Author Topic: A sustainable path . . .  (Read 12759 times)

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
Re: A sustainable path . . .
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2014, 10:15:38 PM »
If I was to give a kid two pieces of advice that if implemented would guarantee nearly everybody a reasonable level of happiness and success they would be

1. get involved with your local church and use the bible as your guide

2. give 100% effort to your endeavors.

Show me anyone who has executed these two things and has a trainwreck for a life.  (they don't cost any money either)
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »
I don't do either of those and am doing quite well.

I am not a believer and half ass things on occasion.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »

If the primary problem with poor districts is the parents, would you consider sending your kids to the lowest rated KCMO public school? I mean, you would be a good hard working parent, do you think your kids would be just fine in that scenario?

1. If bad parents, then low-rated schools.

2. If low-rated  schools, then poor education.

Inference:  if bad parents, then poor education.

---

For the purpose of your argument, you seem to have accepted the two premises as true, in which case the inference must be true.

Your argument is (logically) not necessarily true, as you seem to be guilty of conflating the sufficient and necessary conditions of these statements. Even when we consider the contrapositives, this argument tells us nothing about what must occur if the parents are good (I.e. "Not bad"). Therefore, the position you've taken is neither sound nor cogent. 

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »

not saying you have to, just that if your back is up against the wall with failure all around your family and your neighborhood, this will work in a pinch.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »

not saying you have to, just that if your back is up against the wall with failure all around your family and your neighborhood, this will work in a pinch.

Not if you don't have adequate opportunity.  The bible isn't a magic lamp.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »
If I was to give a kid two pieces of advice that if implemented would guarantee nearly everybody a reasonable level of happiness and success they would be

Show me anyone who has executed these two things and has a trainwreck for a life.  (they don't cost any money either)

Did your good ole uncle Tannoudji teach you that?

:shakesfist:

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2014, 10:30:15 PM »

Not if you don't have adequate opportunity.  The bible isn't a magic lamp.

this is the land of opportunity pro.  people bend over backwards to help people doing the right things.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »
Interesting if true

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »

It would make the teachers care more and attract better teachers.

Not as long as the teachers union exists. There is zero incentive to improve until the threat of unemployment is restored for every teacher regardless of seniority.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2014, 11:01:26 PM »

Not as long as the teachers union exists. There is zero incentive to improve until the threat of unemployment is restored for every teacher regardless of seniority.

You could definitely attract better candidates to become teachers. I'm assuming you aren't arguing that.

I disagree that better paid teachers wouldn't have more incentive to perform across the board. I definitely wouldn't work as hard at my job if I was paid what a teacher makes. I'm sure what you're saying applies to many teachers, but definitely not all.

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2014, 09:34:01 AM »

Why don't you try to make a cogent post and then pop-off.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »
Fyi, saying the bible is going to solve all this isn't exactly productive either. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »

Why don't you try to make a cogent post and then pop-off.
You start with rely on church and the bible and then ask others to make cogent posts. Hilarious.
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
Fyi, saying the bible is going to solve all this isn't exactly productive either.

Made it very easy for me to disregard every one of their posts from here on. Pretty productive if you ask me
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2014, 12:08:34 PM »

Made it very easy for me to disregard every one of their posts from here on. Pretty productive if you ask me

A couple days ago he actually stumped for segregation, if not secession,  but the bible thingy is what got you there?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2014, 12:15:33 PM »

1.  Which parts of the Bible, because the Bible tells you to do some pretty ridiculous and awful stuff

2.  that falls into the "no crap" category

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »

A couple days ago he actually stumped for segregation, if not secession,  but the bible thingy is what got you there

To be fair, I still can't tell if it's a parody account or not
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »

A couple days ago he actually stumped for segregation, if not secession,  but the bible thingy is what got you there

I mean his name's TUBESOCK

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »

Which has actually never been a real issue and is 100% the invention of the radical right to attack one of the largest unions.  Because its not like all contracts don't have provisions to get shitty teachers out if administrators would just do their jobs.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »

Which has actually never been a real issue and is 100% the invention of the radical right to attack one of the largest unions.  Because its not like all contracts don't have provisions to get shitty teachers out if administrators would just do their jobs.

It may not be as big an issue in some states, but in CA, they literally rule the state's legislators.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/18/opinion/la-oe-senik-california-teachers-association-20120518

One outcome of the CTA's generosity to the Democrats who control California's Legislature, combined with its hard-ball negotiating style, is that teachers in California — even terrible ones — are virtually never fired. A tiny 0.03% of California teachers are dismissed after three or more years on the job. In the last decade, the L.A. Unified School District, home to 33,000 teachers, has fired only four. Even when teachers are fired, it's seldom because of their classroom performance: A 2009 expose by this newspaper found that only 20% of successful dismissals in the state had anything to do with teaching ability. Most involved teachers behaving either obscenely or criminally.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »

I mean his name's TUBESOCK

Yeah, this is why I laid off for so long. 

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
teachers get paid plenty.  their job isn't difficult, they don't work many hours, and they get summers off.

:ROFL:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2014, 04:35:50 PM »
teachers get paid plenty.  their job isn't difficult, they don't work many hours, and they get summers off.

which part of that statement do you disagree with?  b/c all of it is true so i'm just curious.

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »

which part of that statement do you disagree with?  b/c all of it is true so i'm just curious.

All of it.  Summers off...true.  How many hours do most professionals work in a day?  What basis do you have for the claim that our jobs aren't difficult?