Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 54818 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #400 on: October 08, 2013, 02:32:45 PM »
company picnic cancelled because of the shutdown. (seriously.) Thanks, Republicans. :frown:

Well, the House did send a bill to the senate to keep the parks open, so this one is on them.

LOL, this talking point is so hilarious

It was a clean bill, not tied to anything.

Why not craft a bill to ensure WIC is funded instead?

Isn't WIC still funded, anyway?

Through the end of the month.

http://www.komonews.com/news/health/WIC-receives-30-more-days-of-funding-during-government-shutdown-226377271.html

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 08, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
company picnic cancelled because of the shutdown. (seriously.) Thanks, Republicans. :frown:

Well, the House did send a bill to the senate to keep the parks open, so this one is on them.

Isn't WIC still funded, anyway?

Through the end of the month.

Surely this crap won't last that long.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 08, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »

Nice diversion,

If the senate or Obama asked for it and said they would sign, I'm 100% sure they would.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 08, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »
Just a reminder

Quote from: Obama’s 2006 Senate speech on the debt limit

“Mr. President, I rise today to talk about America’s debt problem. The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills.”

“It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our government’s reckless fiscal policies. Over the past five years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion. That is  ‘‘trillion’’ with a ‘‘T.’’ That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers.”

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #404 on: October 08, 2013, 03:31:48 PM »
Just a reminder

“Mr. President, I rise today to talk about America’s debt problem. The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills.”

“It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our government’s reckless fiscal policies. Over the past five years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion. That is  ‘‘trillion’’ with a ‘‘T.’’ That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers.”

How many fights did we have over the debt ceiling, though?

Stumping and getting on a soap box to pander to your base is one thing, but actually being dumb enough to go through with it is another.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 08, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »
Just a reminder

Stumping and getting on a soap box to pander to your base is one thing, but actually being dumb enough to go through with it is another.

This has been going on for a long time. A lot of good laws have been passed and bad laws repealed this way. Obama has to negotiate in the end.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 08, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »
The thing about compromise and negotiation is that it requires both sides to actually give up something that they want. There doesn't need to be a compromise because both the republicans and democrats want to raise the debt ceiling. Hell, there are enough republican votes to reopen the government if Boehner would just let them vote.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 08, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »
I want to make sure that I get this boiled down as simply as possible...

Some believe (i.e. CNN) that there are enough votes out there to pass this thing if we put it on the floor today.  However, Boehner says that there aren't enough votes, so he's not even going to put it on the floor unless the President is willing to negotiate.  Boehner is most likely unwilling to put it on the floor knowing that it probably would pass (because there are at least 18 Republicans willing to hop the aisle to put an end to this today), and if it did, it would make him and the rest of the House Republicans look stupid.

So, Boehner goes out there yesterday and says that the President is unwilling to negotiate.  Once he does, he'll put whatever the negotiate out on the floor.  I presume the logic, based on the McConnell/Paul soundbyte, is that they don't want to look like they got nothing out of all of this mess, so he'll press hard to get something.

The President goes out there today and says that if they put the bill on the floor today, and it fails, he'll negotiate.

So, ball seems to be in Boehner's court? 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 08, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »
Just a reminder

This has been going on for a long time. A lot of good laws have been passed and bad laws repealed this way. Obama has to negotiate in the end.

If Boehner put the bill on the floor, and it didn't pass, then there'd be obvious incentive to negotiate.  He could point back to Democrats and say, "See?"

But he won't even do that.  I think he's legitimately afraid 17 Republicans would cross the line.  CNN says there's 18.  Whether or not that's true, I don't know.  But I'm guessing it would be close.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 08, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
Harry Reid has been doing the same thing guys. It's up to the president in the end. Harry will do whatever the pres wants.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 08, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »
Harry Reid hasn't been saying "raise taxes on rich people or else we'll destroy the world economy," though. Also Obama is the President, so he can veto at his prerogative. You DO realize there's a difference between controlling this branch of government and not controlling it, right?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 08, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »
When the house finally passes a clean resolution, it will be a shining example of an absolutely perfect compromise. Both sides will get something that they want, which is the government up and running, while not having to take anything that they don't want.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 08, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »
Harry Reid has been doing the same thing guys. It's up to the president in the end. Harry will do whatever the pres wants.

Reid is saying that he'll simply shoot down what the House sends if they take shots at further cuts and defunding Obamacare.

Boehner is saying that he won't even start the process until he knows he's going to get what he wants.

So, he's using his power to withhold legislation as a negotiation tactic.  Which, fine, you can do, but it's very unattractive, and indicative of why you have a strong number of people who disapprove of House Republicans.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 08, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »

Reid is saying that he'll simply shoot down what the House sends if they take shots at further cuts and defunding Obamacare.

Boehner is saying that he won't even start the process until he knows he's going to get what he wants.

So, he's using his power to withhold legislation as a negotiation tactic.  Which, fine, you can do, but it's very unattractive, and indicative of why you have a strong number of people who disapprove of House Republicans.

Pretty sure the last bill Reid didn't hold a vote on had two points. One, that healthcare for congress not be taxpayer subsidized, and that they delay for one year the mandate for individuals as they did for business. Not that big a deal. I don't think that was too much to ask to keep the gov running.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 08, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »
The republicans are in no position to make demands, though. They already shut down the government over their Obamabutthurt. The only card they have left to play is to let the nation default on its debts, and that's going to make them look like even bigger losers.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 08, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »
The republicans are in no position to make demands, though. They already shut down the government over their Obamabutthurt. The only card they have left to play is to let the nation default on its debts, and that's going to make them look like even bigger losers.

'cept the nation won't default on it's debts. We've been over this. Stop spreading the disinformation.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 08, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »
Pretty sure the last bill Reid didn't hold a vote on had two points. One, that healthcare for congress not be taxpayer subsidized

Good grief, I hope Repbulicans have learned to be more diligent the next time they add smartass amendments to bills.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 08, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
House Speaker John Boehner, the leading GOP voice in the impasse, quickly rejected Obama's comments as nothing new.

"What the president said today was if there's unconditional surrender by Republicans, he'll sit down and talk to us," Boehner told reporters. "That's not the way our government works."

lol at the thought of someone in congress informing someone else of the proper way for the govt should function.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 08, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »
I want to make sure that I get this boiled down as simply as possible...

i think the main reason boehner is trying to avoid a vote for as long as possible is to try and hold the tea party within the republican party.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 08, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »
If you don't spend more than we take in, you don't have to raise the debt ceiling, and you don't have to make compromises you don't want to make.  :dunno: seems simple to me
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: October 08, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »
If spending buys votes, maybe buy less votes
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 08, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »
If you don't spend more than we take in, you don't have to raise the debt ceiling, and you don't have to make compromises you don't want to make.  :dunno: seems simple to me

it's exactly like running a household.  except without mortgages and credit cards.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 08, 2013, 09:09:24 PM »

it's exactly like running a household.  except without mortgages and credit cards.

I just printed up some bonds to sell to my neighbors because I was a little short on my mortgage payment this month. When it's time to pay interest on those I'll just print more. :driving:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 08, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »
well, you should have taxed him.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 08, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
NPS has rangers and police running 'round the clock patrols to keep people out of the Grand Canyon. It's also a good excuse to further divert border patrol from doing their job.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.