Author Topic: Apple  (Read 35846 times)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: Apple
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
They make sleek looking products that put form and usability above function. To 99% of the public their products do everything they need, and do it well, without a hassle. 
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
I don't really have anything against Apple or their products.  I just get annoyed with all of the hoopla every time they put out a product.  It's like Notre Dame football and Duke basketball.  Shut up, already.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »
I don't really have anything against Apple or their products.  I just get annoyed with all of the hoopla every time they put out a product.  It's like Notre Dame football and Duke basketball.  Shut up, already.

You know what won't make people stop talking about Apple products?  Starting a thread entitled "Apple".

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 12:46:56 PM »

You know what won't make people stop talking about Apple products?  Starting a thread entitled "Apple".

Nothing I do will stop the hoopla.  I'm talking about the hoopla.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
They make sleek looking products that put form and usability above function. To 99% of the public their products do everything they need, and do it well, without a hassle. 
this pretty much sums it up.  and LOL @ Duke's win sending Chum into orbit about Apple  :lol:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »
this pretty much sums it up.  and LOL @ Duke's win sending Chum into orbit about Apple  :lol:

Good God, WTF would I have done had those $utler $ulldogs won it all!!!   :runaway:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
Go Duke!?!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
It's just repackaged existing technology, built for mass consumption. The fact that people would spend $5-900 for first generation technology that currently has nothing more than a niche market is a joke and shows how sheepish people are, though.

Are you still talking about the iphone?

That was talking about the ipad.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »
You could also add to the list of things they do well: Quality. Granted this has gone down as production has gone up, but every product they develop utilizes above average technology. The fact that every year they one-up themselves sets a benchmark not matched by many.

Anyone who says that the iphone isn't revolutionary is just as blind as those who would follow apple without question. The invention of apps, the apps store, and the itunes marketplace alone is enough to put it in this category.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »
The Japanese invented quality.  Apps are toys.  iTunes?  Don't know, but sounds like repackaged Napster.  Everything else of theirs is a repackaged something else.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 02:14:48 PM »
The Japanese invented quality.  Apps are toys.  iTunes?  Don't know, but sounds like repackaged Napster.  Everything else of theirs is a repackaged something else.

I didn't realize that napster figured out a way to actually be a extremely profitable, legally run business.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »
iphone...The invention of apps, the apps store

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »

name the company that made these things accessible to the general public. when someone says "oh i've got this app" its not referring to anything else than apple.

definitely taking liberties with the word "invention," i agree.

GMAFB

do you give companies like Facebook flack for creating a social network that actually works and is more accessible than myspace? or friendster? technology is a progressive sport. it builds on top of itself, providing useful and more fluid products.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
People who blindly hate apple are also pretty funny.  :users:

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 02:50:03 PM »
People who blindly hate apple are also pretty funny.  :users:

this.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
You could also add to the list of things they do well: Quality. Granted this has gone down as production has gone up, but every product they develop utilizes above average technology. The fact that every year they one-up themselves sets a benchmark not matched by many.

Anyone who says that the iphone isn't revolutionary is just as blind as those who would follow apple without question. The invention of apps, the apps store, and the itunes marketplace alone is enough to put it in this category.

What a load of utter crap. Above average tech? Their most powerful CPU's are 2 generations old. Video card options are pitiful. Inventing apps? Please tell me you're a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) 3 year old. You know "app" is short for "application" right?

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »

name the company that made these things accessible to the general public. when someone says "oh i've got this app" its not referring to anything else than apple.

GMAFB

do you give companies like Facebook flack for creating a social network that actually works and is more accessible than myspace? or friendster? technology is a progressive sport. it builds on top of itself, providing useful and more fluid products.

First, I've never heard of "friendster."

Now that we've cleared that up, I never said anything negative about Apple's ability to market their products which improve upon originals made by others, or their ability to create more accessible ways to get to said products. In fact, I touted Apple's ability to do just that earlier in this thread.

What I was facepalming was the fact that you think Apple "invented" apps and app stores, which is ridiculous (yet very Apple Fanboy-ish of you). Cell phones had apps and online vending machines to buy apps long, long before Apple entered the telecom industry.

Now, if you'd have said, "Apple invented a new way in which to market apps, by allowing users to create their own and publish them," then I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »

GMAFB

Who else made programs accessible to the general public? Are you seriously asking this???

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
How is this

Now, if you'd have said, "Apple invented a new way in which to market apps, by allowing users to create their own and publish them," then I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly.

not inherently implied in this

?

you applied your own definition to apps or app store and then compared that with the portion of the apps or apps store created by apple. in that narrow scope you are correct. but the definition is not complete when looked at through the totality of what apple has created and utilized for profit. by doing this you sound like a anti-fanboy that has a limited perspective on technology.

