Author Topic: Lets Talk Skiing  (Read 20923 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Talk Skiing
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2014, 10:24:22 AM »
Working on maybe a march ski trip. Thinking copper.

I'll give you a gnar gnar pow pow report when I'm there. It will probably include "Rad" and "Fresh" and any other words I pick up.

shredding is pretty gnar

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
Working on maybe a march ski trip. Thinking copper.

Us too!
As well as a weekend in a few weeks.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2014, 08:19:02 PM »
Going to Wolf Creek Pass the weekend after FPD and saw the rental place had snowblades for about the same price as a snowboard (cheaper, tho)

I've skied as a JungeSonntag, but not since i was 12: All knuckledragging since.  I've seen people on them and they look pretty fun.  Anyone ever tried them?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2014, 10:35:04 PM »
How did I not see this thread?  I'll be in Breckenridge 2/27-3/2. Will be in town the evening of Saturday, March 1 if anyone wants to catch the KU @ OSU game..

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2014, 03:05:31 AM »
How did I not see this thread?  I'll be in Breckenridge 2/27-3/2. Will be in town the evening of Saturday, March 1 if anyone wants to catch the KU @ OSU game..

ok.  meet me at the top of devils crotch.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »
if you are in summit co. and not skiing a-basin you are doing it wrong

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »
I'll be in Breckenridge 2/27-3/2.

we call it Breck

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
Grew up in northern New York and learned to ski on ice, that has set me up for blacks in Colorado.  I've gotten less aggressive on the hill the last few years, took a spill and twisted my knee on the last day we were there mid-day and quit then.   :cyclist:

We normally ski at Copper (a copper card for five days is $130 or so; passwagon.com or something) and stay on the east side or back of the mountain, hardly ever any lines since the mountain is segregated with its trails. This keeps us away from the n00bs. We used to go out twice during the winter to use the days, now with a toddler, we've been going once.  This year we hope to go in January alone for a long weekend and then take the little guy in March and try to get him on some skis.

Slucat, did you go in January? If so please give me a snow report and use terms like chowder and Gnarly and stuff.

Thanks!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »
Its really good right now.  WP area got over 2 feet of gnarly pow the last few days.  I've been shredding on the reg

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »
anybody ever been to whistler?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2014, 11:36:32 AM »
I'll be in Breckenridge 2/27-3/2.

we call it Breck

I typed 'Breck', iPad autocorrected to Breckenridge.  Looked at it but was too lazy to do anything about it.  But that's Apple products and users for you...

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »
Its really good right now.  WP area got over 2 feet of gnarly pow the last few days.  I've been shredding on the reg

:drool:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »
people that go skiing in colorado  :facepalm:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »

Hey Kim, where do you like to ski?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2014, 10:32:55 PM »

i'll be hitting the slopes in jackson hole bright and early wednesday morning

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »

Never been, what makes it better than CO?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »

My buddy from high school who's been living in Denver for the last 8 years or so swears by jackson hole, wy.

I like slopes on the southern range in CO/NM, less crowded, gets alot of snow.

Anyway, so snowblades: love them? hate them?  indifferent?

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2014, 12:32:09 PM »

My buddy from high school who's been living in Denver for the last 8 years or so swears by jackson hole, wy.

I like slopes on the southern range in CO/NM, less crowded, gets alot of snow.

Anyway, so snowblades: love them? hate them?  indifferent?

no experience on snowblades, but I think they look pretty cool with jeans

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »
Guyz, the gnar gnar pow pow is super deep right now.

Its been snowing all day and we are supposed to get 6-9 more inches over night.

<3 <3 <3

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »
SKI REPORT TIME-

Alright guyz, got back from the ski trip last night and wanted to give all you Ski Bums a breakdown of the awesome gnar gnar pow pow currently blanketing Colorado. It snowed continuously from Thursday through Monday, total of about 18 inches at our house in Frisco and a lot more on the actual mountains. I've been out to Colorado 5 times in the past 4 years and this was by far the best skiing I have ever experienced. None of the runs were iced over at any point and the gnar gnar pow pow came down non stop the entire trip. I had never skied in this much chowder and it took me a while to learn the in's and outs, found myself waist deep in gnar gnar a couple of times. 

