Author Topic: Job Search Connections - thread  (Read 9791 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Job Search Connections - thread
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2014, 02:53:43 PM »
oh, don't lie. if they don't want to know the truth, they should be smart enough not to ask.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2014, 03:17:11 PM »
That being the case, you shouldn't set up the ruse.  Don't endorse MiL issues before even having said MiL.

Hence the initial aversion to lying. I feel like there is something to be said about garnering and nourishing respect with the ILs.

Back on topic kinda, how soon do those ITK suggest following up with an application? ( I could just google it, but I trust the EMAW communities honest opinions)

I really hope your resume is some sort of nifty infographic thing.  Tell me it is, right?

I went to several conferences before I graduated that said not to do that.  :dunno:  I knew a guy who made a really cool looking infographic resume. . .and he has a job outside the field.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2014, 03:20:27 PM »
When you're in a job interview and the employer asks you to tell them about yourself, make sure you tell them what your hobbies are and what you like to do in your spare time and nothing else. People want to get to know you, after all.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »
This thread is about you and your in laws now, not about finding a job.

Tell your religious father in law that the bible says that bitches need to shut up. (If she says anything to you about shacking up with daughter).

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
That being the case, you shouldn't set up the ruse.  Don't endorse MiL issues before even having said MiL.

Hence the initial aversion to lying. I feel like there is something to be said about garnering and nourishing respect with the ILs.

Back on topic kinda, how soon do those ITK suggest following up with an application? ( I could just google it, but I trust the EMAW communities honest opinions)

I really hope your resume is some sort of nifty infographic thing.  Tell me it is, right?

I went to several conferences before I graduated that said not to do that.  :dunno:  I knew a guy who made a really cool looking infographic resume. . .and he has a job outside the field.

I don't know.  Could always turn in an infographic one along with a boring traditional version just in case the screener isn't bold and daring :dunno:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
make it a graphic of you shaking hands with your new boss but where the bosses head is put a little mirror so they seem themselves shaking your hand and hiring you on the paper

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »
I always used to fold my resume up into some 3D origami thing.  Just like me, the interesting texture intrigues them and after they invest the time to unpack it, they most likely will feel like they have invested too much time in you to not hire you and give it a shot. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »
My favorite question from an interviewer is when they ask me:

"fanning, I like what I hear so far. However, I have a lot of quality resumes i'll be interviewing after you, tell me, what sets you apart from them?

Fanning: "Honestly? I have nothing setting me back from NOT being successful right now. I'm ambitious, 29, and single. The main focus of my life right now is my career and I have nothing holding me back from achieving that. etc."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2014, 03:35:16 PM »

"fanning, I like what I hear so far. However, I have a lot of quality resumes i'll be interviewing after you, tell me, what sets you apart from them?

Fanning: "Honestly? I have nothing setting me back from NOT being successful right now. I'm ambitious, 29, and single. The main focus of my life right now is my career and I have nothing holding me back from achieving that. etc."*

*except kickball umpiring and funday tuesday

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
FWIW, many employers want you to have stuff in your personal life.  It gives an employee a reason to not jump to another company the first time they get frustrated and it also gives them something to trudge through the crap for.

If you have others financially depending upon you, the employer may think that you have something extra driving you.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »

Fanning: "Honestly? I have nothing setting me back from NOT being successful right now. I'm ambitious, 29, and single. The main focus of my life right now is my career and I have nothing holding me back from achieving that. etc."

I prefer the "Because if you don't hire me, one of your competitors will.  3, 6, 9 months from now when I'm kicking your dicks in the dirt, you'll look back to this moment and realize you had an opportunity to hire me, but didn't.  Your only solace will be the hope that I get tired of kicking your dicks in the dirt and decide to move on to something more challenging.  But  I won't, because paybacks a bitch."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »

I prefer the "Because if you don't hire me, one of your competitors will.  3, 6, 9 months from now when I'm kicking your dicks in the dirt, you'll look back to this moment and realize you had an opportunity to hire me, but didn't.  Your only solace will be the hope that I get tired of kicking your dicks in the dirt and decide to move on to something more challenging.  But  I won't, because paybacks a bitch."
:love:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2014, 03:47:13 PM »

that answer is approximately 1 trillion times better than wacky's.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »

omg  :lol:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »

omg  :lol:
Been hired after every interview I've ever had minus one job in my life (Perceptive, hiring freeze the week after, they contacted me 2 months later tho, but already took another job). :gocho: #FanningFuckingBrag

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »
@ydarg2012 check PM.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »
 :cool:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »
I just got hit up today through linkedin about a potential job opportunity in Software Sales-with a University focus. Traveling is involved around the country.  :surprised: It's worth a listen I guess.  :)

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »
I just got hit up today through linkedin about a potential job opportunity in Software Sales-with a University focus. Traveling is involved around the country.  :surprised: It's worth a listen I guess.  :)

Lets be honest, MsWC08 isn't going to let you travel around the country.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »

If I make lots of $ doing it, she could careless, but you're right, she hates my schd now as is.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »
She can't boss you around when you're in another state. It's time to break free, fanning

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2014, 05:15:28 PM »

If I make lots of $ doing it, she could careless, but you're right, she hates my schd now as is.

You make her sound awful

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
Not really. #exaggerating