Author Topic: A sustainable path . . .  (Read 12414 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: A sustainable path . . .
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »
CA class sizes are approaching 40 tho aren't they? Cutting them in half would seem to hit the sweet spot
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »

i also think that people with non teaching degrees should be able to take a test and pass and then teach. we are severely limited our pool of possible "good" teachers by saying they have to have a teaching degree.

This.

:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »
I don't really trust anything Gladwell writes as fact. So many of the assertions he's presented in his books have been identified as bogus.

Although I do think it's more important to significantly increase teachers' salaries to make it a more enticing profession.

sure but i think there is something to this. all the rich countries just think lower class size but it isn't that easy and the money, like you said, would be better spent somewhere else.

i also think that people with non teaching degrees should be able to take a test and pass and then teach. we are severely limited our pool of possible "good" teachers by saying they have to have a teaching degree.

If I could make even 80% of my current salary and not need a new degree to teach I would quit my job tomorrow.

Heck, for 50% of my salary, I'd quit and move to Kansas to teach.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 12:34:37 PM »
I don't really trust anything Gladwell writes as fact. So many of the assertions he's presented in his books have been identified as bogus.

Although I do think it's more important to significantly increase teachers' salaries to make it a more enticing profession.

sure but i think there is something to this. all the rich countries just think lower class size but it isn't that easy and the money, like you said, would be better spent somewhere else.

If I could make even 80% of my current salary and not need a new degree to teach I would quit my job tomorrow.

Lol at you teaching in Kansas.  You'd be fired for teaching evolution

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »
CA class sizes are approaching 40 tho aren't they? Cutting them in half would seem to hit the sweet spot
20 is probably ideal for older kids in districts that have somewhere close to a majority of students with supportive families.  The schools full of young kids that are being sent school hungry in the same clothes day after day are in need of the smallest class sizes. 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »

Kansas has this
http://www.ksde.org/Agency/DivisionofLearningServices/TeacherLicensureandAccreditation/Postsecondary/EducatorPreparation/RestrictedTeachingLicenseAlternativePathway.aspx

IIRC you have an engineering degree, so I think you would have zero issues becoming a math teacher

Eligibility-(Must meet all eligibility requirements)
    A Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited university,
    The degree or equivalent coursework must be in a regular education content area you want to teach, OR be a heritage language speaker,
    A GPA of 2.75 from the last 60 semester credits hours of college coursework completed,
    A passing score for the Praxis II content assessment in the content area, AND
    A supervised practical training experience must be completed under the collaboration of the supporting institution and hiring school district before restricted teaching license can be issued.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »

Kansas has this
http://www.ksde.org/Agency/DivisionofLearningServices/TeacherLicensureandAccreditation/Postsecondary/EducatorPreparation/RestrictedTeachingLicenseAlternativePathway.aspx

IIRC you have an engineering degree, so I think you would have zero issues becoming a math teacher

The degree or equivalent coursework must be in a regular education content area you want to teach, OR be a heritage language speaker,
    A GPA of 2.75 from the last 60 semester credits hours of college coursework completed,
    A supervised practical training experience must be completed under the collaboration of the supporting institution and hiring school district before restricted teaching license can be issued.

still the salary thing

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »

Kansas has this

still the salary thing

Don't you live in San Francisco?  Need to adjust for the CoL between SF and KS, imho.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
man i can just picture kk and michigan carpooling to work swapping stories about planning hours and that johnson kid who told the asst principle to screw off during assembly last week.  :love:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 01:17:10 PM »
good thing obama as actively working to decrease the size of our military. that will help to not add to the already over 10 million retired vets receiving benefits.  :cheers:

I'm all for that, our military is way to big and the fear mongering about being unable to sustain a two front war (which still exists even after all these years) is absurd.   One only need to watch the military channel for awhile and see on the various shows that our military industrial complex spending is ridiculous, with every sort of customized system for every branch of the military to meet every single contingency.   Many of those contingencies are one's that we shouldn't even be in to begin with. 

It's unnerving to me that four of the five wealthiest per capita counties in the US are the one's surrounding our nations capital.   There's too many people living large off government largess and many of those people are in the military-industrial-intelligence complex.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »
Don't you live in San Francisco?  Need to adjust for the CoL between SF and KS, imho.

did you read my post you dweeb?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »
Don't you live in San Francisco?  Need to adjust better for the CoL between SF and KS, imho.

I think your numbers are off is what I'm saying.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
Don't you live in San Francisco?  Need to adjust better for the CoL between SF and KS, imho.

I was pretty friggin close for not calculating or looking anything up.

http://www.infoplease.com/business/economy/cost-living-index-us-cities.html

91.8 for wichita, 164.0 for SF. So instead of 50% vs. 80% a blind KS demand should be 45%. Given the weather and other advantages CA has I think my 50% demand was generous.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »
Teaching would be a fun job. I would want to work summers, though.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »

I was pretty friggin close for not calculating or looking anything up.

http://www.infoplease.com/business/economy/cost-living-index-us-cities.html

91.8 for wichita, 164.0 for SF. So instead of 50% vs. 80% a blind KS demand should be 45%. Given the weather and other advantages CA has I think my 50% demand was generous.

Do you even like K-State?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »

I would work on a farm!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »

I would work on a farm!

Oh, look at you. You have a farm you can go work on.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »

I would work on a farm!

Oh, look at you. You have a farm you can go work on.

I'm very fortunate, for sure.

Although I do know lots of farmers struggle to find good reliable help, so who knows!

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 02:02:08 PM »
I would like to see the results of a test study with at risk kids, where the only control was class sizes of 1 and see if it makes any difference.
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 03:41:01 PM »
What does the average teacher in Oakland make? $30 an hour plus bennies?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
What does the average teacher in Oakland make? $30 an hour plus bennies?

That's actually pretty close, but it's lower than other districts in the region, which is a factor in teachers getting early experience in Oakland until they can get a job in a "better" district. IMO Oakland teachers should make at least 50% more than teachers in Piedmont and Alameda.

The report also found that Oakland teachers are paid too little. Starting salary is just over $39,000, about $8,000 lower than San Francisco and $3,000 below Alameda, while Oakland's top salary of $71,000 is well below a cap of $82,000 in San Francisco and $89,000 in Piedmont.

http://www.sfgate.com/education/article/Report-stirs-debate-on-Oakland-teachers-4368818.php

Here's the full report, notice the graph showing all the teachers leaving in their first five years to other districts (page 13):
http://www.goleadershipcenter.org/NCTQ%20Oakland%20Report.pdf

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »
Looks like some of you need to go start a thread to discuss your fear of pursuing your true calling.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »
Looks like some of you need to go start a thread to discuss your fear of pursuing your true calling.

Do you not like the direction your thread took? I asked for your solutions to reducing entitlements, and this is what you give us? C'mon, dax!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »

Do you not like the direction your thread took? I asked for your solutions to reducing entitlements, and this is what you give us? C'mon, dax!

I live in a state that has pretty strident follow-up on those getting unemployment benefits, what about Cali cRusty?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2014, 06:34:31 PM »

I live in a state that has pretty strident follow-up on those getting unemployment benefits, what about Cali cRusty?

that's your solution? How do the rates of people collecting unemployment benefits in California compare to North Carolina?