Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 111712 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #600 on: July 31, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »
I like that HerrSonntag has convinced himself that his crabgrass problem is really just mutant bermuda.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 31, 2015, 09:04:43 AM »
I like that HerrSonntag has convinced himself that his crabgrass problem is really just mutant bermuda.

he gave me hope for a moment, but I knew in my heart it was lies.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 31, 2015, 09:07:45 AM »
Beat it up really good with your fists and it will probably die. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 31, 2015, 09:07:54 AM »
I think bermuda is harder to get rid of than crabgrass.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 31, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »

Toby Tobin believes the only way to get rid of Bermuda is to just kill off your entire lawn in the fall. 

crabgrass might be tough to get rid of at this point, but a good pre-emergent in the fall/spring ought to keep it from popping up next year. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 31, 2015, 09:54:03 AM »
Yessir, you've got urself  a bad case of crab grass. Need to get urself some Ferti-lome Weedout With Q.  Get the stuff specially designed for crab grass.

Belvis knows the French Horn and lawn care like a huge beast

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 31, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »

Toby Tobin believes the only way to get rid of Bermuda is to just kill off your entire lawn in the fall. 

crabgrass might be tough to get rid of at this point, but a good pre-emergent in the fall/spring ought to keep it from popping up next year.
unfortunately, killing bermudagrass with roundup doesn't kill all of it. It is very resilient.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
I was thinking it was wooly cupgrass for a bit. Wouldn't make sense to have that much of it in your yard. One other question, do you put out a ton of bird seed?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 31, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
Yessir, you've got urself  a bad case of crab grass. Need to get urself some Ferti-lome Weedout With Q.  Get the stuff specially designed for crab grass.

Belvis knows the French Horn and lawn care like a huge beast

ur damn skippy

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 31, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »
I was thinking it was wooly cupgrass for a bit. Wouldn't make sense to have that much of it in your yard. One other question, do you put out a ton of bird seed?

Gonna win 'em all!

none at all

There is a ton of it.  It is probably over 50-60% of the red areas, some places 90%

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »
Split apply your preemergent next year. I think I covered this 20 pages ago. Will discuss again next year.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #611 on: July 31, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
bought this beast today and now my life is so fantastic

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-185-mph-510-CFM-Gas-Backpack-Blower-RY08420A/203312654

You are a God to me.

How much fun is it to use?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #612 on: July 31, 2015, 01:03:17 PM »
my foundation guy told me a french drain is like $30/foot.  I'm just going to build my own.

He quoted 130', so based on your guy's price, that is about $3900.  I guess he wants to do some more smooth, decorative gravel which will increase the cost but decrease the likelihood that my children will become injured if they fall on it.  Maybe my guy isn't too far off.  We're still going to get another couple of quotes.

My house kind of sits on a slope, so it's about 30' from my foundation.  But it just pools in my backyard along the fence.  It's annoying as hell. Our backyard is big but effectively worthless because it's a mosquito infested swamp land.

French drain is in.  Took them a while to get to it with the wet summer, but the last rock was delivered today.  Got a pretty nice system in place where they connected my sump pump and down spouts into the drain.  Multiple catch basins and a grate to get the biggest amounts in the lowest spot.  They even were able to keep some of the trees and plants that we had put in the area around the dry creek bed.  They also leveled out my yard in a couple of spots and did seed and hay to help with the revitalization. 

We also had them clear out a bunch of crap under our deck (it's was just a 200 sq. ft. mud and weed trap), do some steel edging, weed barrier, and decorative rock.   That looks really nice now, too.

All in all, it was $5900.  But they pretty much redid my entire backyard.

Mowing tonight to clean and tidy everything up, but really happy with how it all turned out.  Can recommend 4T Total Lawn care.  :thumbs:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 31, 2015, 11:19:33 PM »
bought this beast today and now my life is so fantastic

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-185-mph-510-CFM-Gas-Backpack-Blower-RY08420A/203312654

You are a God to me.

How much fun is it to use?

it's amazing. I have a little over half an acre with several dozen oak trees so I have a shitload of use for a blower. compared to the crappy handheld one I had before this thing is night in day. moves a lot more stuff and does it faster and it's easy to use since you've got the engine on your back. I get done in about half the time I used to and then I'm mad because I want to keep pretending to be a cyborg blowing loose debris all over my yard.
emaw

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 02, 2015, 01:21:46 AM »
I thought crabgrass was clumpy-er than that?  I dunno, it looks pretty good if mowed regularly.  Like, its green guys.

So we're saying i actually have entire sections of my yard that are like some sore of crabgrass uni-culture?  Do i need to call science to confirm the amazing all crabgrass yard?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 02, 2015, 06:45:10 PM »
I thought crabgrass was clumpy-er than that?  I dunno, it looks pretty good if mowed regularly.  Like, its green guys.

So we're saying i actually have entire sections of my yard that are like some sore of crabgrass uni-culture?  Do i need to call science to confirm the amazing all crabgrass yard?

All crabgrass yards don't work because crabgrass is an annual. Just put down per emergent next year and none of it will come back.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 03, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »
What is the best time of year to lay St. Augustine sod in Louisiana? And how much is just the right amount of watering once you put it down?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 03, 2015, 08:26:40 PM »

What is the best time of year to lay St. Augustine sod in Louisiana? And how much is just the right amount of watering once you put it down?
call a local. Sorry, I can't help here.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:57 PM »

All crabgrass yards don't work because crabgrass is an annual. Just put down per emergent next year and none of it will come back.
Yeah, i realize this.  So now i'm depressed because i am going to need to reseed this fall so i can put down some pre-emergant.   I was talkign with my neighbor and he's interested in splitting a day of verti-slicer rental so i've got that going for me.  Question though, what can i do to help establish new fescue seeds this fall where theres already an established crop of crabgrass?  Plant later in the fall?  Cropp the hell out of the crabgrss before slicing/seeding?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 03, 2015, 11:23:21 PM »
Never tried before, but maybe kill it all now and reseed in like 2-3 weeks?  :dunno:

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 04, 2015, 02:28:12 AM »
I still haven't mowed the backyard since may

I did this as well and then when I went to mow my mower freaked the eff out. 0 out of 5 stars.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 04, 2015, 05:18:52 AM »
Spot spray roundup on the crabgrass. You don't care if you kill a little fescue because you are going to reseed.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 04, 2015, 09:29:43 AM »
I still haven't mowed the backyard since may

I did this as well and then when I went to mow my mower freaked the eff out. 0 out of 5 stars.

I'll try when it gets down to like 60 degrees
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 05, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »
My next door neighbor just came by and mowed a lazy path around my yard with a John Deere riding mower. He then loaded it back on a trailer and left.  He has a tiny ass yard so he normally has a push mower.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 05, 2015, 07:06:44 PM »
My next door neighbor just came by and mowed a lazy path around my yard with a John Deere riding mower. He then loaded it back on a trailer and left.  He has a tiny ass yard so he normally has a push mower.

I dont dont get it
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best