Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 107795 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #1150 on: May 10, 2021, 10:13:23 AM »
Probably going to burn off with plans to seed this fall.  The shade in my front yard will make it kind of hard.  Probably going to have to bite the bullet and just do other stuff with the vast areas that I don't think will ever grow grass.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 11, 2021, 09:11:05 AM »
Probably going to burn off with plans to seed this fall.  The shade in my front yard will make it kind of hard.  Probably going to have to bite the bullet and just do other stuff with the vast areas that I don't think will ever grow grass.

I'd go the Grass Pad and give their shade variety a shot.  I trust those fuckers with my lawn's life.  My backyard has been totally transformed by just following their instructions.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 11, 2021, 09:15:40 AM »
As I start to do one thing to improve my house/yard the next thing just bugs me more.  I have raked a couple areas and spread some scotts ez seed and am going to water the crap out of it, but I don't have a ton of hope, more of an experiment.  May need to just re-sod a couple areas???

Ive had the best luck seeding in the fall. And recently discovered covering it with Peat Moss makes all the difference. I have had good luck with seeding first thing in the spring. There is just a small window to plant before it gets too hot.
If i had a huge area, i would re-sod. Good luck!

I learned the hard lesson to not bother with reseeding until the fall.  LOTS of time wasted trying it this time of year, unless it's a shady spot. 

Instead of peat moss, which is good, I use this stuff which I believe is better (Grass Pad dudes opinion, which I now agree with).  It's rough ridin' amazingly good over the top of seed.  Water it lightly like 4 times a day tho.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 11, 2021, 09:23:48 AM »
The thing about the grasspad is that at the grasspad, they're high on grass
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 11, 2021, 10:46:17 AM »
As I start to do one thing to improve my house/yard the next thing just bugs me more.  I have raked a couple areas and spread some scotts ez seed and am going to water the crap out of it, but I don't have a ton of hope, more of an experiment.  May need to just re-sod a couple areas???

Ive had the best luck seeding in the fall. And recently discovered covering it with Peat Moss makes all the difference. I have had good luck with seeding first thing in the spring. There is just a small window to plant before it gets too hot.
If i had a huge area, i would re-sod. Good luck!

I learned the hard lesson to not bother with reseeding until the fall.  LOTS of time wasted trying it this time of year, unless it's a shady spot. 

Instead of peat moss, which is good, I use this stuff which I believe is better (Grass Pad dudes opinion, which I now agree with).  It's rough ridin' amazingly good over the top of seed.  Water it lightly like 4 times a day tho.

Yes, the only caveat is if you have Bermuda, or other warm season lawn. Then your best bet is to seed in the summer months.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: August 29, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »
Ok folks just mowed the yard for the first time in weeks, my lawn is quite a bit better than the darkest days of the army worms but it still looks like absolute crap. How much am I going to have to pay Blueville or someone else to fix this?

If I can do it myself, what very specific things do I need to do? Assume you are talking to a 5th grader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: August 29, 2021, 09:18:04 PM »
Ok folks just mowed the yard for the first time in weeks, my lawn is quite a bit better than the darkest days of the army worms but it still looks like absolute crap. How much am I going to have to pay Blueville or someone else to fix this?

If I can do it myself, what very specific things do I need to do? Assume you are talking to a 5th grader.

When was the last time your lawn was aerated?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: August 29, 2021, 09:25:20 PM »
Never?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: August 29, 2021, 10:31:06 PM »

I can ask bluevillenurserycat who is currently kstateuniversitycat if you want.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: August 30, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »
The lawn advanced its position on me enormously this year.  Moles, army worms, new dog, newly ground stumps refusing to grow grass, all converging on my front and rear lawn in late July.  I have the equipment and supplies for one last counter offensive in the fall.  But, I fear it will be in vain.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: August 30, 2021, 01:28:28 PM »
i have a problem with grass growing in annoying places where i don't want it. i have a bunch of brick sidewalk and some random other planter areas with gravel and the grass is just relentless. what's the best grass/weed killer spray or whatever

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: August 30, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »
i have a problem with grass growing in annoying places where i don't want it. i have a bunch of brick sidewalk and some random other planter areas with gravel and the grass is just relentless. what's the best grass/weed killer spray or whatever

army worms seem to be pretty great at this

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: August 30, 2021, 01:35:25 PM »
diesel fuel

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: August 30, 2021, 01:37:15 PM »

From my experience the best way to kill grass is to hire me to try to maintain it and then it will instantly die and never return.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: August 31, 2021, 11:34:03 AM »
My lawn was holding up pretty good until about 2 weeks ago. It has absolutely cratered. Grubs or fungus, I think.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: August 31, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »
Mine's pretty bad but other than weed control I don't do much to it.

Need to get some hardy fescue blend down soon.  I just hate getting up to water it.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 03, 2021, 06:26:19 PM »
I have a mole(s) in my front yard…. Is there anyway to get rid of these turds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 04, 2021, 07:14:49 AM »

No.......... no.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1169 on: October 04, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »
Kill the grubs.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: October 04, 2021, 07:46:46 AM »

I am no expert, but I'd say that you need to put down grub killer every few months for the next year.  Gotta kill off their food source.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: October 04, 2021, 09:01:34 AM »
Kill the grubs.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
They've completely wrecked my grass. Was looking good until about Aug 1.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 04, 2021, 09:54:51 AM »

I am no expert, but I'd say that you need to put down grub killer every few months for the next year.  Gotta kill off their food source.

In theory.  In practice the grub killer just makes them super horny and they make one billion mole babies and turn your entire yard into a mole learning academy where they teach young moles how to dig up yards, create mounds, kill grass, destroy flower beds and humiliate humans in front of their neighbors.  Nature is truly a wonder.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: October 04, 2021, 10:02:13 AM »
I also think these are super freak moles. Wife saw (and videoed) one of those bastards out and about during the daytime. blind as a bat and stumbling around. I would've stomped on it if I was there but she's nicer than me.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 04, 2021, 02:20:39 PM »
Just let them have their fun, who gives a crap?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite