Author Topic: Lets Talk Skiing  (Read 20818 times)

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Talk Skiing
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
Renting a condo in frisco for the winter this year.  :gocho: Really looking forward to getting a bit more snow to thin out these crowds though. I had a 30 minute wait in Keystone before my last run on saturday, and left by noon from breck on sunday.

What are everyones favorite binge spots in the mountains? what do you like to binge on?

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2013, 08:12:24 PM »
Back on Topic

I've never skied anywhere besides Colorado. My buddy who lives in Salt Lake City keeps talking about how awesome the snow is there and how SLC gets "better snow" than the Colorado resorts.

Is this true? What places outside of Colorado have you skied? Better worse than your standard Keystone/Breck/Abasin ski experience?

We used to do SLC growing up instead of CO because the little bro used to get sick from the altitude.  It's much more convenient to ski in SLC compared to CO if you are flying. The snow is really nice and the places right around Park City are pretty darn nice. Solitude used to be our favorite spot.

Favorite place to ski ever was Tahoe. Skied Heavenly just a couple months after Bono died there.  Saw the tree he KO'd on.  Some great views and lots to do around town.

First time in steamboat last year. Pretty cool. The hot spring is pretty badass.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »
Renting a condo in frisco for the winter this year.  :gocho: Really looking forward to getting a bit more snow to thin out these crowds though. I had a 30 minute wait in Keystone before my last run on saturday, and left by noon from breck on sunday.

What are everyones favorite binge spots in the mountains? what do you like to binge on?

I usually wear a backpack when I ski and manage to stow away around 6 beers(Pale Ales) along with extra gloves/lunch/etc. After a couple of runs(Around 10am) I start bing'n away and put the day on cruise control. Love to binge on long lifts or gondola's but the best place to binge in the mountains is a hot tub after a long day of skiing. 

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »

I usually wear a backpack when I ski and manage to stow away around 6 beers(Pale Ales) along with extra gloves/lunch/etc. After a couple of runs(Around 10am) I start bing'n away and put the day on cruise control. Love to binge on long lifts or gondola's but the best place to binge in the mountains is a hot tub after a long day of skiing.
I usually wear a camelpak of water underneath my coat and sip on that, hyrdration on the mountain is very important you guise.

NAAAAAHHH!  Flask, Hot Damn 100, if its good enough for cold days in the Bill its good enough for the slopes.

p.s-i usually do both, you really can get dehydrated easily with all the sweating and the dry air.  Under the coat so it doesn't freeze and you aren't drinking ice cold water in an already cold environment

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2013, 09:18:42 PM »

I like your style. Always love when a bro carries a backpack ( so I don't have to) and have it stocked with screw top cans.  One thing I hate about breck is that you can't go out to the lots to grill some brats, crush some brew-dogs, and listen to shitty reggae at lunch time. Hot tubbing is great, but you have to be careful not to stay in for too long and end the binge prematurely.

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »

I usually wear a camelpak of water underneath my coat and sip on that, hyrdration on the mountain is very important you guise.

NAAAAAHHH!  Flask, Hot Damn 100, if its good enough for cold days in the Bill its good enough for the slopes.

p.s-i usually do both, you really can get dehydrated easily with all the sweating and the dry air.  Under the coat so it doesn't freeze and you aren't drinking ice cold water in an already cold environment

I agree on the hot damn, just a perfect drink in the cold weather. I did a strikeout with fireball on the gondola at keystone with some random park rats on Saturday morning.  :dubious:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »

I agree on the hot damn, just a perfect drink in the cold weather. I did a strikeout with fireball on the gondola at keystone with some random park rats on Saturday morning.  :dubious:
Fireball is also top notch for the slopes

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
Back on Topic

I've never skied anywhere besides Colorado. My buddy who lives in Salt Lake City keeps talking about how awesome the snow is there and how SLC gets "better snow" than the Colorado resorts.

Is this true? What places outside of Colorado have you skied? Better worse than your standard Keystone/Breck/Abasin ski experience?

We used to do SLC growing up instead of CO because the little bro used to get sick from the altitude.  It's much more convenient to ski in SLC compared to CO if you are flying. The snow is really nice and the places right around Park City are pretty darn nice. Solitude used to be our favorite spot.

Favorite place to ski ever was Tahoe. Skied Heavenly just a couple months after Bono died there.  Saw the tree he KO'd on.  Some great views and lots to do around town.

First time in steamboat last year. Pretty cool. The hot spring is pretty badass.

Really want to ski tahoe sometime, would love to hit the slopes for a couple of hours then have a nightcap at a blackjack table.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »
Grew up skiing Breck and Keystone.  We had a friend who let us use their ski-in/ski-out condo just above the entrance to Breck's Quicksilver lift.  That was the best because I'd just turn my skis down hill on the blue/easy blacks of peaks 9 & 10.  We'd also night ski at Keystone and sometimes go over there for the day.  Whenever we'd do that I'd spend all day on the back side.  I also really enjoyed at night when the run to gondola would ice over.  I need to go again sometime.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2013, 10:36:23 PM »
love to ski.  we used to drive but started flying and renting a car.  southwest regularly has KC-Denver for $100-150 RT if you wait for their sales.

last year did keystone two days (stayed in the village) and went to vail for a day.  vail was pretty great.

