Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 111641 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #675 on: August 24, 2015, 08:34:40 AM »

also, going to fall aerate this year for the first time. sod will be about 16 months old so I think it's time. I mean, I'm not personally going to do it but you know what I mean.
Mow shorter before aeration and overseeing.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Reboulet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 24, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »
SPEAKING OF!: Dobber, my ornamental pear tree has some black spots on some of the leaves. in doing google on it I've discovered it could be almost anything (fungus, bugs, disease, etc.) and basically I have to just see if it goes away or not. any additional input here? should I go ahead and send the mrs. to the landscape place to pick out another tree?

I've noticed the pear tree spots all over my neighborhood, looks like no big deal: http://www.kansas.com/living/home-garden/article31182911.html

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 24, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
Replaced the oil/filter, fuel filter, and air filter on the JD this weekend in prep to aerate in the next week or two.   Turns out I am handy AF.  Who knew?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 24, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
SPEAKING OF!: Dobber, my ornamental pear tree has some black spots on some of the leaves. in doing google on it I've discovered it could be almost anything (fungus, bugs, disease, etc.) and basically I have to just see if it goes away or not. any additional input here? should I go ahead and send the mrs. to the landscape place to pick out another tree?

I've noticed the pear tree spots all over my neighborhood, looks like no big deal: http://www.kansas.com/living/home-garden/article31182911.html

hmmm, looks like I did the right thing by doing nothing and ignoring it

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 24, 2015, 12:42:07 PM »
Replaced the oil/filter, fuel filter, and air filter on the JD this weekend in prep to aerate in the next week or two.   Turns out I am handy AF.  Who knew?

I'm going to give a go at a deck spindle.   :ohno: 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 24, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »

so you're saying I overreacted? 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 24, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »

I'm going to give a go at a deck spindle.   :ohno:
I don't even know what that is :horrorsurprise:

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 24, 2015, 10:20:54 PM »

Most pear trees planted in subdivisions are planted because they are cheap and grow fast. Unfortunately, they also break pretty easily. A giant limb on a bradford pear across the street from me in a low/medium rain storm a couple of weeks ago.

Even if the black spots aren't a big deal, and it looks like they aren't, I recommend getting rid of the pear while you can and planting any of the varieties in #21-48 or #61-72 on this list:

http://arboretum.unl.edu/documents/Trees%20for%20Eastern%20Nebraska.pdf

Just think--your tree can grow up with Li'l SD!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 24, 2015, 10:41:30 PM »
good god my bradford pear tree is the biggest piece of crap ever.  it's like 35 feet tall and rains down 5 foot limbs pretty much weekly.  i hope it kills itself before i have to pay someone a shitload to kill it for me

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 24, 2015, 10:50:10 PM »
And the buds smell like crap in the spring.  All around.terrible tree.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 25, 2015, 08:00:45 AM »
Im moving

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 25, 2015, 08:17:39 AM »
i have a bradford too. it's the only tree in my backyard. when i moved in it was small and i almost took it out myself. now it's big though and just like sd's it has crap all over it.  :frown:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 25, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
I have four on one side of my house. They blot out the sun so I can't grow decent grass ACD in that big windstorm a few weeks ago one split in half and fell on my neighbor's 63 Oldsmobile

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 25, 2015, 09:49:28 AM »
They are the devil.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 25, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
they're pretty.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: August 25, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
they're pretty.
"Oh, they are soooo pretty and they grow sooooo fast! They provide shade right up until the point that they crash on your or your neighbor's car/house!"
THE DEVIL

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 25, 2015, 10:22:11 AM »
they're pretty.
"Oh, they are soooo pretty and they grow sooooo fast! They provide shade right up until the point that they crash on your or your neighbor's car/house!"
THE DEVIL

are all the flowering pears in fresno bradfords?  i've never noticed this smell people are complaining about.

most trees are assholes.  i'd trade my ash trees and my horrible fig tree for whatever problems the pears cause.  it can't be worse than raining figs down on you and everything you own.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 25, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »
maybe the fresno ones are evergreen pears.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 25, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »
they're pretty.
THE DEVIL

are all the flowering pears in fresno bradfords?  i've never noticed this smell people are complaining about.

most trees are assholes.  i'd trade my ash trees and my horrible fig tree for whatever problems the pears cause.  it can't be worse than raining figs down on you and everything you own.
I think Fresno has tons of bradford pears. I do not know of this horrible smell either. I just know that they are weak tree-devils that lose branches when somebody coughs.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 25, 2015, 10:32:04 AM »
they must be different cultivars of the same species.  most of them i see here don't have the upright, compact growth that the internet says bradfords have.  they're more spread out and shade tree-like.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 25, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »
You should be #acking the crap out of those figs. As food.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 25, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
Yes.  Figs are pretty great. 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 25, 2015, 11:08:21 AM »
You should be #acking the crap out of those figs. As food.

1.  i don't much care for figs, 2.  this variety of fig isn't the best i've encountered, 3.  birds peck holes in them all before they ripen enough for humans to want to eat them.

i'd have to put up netting or something.  too much work for a fruit i don't even like much.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 25, 2015, 10:22:58 PM »
there's a big movement to tear out Bradford pears in DFW because they're so awful and shitty
emaw

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 16, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »

hey, how is that tow behind aerator working out anyway?