Author Topic: StL County Cops Shoot Teen  (Read 235502 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: StL County Cops Shoot Teen
« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »
Again, the friend doesn't deny that Brown and the cop got in a physical struggle while the cop was still seated in his vehicle. So the question is, what's more believable? That Brown shoved the officer back into the vehicle as he was trying to get out, or that the officer decided to latch onto Brown and pull him into the vehicle from a seated position? That just doesn't make any sense. Even if the officer was pissed and behaving irrationally, you don't grab a big dude from a seated position - you get out of your vehicle to assert your authoritay. So up to that point I believe the cop.

:lol:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
Yeah, we don't know all of the details, but it sure sounds like there was more than 1 officer at the scene and we also know that this same police force arrested a journalist in a McDonalds for taking a photo. It sounds like the kid got violent with a police officer, so it's not as bad as the Trayvon Martin situation, but it's still pretty awful. I would like to see murder charges filed on the cop.

It's interesting that you think this is not as bad as the TM shooting because Brown (likely) attacked a cop, but it's actually just the opposite from a self-defense standpoint.

When it comes to justifiable shooting, the relevant question is not so much the preceding events (outside of illegal preceding events, and GZ was not breaking the law), but whether the shooter had a reasonable belief of imminent threat of grave bodily harm or death at the time of the shooting. In the TM case, the physical evidence (wounds to GZ head) and eyewitness testimony (TM on top) provided much greater support for GZ having such a belief. The cop appears to have a much weaker case due to eye witness testimony and the distance away from Brown at the time of the shooting.

I don't really care who has the stronger case. The cop killed a kid in the heat of the moment after being attacked. Zimmerman hunted down a fleeing kid who had done absolutely nothing wrong.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 15, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2014, 09:54:14 AM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
OMG that news conference and timeline :ROFL:

They had it in front of the quiktrip. Really? Really.

Missouri should've appointed the good cops to do all this too.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »
How does outside of a shove someone the back getting out of a car?

Rephrase the question, please.

Again, the friend doesn't deny that Brown and the cop got in a physical struggle while the cop was still seated in his vehicle. So the question is, what's more believable? That Brown shoved the officer back into the vehicle as he was trying to get out, or that the officer decided to latch onto Brown and pull him into the vehicle from a seated position? That just doesn't make any sense. Even if the officer was pissed and behaving irrationally, you don't grab a big dude from a seated position - you get out of your vehicle to assert your authoritay. So up to that point I believe the cop.

It also doesn't make sense why you shoot an unarmed assailant multiple times 35 feet away from you. So both stories are in doubt, but without more facts the best I can surmise is that Brown very stupidly attacked the cop, and the cop then very stupidly overreacted and shot a retreating Brown.

Can you honestly say you don't recognize grabbing someone and pulling them into you as a method of intimidation?   

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »
Yeah, we don't know all of the details, but it sure sounds like there was more than 1 officer at the scene and we also know that this same police force arrested a journalist in a McDonalds for taking a photo. It sounds like the kid got violent with a police officer, so it's not as bad as the Trayvon Martin situation, but it's still pretty awful. I would like to see murder charges filed on the cop.

It's interesting that you think this is not as bad as the TM shooting because Brown (likely) attacked a cop, but it's actually just the opposite from a self-defense standpoint.

When it comes to justifiable shooting, the relevant question is not so much the preceding events (outside of illegal preceding events, and GZ was not breaking the law), but whether the shooter had a reasonable belief of imminent threat of grave bodily harm or death at the time of the shooting. In the TM case, the physical evidence (wounds to GZ head) and eyewitness testimony (TM on top) provided much greater support for GZ having such a belief. The cop appears to have a much weaker case due to eye witness testimony and the distance away from Brown at the time of the shooting.

I don't really care who has the stronger case. The cop killed a kid in the heat of the moment after being attacked. Zimmerman hunted down a fleeing kid who had done absolutely nothing wrong.

