Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 111269 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #1125 on: April 14, 2020, 03:50:20 PM »
I still need to do my last run. Waited until Nov last year iirc

Never did do this.

Took the plunge yesterday finally and paid some dude to mow my lawn this year. Feels great.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 14, 2020, 05:30:48 PM »
recently got a doggo and she did a number on my yard this winter with pee spots. I'm currently trying out some Scott EZ Seed and hoping that helps will them back in.
I've recently been hosing down the grass every time she pees and hopefully that will help.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 24, 2021, 12:01:29 PM »
recently got a doggo and she did a number on my yard this winter with pee spots. I'm currently trying out some Scott EZ Seed and hoping that helps will them back in.
I've recently been hosing down the grass every time she pees and hopefully that will help.

Update: hosing down the grass worked pretty well.  However she did more damage this winter. Will need to fill those in again.

Thinking of putting down some pre-emergent this weekend for the rest of the lawn. Pretty excited.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1128 on: March 24, 2021, 12:02:56 PM »
In case you aren't aware, it's tough but you have to keep that pre-emergent off your starter stuff.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 24, 2021, 12:49:24 PM »
My yard is like WWI.  Lots of energy and money expended, lots of killing, lots of chemical warfare, desperate attacks, stubbornness, fear.  But nothing ever changes.  The trenches don't move.  The yard is the same.  War is hell.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 24, 2021, 12:52:42 PM »
In case you aren't aware, it's tough but you have to keep that pre-emergent off your starter stuff.

yup!  :thumbs: I probably should have worded it differently. What time frame should i start seeding? I think last year I started some too late and it was dried out by summer.
- chunkles

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 24, 2021, 02:18:39 PM »
My yard is like WWI.  Lots of energy and money expended, lots of killing, lots of chemical warfare, desperate attacks, stubbornness, fear.  But nothing ever changes.  The trenches don't move.  The yard is the same.  War is hell.
This was beautiful, thank you for this 33.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 24, 2021, 02:23:29 PM »

Update: hosing down the grass worked pretty well.  However she did more damage this winter. Will need to fill those in again.

Thinking of putting down some pre-emergent this weekend for the rest of the lawn. Pretty excited.

My backyard hates me for getting a nutjob GSP like Milo who literally sprints circles around the garden and back/forth between fences slamming on the brakes each time. I fenced off the worst part of the yard and put down some EZ Seed a couple of days ago. If that works I'll just move to another part of the yard in a couple months until eventually I have to go back to where I first started.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 24, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »
Purchased a new mower.  The yard isn't quite big enough for a rider, but the Timemaster 30 should cut my mow time by 40%. 

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 24, 2021, 02:48:27 PM »

My backyard hates me for getting a nutjob GSP like Milo who literally sprints circles around the garden and back/forth between fences slamming on the brakes each time. I fenced off the worst part of the yard and put down some EZ Seed a couple of days ago. If that works I'll just move to another part of the yard in a couple months until eventually I have to go back to where I first started.

My dog loves to kill grass with pee

WildcatNkilt, that new mower looks awesome.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 24, 2021, 02:50:10 PM »
why do people like grass so much

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 24, 2021, 03:50:18 PM »

Yeah agree.  The tide did turn in my yard when I got a land ship (Cub Cadet).

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 24, 2021, 04:07:08 PM »

Yeah agree.  The tide did turn in my yard when I got a land ship (Cub Cadet).

Going back to paying someone to fertilize and further poison the water supply this year. I've found that it doesn't really help much as compared to when I half ass it, but at least I can yell at someone for when the weeds show up this year.  :dunno:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1138 on: March 24, 2021, 04:14:47 PM »

yup!  :thumbs: I probably should have worded it differently. What time frame should i start seeding? I think last year I started some too late and it was dried out by summer.
Next fall. It's hard af to start grass seed after applying a pre-emergent in the spring. Takes about 8 weeks to hit a growing window. By then, it can be too hot for good germination in your climate.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 24, 2021, 05:05:21 PM »
I really wish we didn’t have a lawn. But based on the houses I’ve seen without lawns I’m increasingly convinced it’s a necessary evil.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: March 24, 2021, 05:20:58 PM »
I really wish we didn’t have a lawn. But based on the houses I’ve seen without lawns I’m increasingly convinced it’s a necessary evil.

houses should be closer together

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 24, 2021, 05:40:55 PM »
Just went and got the mower out of the shed. Only took like 5 minutes to start :Thumbs: That's like a new record. Winterizing actually worked this time. The cheapo i bought from Menards 8 years ago for like $150 keeps on ticking.

Checked out the sprinkler system again today. Bad news...gotta small leak at the anti siphon valve. Hopefully the $30 repair kit does the trick.
- chunkles

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 08, 2021, 08:09:52 PM »
As I start to do one thing to improve my house/yard the next thing just bugs me more.  I have raked a couple areas and spread some scotts ez seed and am going to water the crap out of it, but I don't have a ton of hope, more of an experiment.  May need to just re-sod a couple areas???

Also, I got a solo stove and want to put some rock around it where there is a dead spot and the guy asked me for measurements and because I mentioned the hole from where the slide landing was he asked me for measurements and mentioned pitch and I was like "I'll measure it and get back to you" and now am just going to respond: "actually you will need to take a look, I have no clue."

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: May 08, 2021, 08:32:58 PM »
As I start to do one thing to improve my house/yard the next thing just bugs me more.  I have raked a couple areas and spread some scotts ez seed and am going to water the crap out of it, but I don't have a ton of hope, more of an experiment.  May need to just re-sod a couple areas???

Also, I got a solo stove and want to put some rock around it where there is a dead spot and the guy asked me for measurements and because I mentioned the hole from where the slide landing was he asked me for measurements and mentioned pitch and I was like "I'll measure it and get back to you" and now am just going to respond: "actually you will need to take a look, I have no clue."
Those solo stoves look awesome.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lawn Care
« Reply #1144 on: May 08, 2021, 09:24:08 PM »
I wasn’t going to build a more permanent structure and it is pretty cool. I used natural firestarter and it did smoke a bit but the smoke was definitely way less than a normal camp fire.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: May 09, 2021, 09:54:50 AM »
My friend got a solo stove and canco they rule and are way less smoky than a normal fire pit. The instagram algorithm really works

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: May 09, 2021, 10:45:46 AM »
My friend got a solo stove and canco they rule and are way less smoky than a normal fire pit. The instagram algorithm really works

Those do look cool, but for $500 they better be amazing. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 09, 2021, 01:10:18 PM »
Just went and got the mower out of the shed. Only took like 5 minutes to start :Thumbs: That's like a new record. Winterizing actually worked this time. The cheapo i bought from Menards 8 years ago for like $150 keeps on ticking.

Checked out the sprinkler system again today. Bad news...gotta small leak at the anti siphon valve. Hopefully the $30 repair kit does the trick.

the repair kit did the trick :thumbs:

my re-seeding of the front yard piss spots worked great. Won't even be able to tell in a few more weeks.
I decided to try the backyard a few weeks later. It was going great until the hail storm last night. Will have to see how the little grass seedlings bounce back.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 09, 2021, 01:14:07 PM »

Ive had the best luck seeding in the fall. And recently discovered covering it with Peat Moss makes all the difference. I have had good luck with seeding first thing in the spring. There is just a small window to plant before it gets too hot.
If i had a huge area, i would re-sod. Good luck!
- chunkles

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 09, 2021, 01:24:46 PM »

Those do look cool, but for $500 they better be amazing.
I think my friend has the $300 one