Who else made programs accessible to the general public? Are you seriously asking this???

please see above. tia.

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 04:35:31 PM »

Technology 101 Final Exam
Answer all questions in essay format.

1. MS-DOS was a repackaged version of Digital Research's CP/M operating system.  Discuss the comparative present-day market values of Microsoft & Digital Research.  Which is more profitable the innovator or the copycat? 

2. The first commercially available motorcycle was produced by Hildebrand & Wolfmüller in 1894.  Discuss the subsequent profitability of Hildebrand & Wolfmüller's firm up to and including the present day.  Compare and contrast their financial results with those of later market entrants.

Extra credit: In 1927 HM Warner, co-founder of Warner Brothers, famously asked, "Who in the Hell wants to hear actors talk?"  Compare and contrast his criticism of an evolutionary change in the technology relevant to his firm with the evolutionary change in consumer electronics driven by Apple today. Can an a seemingly minor evolutionary change produce extreme changes in the market for a given product?  If so why?  If not why not?  Discuss examples supporting your answer.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 04:41:27 PM »
How is this

?

you applied your own definition to apps or app store and then compared that with the portion of the apps or apps store created by apple. in that narrow scope you are correct. but the definition is not complete when looked at through the totality of what apple has created and utilized for profit. by doing this you sound like a anti-fanboy that has a limited perspective on technology.

please see above. tia.

I own an iBook, so I'd hardly consider myself anti-Apple. I don't partake in something as stupid as "choosing sides" when it comes to brands. Some Apple products are better than their competitors' products; some are not.

As for your post above: yikes. There is no argument on the "definition of an app;" it's set in stone. "App" is just short for "application," and again, cell phones ran applications (Java, BREW, etc.) way before Apple entered the telecom industry. This isn't debatable; it's a fact.

What Apple did that was innovative in the telecom space was to market the app store and apps themselves, in their own campaigns. Prior to this, telecom carriers left it up to the 3rd party vendors to market their own individual apps, and the carriers stuck to just marketing phones, plans, and coverage.

Once again, most of Apple's "innovation" comes in the marketing space, not the technology space.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010, 04:58:05 PM »
As for your post above: yikes. There is no argument on the "definition of an app;" it's set in stone. "App" is just short for "application," and again, cell phones ran applications (Java, BREW, etc.) way before Apple entered the telecom industry. This isn't debatable; it's a fact.

What Apple did that was innovative in the telecom space was to market the app store and apps themselves, in their own campaigns. Prior to this, telecom carriers left it up to the 3rd party vendors to market their own individual apps, and the carriers stuck to just marketing phones, plans, and coverage.

Once again, most of Apple's "innovation" comes in the marketing space, not the technology space.

if you actually believe i don't know what the eff an Application is or how they are utilized throughout industry and technology you are an ass clown.

i obviously was referring to a very specific set of apps, and a very specific marketplace.

the apps created for the iphone are unique. in that they can not run on any other piece of machinery. the iphone had to exist prior to its apps existing, or at least the os. therefore the system and surrounding technology is unique and new.

whether something builds on something else or uses prior technology is meaningless. innovations come from expansion of previous knowledge and resources. if you can show me an app store that encompasses everything that the apple app store does, in the same manner (this included marketing AND structure) previous to the existence of the Apple app store then go ahead. the same argument applies to the apps as well.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
How is this

?

please see above. tia.

You're still ignorant and delusional. They took something that has been around long before them, spit shined and marketed it to the masses. There was no inventing. "inventing apps and app stores" is certainly not a title held for Apple. I can't believe I'm actually having this conversation. Arguing that they "invented" apps for a certain platform as a case for your Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) statement is hilarious.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »

if you actually believe i don't know what the eff an Application is or how they are utilized throughout industry and technology you are an ass clown.

i obviously was referring to a very specific set of apps, and a very specific marketplace.

the apps created for the iphone are unique. in that they can not run on any other piece of machinery. the iphone had to exist prior to its apps existing, or at least the os. therefore the system and surrounding technology is unique and new.

whether something builds on something else or uses prior technology is meaningless. innovations come from expansion of previous knowledge and resources. if you can show me an app store that encompasses everything that the apple app store does, in the same manner (this included marketing AND structure) previous to the existence of the Apple app store then go ahead. the same argument applies to the apps as well.

Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) people must not know the difference between "innovate" and "invent".

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2010, 05:10:47 PM »

Wow, so your whole point is that Apple invented the iPhone App Store and ability to create iPhone apps to go in it?

Um, congrats?