an environment that’s more conducive to learning.
According to David and Goliath, 77% of Americans believe that it makes more sense to use taxpayer money to lower class sizes than to raise teachers’ salaries. Class size is such a galvanizing social issue that after the governor of California announced plans to reduce the state’s class size, his popularity doubled within three weeks. While larger class sizes are obviously an issue, Gladwell points out that we have become “obsessed with what is good about small classrooms and oblivious of what can also be good about large classes.” A classroom containing 18–24 students appears to be the ideal number. Anything less and you lose the unique excitement that comes from a critical mass of engaged students.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/5-more-incredibly-counterintuitive-statements-from-malcolm-gladwells-david-and-goliath/

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
That book is a good read

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:53 PM »
Unique excitement isn't really the phrase that comes to mind when I consider the majority of my fellow scholars in high school.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 12:16:15 PM »
That book is a good read

His worst effort, in my opinion.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
That book is a good read

His worst effort, in my opinion.
Yes but still

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 12:19:21 PM »
I don't really trust anything Gladwell writes as fact. So many of the assertions he's presented in his books have been identified as bogus.

Although I do think it's more important to significantly increase teachers' salaries to make it a more enticing profession.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »
I don't really trust anything Gladwell writes as fact. So many of the assertions he's presented in his books have been identified as bogus.

Although I do think it's more important to significantly increase teachers' salaries to make it a more enticing profession.

sure but i think there is something to this. all the rich countries just think lower class size but it isn't that easy and the money, like you said, would be better spent somewhere else.

i also think that people with non teaching degrees should be able to take a test and pass and then teach. we are severely limiting our pool of possible "good" teachers by saying they have to have a teaching degree.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:30:50 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »