Author Topic: people talk about atheletes and student loan stuff  (Read 56234 times)

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
Re: people talk about atheletes and student loan stuff
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
Seems like student athletes get a choice.  You take it or you don't.  If they didn't take the scholly, and went to college and had some crappy job, they still couldn't afford the lifestyle the scholarship provides.

This is the point I wanted to make, but I was busy making stupid analogies.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »
another quote:

"Being able to throw your future and scholarship away over pot or raping a girl is freedom too? Which is why they aren't mature enough yet to handle being paid on top of a free education!"

Who said that?

Someone who shouldn't have the privilege of breathing the same air as most of us.
just opened this thread I really hope the rest is a lot if the same

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »
Seems like student athletes get a choice.  You take it or you don't.  If they didn't take the scholly, and went to college and had some crappy job, they still couldn't afford the lifestyle the scholarship provides.

why can't they go to the nfl or nba straight out of high school?

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »
The assumption that S-A's don't have part time jobs is false. Many have summer jobs, with one of the most common being working camps. I can't believe that this hasn't been brought up...

Also, in regard to schools giving all S-A's "free" tuition and books... This is not how that works. Kansas State University does not waive those things, even for full ride athletes. The K-State athletic dept has to pay for them. It's the same way for non-athletes. No one just gets a full ride for free...The money comes from somewhere, whether it be a scholarship fund, federal grants, or whatever.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
I haven't read all of this yet but I imagine MIR kicked everyone's ass

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »
ayo saba worked at blockbuster!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2014, 10:26:23 AM »
The assumption that S-A's don't have part time jobs is false. Many have summer jobs, with one of the most common being working camps. I can't believe that this hasn't been brought up...

It wasn't brought up because no one said or assumed that student athletes don't have part time jobs.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2014, 10:28:11 AM »
I would have paid money to play fb for the Cats.

You say that because you are ignorant to the hours the athletes put in and the sacrifices they have to make.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »

And what lifestyle is that?

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2014, 10:29:29 AM »

The leagues can both make age requirements if they want, they're just mitigating risk, the same way any profit driven business does.  What opportunities are available to those that wouldn't get drafted out of high school, and would their compensation  be more than, less than, or equal to a full ride athletic scholarship?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »

You say that because you are ignorant to the hours the athletes put in and the sacrifices they have to make.

Walkons are basically paying money to play football for the Cats, and several people do it every year. I wouldn't want to do it, but it's not that crazy.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »

It wasn't brought up because no one said or assumed that student athletes don't have part time jobs.

So what? GTFO guy. First of all their scholarship and stipend doesn't cover the full cost of being a college student. Their time commitment is so intensive that they cannot hold jobs, can't do much outside of a 10 hour work study. They are waking up at 6AM on random Thurdsays in July to lift weights. They are studying playbooks, watching film, etc. The time commitment is a very big deal, the game is their job, except they don't get paid.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »

So what? GTFO guy. First of all their scholarship and stipend doesn't cover the full cost of being a college student. Their time commitment is so intensive that they cannot hold jobs, can't do much outside of a 10 hour work study. They are waking up at 6AM on random Thurdsays in July to lift weights. They are studying playbooks, watching film, etc. The time commitment is a very big deal, the game is their job, except they don't get paid.

Fair enough, I did mean in season though. My senior year I made $17,000 working two different jobs, athletes can't do that.

You mentioned the camps, for most athletes they would struggle quite a bit over the summer without them. There aren't many jobs in college towns for women's basketball players that can only work good hours April-September.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »

The leagues can both make age requirements if they want, they're just mitigating risk, the same way any profit driven business does.  What opportunities are available to those that wouldn't get drafted out of high school, and would their compensation  be more than, less than, or equal to a full ride athletic scholarship?

my point is, its bullshit. if they are ready for the nfl or nba let them play. no more of this free farm system bullshit. if a team is willing to take a risk on them, let them.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2014, 10:42:08 AM »

Walkons are basically paying money to play football for the Cats, and several people do it every year. I wouldn't want to do it, but it's not that crazy.

How long would our athletic department remain viable with just athletes who are willing to pay to play sports? Seems like horrible alternative to just compensating people for the time they put in making money for and being the faces of the university.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2014, 10:46:53 AM »

How long would our athletic department remain viable with just athletes who are willing to pay to play sports? Seems like horrible alternative to just compensating people for the time they put in making money for and being the faces of the university.
. That's the problem though how do you fairly compensate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »

The fact that walkons exist seems to be a big counterargument against paying SAs. If full ride players have it so bad and are being mistreated by the NCAA then why do some kids elect to do it for free?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »
A free degree is pretty sweet. I mean, I'll be paying my student loans off for the end of time. I can only imagine having that $700 a month I pay in student loans in my pocket. I understand the debate to be paid, but lots of ppl out there act like they don't already have a sweet deal. Team dinners, goodies, etc. Also, for some, the college is providing a potential stepping stone to be a professional in that sport by TV recognition and more. Go to town tho, MIR.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
people talk about atheletes and student loan stuff
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
Another thing that bothers me is that your scholarship can be revoked. It's basically a one year contract and your school has you by the balls

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »

my point is, its bullshit. if they are ready for the nfl or nba let them play. no more of this free farm system bullshit. if a team is willing to take a risk on them, let them.

Honest question, I don't know anything about it. But why aren't NBA ready bball players going the euroball route for a year? seems like they make decent money over there.   

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
If anyone can track down the unemployment rate of SAs who earned their degree then please share. It's probably an impossible stat to keep, but my guess is that it is less than that of non-SAs and much less than that of people without a degree at all.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2014, 11:02:48 AM »
Another thing that bothers me is that your scholarship can be revoked. It's basically a one year contract and your school has you by the balls

Yeah. Student athletes should be guaranteed their scholarship for at least 4 years, regardless of performance, injury, etc. The school should only be able to take the scholarship back if the athlete quits for non-injury related reasons.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »

. That's the problem though how do you fairly compensate?

Either full cost of attendance or a stipend,  don't care either way. The stipend seems like it's coming sooner rather than later, even the schools are advocating for it now.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »
Seems to me that agreeing to be a scholarship student athlete is a huge risk, at least from the description MIR is giving, which I assume is correct.  You're sacrificing any real shot at a quality education, you're basically doomed to be broke in college, and the odds of going pro are astronomically small. 

So why are there so damn many scholarship athletes across the country?  Are scholarship athletes uninformed suckers when it comes to this stuff?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »

The fact that walkons exist seems to be a big counterargument against paying SAs. If full ride players have it so bad and are being mistreated by the NCAA then why do some kids elect to do it for free?

They elect to do it because they clearly have support coming from somewhere else. You are aware that college, and things you need while in college cost money right?

I'll ask again, do you want our sports teams filled with people who can afford to be walkons? How much money do you think universities would make essentially charging people to watch intramurals? I'm sure advertisers would flock to that.