Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 113163 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #625 on: August 05, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »
My next door neighbor just came by and mowed a lazy path around my yard with a John Deere riding mower. He then loaded it back on a trailer and left.  He has a tiny ass yard so he normally has a push mower.

I dont dont get it

me neither. I've never talked to the guy. I think im getting trolled.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 05, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
Does your lawn need to be mowed?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 05, 2015, 08:33:36 PM »
You may have just been zapped.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 05, 2015, 08:51:08 PM »
You missed a pretty great oppy to shoot him for trespassing
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 05, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »
Does your lawn need to be mowed?

Gonna win 'em all!

not really. I was planning on mowing tomorrow though.  I live in a shitty neighborhood with way worse yards.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 05, 2015, 11:38:23 PM »
What is the best time of year to lay St. Augustine sod in Louisiana? And how much is just the right amount of watering once you put it down?

in theory you can do it whenever. I have St Aug that's thin in spots and have gone back and forth between just overseeing with a tall fescue and blending them (I think this will probably look like crap?  idk) or just putting in new sod. from what I've read online (I'm in Texas) the best time to lay warm season sod like St Aug is in spring, but really it can be done as long as it isn't frozen. personally I'm probably going to lay sod or overseed with fescue this fall.
emaw

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 06, 2015, 01:13:46 AM »
Do not plant fescue in the St Aug. jmo.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 06, 2015, 08:35:31 AM »
that's what I thought :(

it would just be easier and I'm lazy. I'll probably just throw some sod down in a month or two.
emaw

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 06, 2015, 09:36:10 AM »
I still haven't mowed the backyard since may

I did this as well and then when I went to mow my mower freaked the eff out. 0 out of 5 stars.

I'll try when it gets down to like 60 degrees

some lady in Ohio went au naturale for her yard. her neighbors are pissed, but she has lots of cool butterflies and bees. it was on all things considered yesterday. i thought of you.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 06, 2015, 10:58:01 AM »

I did this as well and then when I went to mow my mower freaked the eff out. 0 out of 5 stars.

some lady in Ohio went au naturale for her yard. her neighbors are pissed, but she has lots of cool butterflies and bees. it was on all things considered yesterday. i thought of you.
take it to the stupid crap on Facebook thread. This is for real lawn conversations.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 06, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »
i'd love to do that.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #636 on: August 06, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »

We have a few bushes in our front yard that we haven't clipped or trimmed just to see how big they'd get.  They don't look bad or anything.  I have no idea what they are because they preceded us.

Anyway, for a few weeks this summer, at any given time, we probably had over a dozen bees and a dozen butterflies on these bushes right in front of our front door and dining room windows.  The kids (and me) just liked standing there and watching them through the windows.  Drove the dog nuts, though.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #637 on: August 06, 2015, 11:12:52 AM »
my foundation guy told me a french drain is like $30/foot.  I'm just going to build my own.

He quoted 130', so based on your guy's price, that is about $3900.  I guess he wants to do some more smooth, decorative gravel which will increase the cost but decrease the likelihood that my children will become injured if they fall on it.  Maybe my guy isn't too far off.  We're still going to get another couple of quotes.

My house kind of sits on a slope, so it's about 30' from my foundation.  But it just pools in my backyard along the fence.  It's annoying as hell. Our backyard is big but effectively worthless because it's a mosquito infested swamp land.

French drain is in.  Took them a while to get to it with the wet summer, but the last rock was delivered today.  Got a pretty nice system in place where they connected my sump pump and down spouts into the drain.  Multiple catch basins and a grate to get the biggest amounts in the lowest spot.  They even were able to keep some of the trees and plants that we had put in the area around the dry creek bed.  They also leveled out my yard in a couple of spots and did seed and hay to help with the revitalization. 

We also had them clear out a bunch of crap under our deck (it's was just a 200 sq. ft. mud and weed trap), do some steel edging, weed barrier, and decorative rock.   That looks really nice now, too.

All in all, it was $5900.  But they pretty much redid my entire backyard.

Mowing tonight to clean and tidy everything up, but really happy with how it all turned out.  Can recommend 4T Total Lawn care.  :thumbs:

Not that anyone probably cares, but after the rain yesterday, my yard was damp in some spots, but dry overall.  This project, thus far, was a huge success.  Major, major difference.