Putting the legal case aside, the Brown shooting is also potentially worse from a "moral" or "justice" standpoint or whatever you want to call it. A cop shooting someone thirty five feet away "in the heat of the moment" isn't right, period. By contrast, saying that "Zimmerman hunted down a fleeing kid who had absolutely nothing wrong" leaves out a few very pertinent details - like how that fleeing kid didn't really seem to be trying to flee based on his phone call with his girlfriend, and then jumped GZ and started beating on him.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2014, 10:05:02 AM »

It also doesn't make sense why you shoot an unarmed assailant multiple times 35 feet away from you. So both stories are in doubt, but without more facts the best I can surmise is that Brown very stupidly attacked the cop, and the cop then very stupidly overreacted and shot a retreating Brown.

Can you honestly say you don't recognize grabbing someone and pulling them into you as a method of intimidation?

Not from a seated position - that is contrary to natural instinct. If you're trying to assult someone, threaten them, whatever, you get "big," and you get leverage. Even if the officer was behaving irrationally, his instincts ("animal instincts" if you will) don't go out the window. In fact, the instincts take over.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »

Putting the legal case aside, the Brown shooting is also potentially worse from a "moral" or "justice" standpoint or whatever you want to call it. A cop shooting someone thirty five feet away "in the heat of the moment" isn't right, period. By contrast, saying that "Zimmerman hunted down a fleeing kid who had absolutely nothing wrong" leaves out a few very pertinent details - like how that fleeing kid didn't really seem to be trying to flee based on his phone call with his girlfriend, and then jumped GZ and started beating on him.

If Trayvon wasn't running away, then why did Zimmerman tell the 911 dispatcher that he was? They are both murderers, but Zimmerman poses a greater threat to society than this cop does.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 15, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »

Not from a seated position - that is contrary to natural instinct. If you're trying to assult someone, threaten them, whatever, you get "big," and you get leverage.

I would say that it all depends on the situation.  Also, being an armed cop is leverage.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 15, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »

Not from a seated position - that is contrary to natural instinct. If you're trying to assult someone, threaten them, whatever, you get "big," and you get leverage.

I would say that it all depends on the situation.  Also, being an armed cop is leverage.

I'm talking about physical leverage and natural instinct. You're talking about rational reaction (though it wouldn't be rational to grab someone from a seated position, either).

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 15, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »

If Trayvon wasn't running away, then why did Zimmerman tell the 911 dispatcher that he was? They are both murderers, but Zimmerman poses a greater threat to society than this cop does.

There's a difference between initially trying to evade Zimmerman and "fleeing" like a scared deer. If you really believe that GZ chased Martin down and tackled him, I can't help you.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 15, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
I don't think it's rational for a cop to get out of the car to force someone to walk on the sidewalk. I mean, I guess it's their job, but that doesn't make it rational.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:21:08 AM by michigancat »

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 15, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
I guess I am irrational as I have done it before.  Not in a car, but on a bar stool. 

Also, how big is the cop? 

A bunch of details matter in suggesting how he would react.  Also, I highly doubt the situation started out at 100mph.  I would assume it started at something more normal then escalated.  Grabbing someone and pulling them to you to get mean with them is something that wouldn't require a full fight/flight reaction as it usually takes place before that happens.   All that said, I am not a cop, so throw out some of the thought behind this. 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 15, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
I don't think it's rational for a cop to get out of the car to force someone to walk on the sidewalk. I mean, I guess it's there job, but that doesn't make it rational.
ummm....did you see the pics posted?
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »
I don't think it's rational for a cop to get out of the car to force someone to walk on the sidewalk. I mean, I guess it's there job, but that doesn't make it rational.
ummm....did you see the pics posted?

maybe?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 15, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
They should have just got out and played catch with them or something. That's what KC cops do.  :gocho:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 15, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »
Whats this about a robbery?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/08/15/340594634/ferguson-police-release-name-of-officer-who-shot-michael-brown

Where is that photo from and why is it posted with this link? That photo isn't included in the story?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:02 AM »
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/08/15/ferguson-police-report.pdf
police reports

Why haven't they arrested Johnson?
who the hell knows

why didn't the cops get out in front of this by releasing info early?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »
So break it down for me. Is that him?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 15, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
Whats this about a robbery?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/08/15/340594634/ferguson-police-release-name-of-officer-who-shot-michael-brown

Where is that photo from and why is it posted with this link? That photo isn't included in the story?

Its from the police reports on the robbery shortly before the shooting.  Someone rehosted the color images.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »
So break it down for me. Is that him?
police reports make it seem like the cops think so.

Red hat and flip flops
Image of Brown, dead, in roadway.