Friday, Breck- Least amount of pow pow we saw on the trip but they still had about 4 inches in the previous 24 hours. Didn't get to hit many runs since we kind of skied in a big group and the girls slowed us down. We ditched them in the afternoon and went up to the new blue runs they built above the treeline. Got up to the top and couldn't see crap due to blowing snow, still fun tho.

Saturday, Copper MTN- I had not skied Copper since I was a youngster and I was pretty impressed. They got about 6 inches of snow before we got there and it kept coming down. Took a 2 hour break to pound some beers and watch the game on my phone then tore up some blacks. We named our favorite run(hallelujah) the "Marcus Foster" in honor of his 34 point game.

Sunday, A-Basin- The roads were pretty shitty and it took about 1 hour to get to A basin from Frisco but WOW, it was worth it. FOURTEEN INCHES OF FRESH SOFT BEAUTIFUL GNAR GNAR POW POW FOR US TO SHRED. The visibility was complete crap at the top of the mountain and you couldn't see where you were going or what the snow looked like in front of you but it didn't matter because if you fell the sweet sweet pow pow would catch you(That's what I told myself, never fell though :cool:) . There was absolutely no one on the back of the mountain(Montezuma bowl) but I only did a couple of runs before heading back to the lower mountain due to the poor visibility. The lines at the bottom were super short in the afternoon and I spent most of the day doing my best Darren Sproles impression through the trees.

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »
I just got a voicemail from a couple of my pals saying that they found my drivers license in the snow at the bottom of a lift in Breck. the crazy thing is that I haven't been to breck in 3 weeks!!!!! I had it last weekend at keystone and I think I had it at Abasin on sunday. Now I am sitting at home trying to think of where I can go to drink and not get carded  :runaway: :runaway:

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2014, 11:20:25 PM »
Question for any Keystone frequenters. I just got back from the mountain Friday (went for Spring Break) and it was ridiculously packed. I realized it would be busy but I did not anticipate the legions of toddlers riding down the green/blue runs in large packs (ski schools) which made it very difficult for me to teach myself to snowboard on said runs. I was afraid of losing control and colliding with one of them which would have probably resulted in their death. I only attempted boarding for a day and a half because of this, and I would like to try again. Is there a good time in the fall/winter season that is less crowded? I imagine it'd be bad around New Years but I have a hard time picturing it worse than it was this last week. TIA!

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2014, 12:44:12 AM »
Any ski area within 30 minutes of i70 in colorado is always super busy like that.  I just got back from a trip to Wold Creek and it was awesome... the front range green/blues had some traffic but not alot, never waited for more than a minute or two for a lift, but the back range was like our own private slopes.

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2014, 01:01:21 AM »
I have a preference for Keystone/Breck/Copper because a friend of mine has a very nice timeshare lodge (hot-tub included) right next to Keystone resort. However if I am ever looking for another area I will check out Wolf (I assume that's what you meant) Creek.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »
Question for any Keystone frequenters. I just got back from the mountain Friday (went for Spring Break) and it was ridiculously packed. I realized it would be busy but I did not anticipate the legions of toddlers riding down the green/blue runs in large packs (ski schools) which made it very difficult for me to teach myself to snowboard on said runs. I was afraid of losing control and colliding with one of them which would have probably resulted in their death. I only attempted boarding for a day and a half because of this, and I would like to try again. Is there a good time in the fall/winter season that is less crowded? I imagine it'd be bad around New Years but I have a hard time picturing it worse than it was this last week. TIA!

Early in the season, pre-Christmas time is pretty quiet.  May not have a lot of runs open tho.  Feb is pretty quiet with the exception of Pres day weekend.

If you just want to learn and not do anything above a green, Ski Granby Ranch is usually really quiet and cheap.  Not very exciting by any means but fine for very beginner things and not crowded.  Could do a couple days there and then hit Winter Park about 30 minutes away.