My neighbor to the north of me went to the same company and asked for a quote.  If he gets his drainage figured out, it's going to make an even bigger difference.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 06, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »
Cool pan!

Guys, I have a bunch of flowers and bushes in my yard, and guess what, I also have a bunch of bees and butterflies and other insects as well! Yard, flowers, and bushes all look great!

Gonna win 'em all!

The Big Train

« Reply #639 on: August 07, 2015, 06:38:05 AM »
 :emawkid:

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 07, 2015, 09:58:02 AM »
I just removed a bunch of bushes because they were drying out the soil around my foundation which is bad because Texas
emaw

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 07, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »
I thought crabgrass was clumpy-er than that?  I dunno, it looks pretty good if mowed regularly.  Like, its green guys.

So we're saying i actually have entire sections of my yard that are like some sore of crabgrass uni-culture?  Do i need to call science to confirm the amazing all crabgrass yard?

All crabgrass yards don't work because crabgrass is an annual. Just put down per emergent next year and none of it will come back.
Yeah, i realize this.  So now i'm depressed because i am going to need to reseed this fall so i can put down some pre-emergant.   I was talkign with my neighbor and he's interested in splitting a day of verti-slicer rental so i've got that going for me.  Question though, what can i do to help establish new fescue seeds this fall where theres already an established crop of crabgrass?  Plant later in the fall?  Cropp the hell out of the crabgrss before slicing/seeding?

Never tried before, but maybe kill it all now and reseed in like 2-3 weeks?  :dunno:

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Spot spray roundup on the crabgrass. You don't care if you kill a little fescue because you are going to reseed.

Gonna win 'em all!

Anyone got any more suggestions?  Whens a good time to do a fall reseed?  What should I use to clear out my crabgrass?  I was thinking about just cropping the grass down to the dirt but if I need to spray what should I use and how long should I wait to reseed?

For the record... this isn't a small patch that I can spot spray, I'm talking about whole quadrants of the yard.

The light green is crabgrass... there are 3 very old trees on this lot that i'd be nervious about spraying any broad "kill everything" stuff around... like I'm talking about $3k to remove this tree if I kill it, losing a beautiful old tree not withstanding.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 08, 2015, 07:56:45 AM »
the best time for a fall reseed is in the fall

I got a possible illegal immigrant who removed 7 50 ft post oaks for me last week for $1200 if you want his number
emaw

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 08, 2015, 08:09:35 AM »
Spraying roundup on the grass will not kill a tree. New seed could be as planted as early as the next day. I would spray the roundup, wait a week so the grass is dead, then scalp those areas nearly to the ground with your lawnmower. Keep the areas wet for the first 10 days or so (water at least 2 if not 3 times a day. Not to create mud, but just to keep the top of the soil, where the seed is, wet.
Would roundup some time by the end of this month.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Lawn Care
« Reply #644 on: August 08, 2015, 10:33:08 AM »
I have a couple patches turning yellowish. It seems healthy otherwise. Growing super fast. Too much water? Not enough water? I'm cutting at 3 1/2 about every 5 days.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 08, 2015, 10:34:27 AM »
Kill it all and reseed.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 08, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »
I have a couple patches turning yellowish. It seems healthy otherwise. Growing super fast. Too much water? Not enough water? I'm cutting at 3 1/2 about every 5 days.
Probably fungus from the wet.

I need to redo my front flower bed.  Have every greeny type small shrubs.  Not much color.  Faces west so gets very hot.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 08, 2015, 10:44:06 AM »
Can I spray something on the grass or something?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 08, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »
the best time for a fall reseed is in the fall

I got a possible illegal immigrant who removed 7 50 ft post oaks for me last week for $1200 if you want his number

How much do suburban texans hate trees
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 08, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
If you have a JDL store nearby, go buy some Armada and a hose end sprayer. It will take you 30 minutes the first time you do it because you will be bitching at me for telling you to do it. Then, about 30 days later it will take you about 10 minutes to spray it. If you do this a couple of times a year, you will basically eliminate lawn diseases.

Alternate option, go by something at home depot for lawn diseases. It probably won't work as well, but you can do this pretty easily.

If you do the JDL option, let me know and I will PM you some details.