My friends did this one year and got some shitty rental car with no tread on their tires, ended up sliding all over I-70.

I don't really mind the drive and appreciate having our own vehicle out in the mountains.

it sounds like your friends are either poor or very bad drivers

Or dumbasses for not checking the tread on the tires.

GFA, have you skied anywhere besides Colorado?

I have not but plan on Utah soon. my fiancée won't shut up about how great Utah snow is. I'm not sure what makes the snow better but I plan on finding out.
emaw

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 01:19:20 AM »
hey ben ji, let's go to tahoe over winter break :D
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
Oh man, are we telling skiing stories?  One time when I was like 5 we were glacier skiing in the Austrian Alps.  My parents just kinda let me do my thing and I'd just keep pounding the same run until they got me to go somewhere else.  Well one time I came upon my mom who was slaloming back and forth and I stopped and told her she was doing it wrong, that if you just point both ski straight downhill and go into a tuck you go much faster.   :Woohoo:  That's how I always did it but the whole not weighing anything meant I never went that fast. 

Later that night we were eating dinner in this big banquet hall thing with lots of other people, and a waiter/server guy came and put a little medal on my chest.  My mom told me they had been watching me ski on the radar and I earned a medal.   :gocho:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2013, 08:59:41 AM »
Oh man, are we telling skiing stories?  One time when I was like 5 we were glacier skiing in the Austrian Alps.  My parents just kinda let me do my thing and I'd just keep pounding the same run until they got me to go somewhere else.  Well one time I came upon my mom who was slaloming back and forth and I stopped and told her she was doing it wrong, that if you just point both ski straight downhill and go into a tuck you go much faster.   :Woohoo:  That's how I always did it but the whole not weighing anything meant I never went that fast. 

Later that night we were eating dinner in this big banquet hall thing with lots of other people, and a waiter/server guy came and put a little medal on my chest.  My mom told me they had been watching me ski on the radar and I earned a medal.   :gocho:

Great story emo!

I don't remember many skiing stories from when I was a young tike but I know I HAD A BLAST.

I Like to LOL at my friends who just learned how to ski a couple years ago..one guy does the whole "Pizza! Pie! Pizza! Pie!" routine down the entire mountain...

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
Back on Topic

East coast skiing is much different than CO skiing/big resorts; more mom and pop places, no big resort/lounges/ect.  Park and ski. I was pretty shocked when I skied CO for the first time in my early 20's, too much stuff all over, places out in CO is what makes skiing an elitist (expensive) sport.  No matter cause I'm  :kstategrad:

Skied-Big Tupper, Titus Mtn, Dry Hill, Turin, Whiteface all in NY; Killington, VT; Copper, Keystone, Crested Butte CO

THE BEST: Jay Peak Vermont.
end thread/

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
Back on Topic

East coast skiing is much different than CO skiing/big resorts; more mom and pop places, no big resort/lounges/ect.  Park and ski. I was pretty shocked when I skied CO for the first time in my early 20's, too much stuff all over, places out in CO is what makes skiing an elitist (expensive) sport.  No matter cause I'm  :kstategrad:

Skied-Big Tupper, Titus Mtn, Dry Hill, Turin, Whiteface all in NY; Killington, VT; Copper, Keystone, Crested Butte CO

end thread/

I never really got this. Certainly there are some ritzy ski area's but your standard breck/keystone trip is pretty cheap if you go in a group

Lift tickets for 3 days -$275
Lodging- $162 per person last time for 4 nights(6 people in a 2 bedroom condo).
Ski Rental- $80 for 3 days
Gas from KC to CO- $75 per person.
Add $150 for food and BOOZE

That's $742 for a 4 night vacation  :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »
Back on Topic

end thread/

I never really got this. Certainly there are some ritzy ski area's but your standard breck/keystone trip is pretty cheap if you go in a group

Every vacation is cheap when you're single, tripling up on bedrooms, and eating Burger King and Natty Light for every meal.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »
Back on Topic

end thread/

Every vacation is cheap when you're single, tripling up on bedrooms, and eating Burger King and Natty Light for every meal.

So?  Every vacation is expensive if you're by yourself in a 4 star hotel, foodie'ing around and drinking 50 year old scotch.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:18 AM »
Back on Topic

end thread/

So?  Every vacation is expensive if you're by yourself in a 4 star hotel, foodie'ing around and drinking 50 year old scotch.

So skiing as a vacation activity is more expensive than most, which is why it has the reputation that somehow confuses ben ji. context, people.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
Back on Topic

end thread/

So skiing as a vacation activity is more expensive than most, which is why it has the reputation that somehow confuses ben ji. context, people.

I don't know.  We probably have different ideas/expectations on what vacations are, though. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
Back on Topic

end thread/

I just wanted my buds at gE to know that this reputation is false, no need for Michigancat to go all rusty.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »
Can you name a sport more elitist or expensive? I guess you've got golf? Maybe?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »

formula 1

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »

formula 1

golf

horse racing or anything with horses really

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
Lots of hunting and fishing can be elitist and ridiculously expensive.  I've spent $450/day just for a guide and that was doing it the cheap way.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »

no, it's pretty great.