Author Topic: Time to raise the minimum wage again...  (Read 19095 times)

Offline husserl

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Time to raise the minimum wage again...
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:33 AM »
Man, federal programs don't pay crap. Why does Obama hate poor kids?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
Min wage at that level would obliterate fast food.

Two birds with one stone? Ideally, everyone except for the ruling caste should be receiving their free rations from the government anyway.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »

Two birds with one stone? Ideally, everyone except for the ruling caste should be receiving their free rations from the government anyway.

I know your joking in a Pit kind of way, but, yes, making something that contributes to the coming health care crisis less available could be a good thing.

Also, free market will find a way.  Something will fill it's place.   Could be the return of ppl actually making their own food and controlling how much they make and what they use to make it though.

Don't get me wrong, the min wage idea is a bad one.  I am just intrigued with what change(not welfare related) that it might kick off.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »
The migrant farmer picking organic produce for slave wages suddenly making $15 an hour would cause a cataclismic series of shreeks at the whole foods registers loud enough to split the earth in two.

This would be followed with populist screams for congress to investigate the ag industry for exhobinent profiteering, and numerous speeches to that effect by b.o.

Migrant workers earning $15 an hour would be great.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »

fast food is already the working class rations (as basically nothing is cheaper). the ruling caste sure doesn't need to go there.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
I can't think of a single adverse consequence associated with a 16 year old high schooler making $15 an hour sorting books at the public library or blowing the whistle at people running buy the pool, let alone flipping burgers at the poors restaurant of choice McDs.

:D

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2013, 11:12:21 AM »
The migrant farmer picking organic produce for slave wages suddenly making $15 an hour would cause a cataclismic series of shreeks at the whole foods registers loud enough to split the earth in two.

This would be followed with populist screams for congress to investigate the ag industry for exhobinent profiteering, and numerous speeches to that effect by b.o.

You don't need to work to make that much.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »

You have to have a lot of kids, though, and that would suck.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »

That doesn't seem to be an issue for migrant workers.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2013, 11:58:38 AM »

Well, they come and work their asses off, so I guess that blows your theory about people not working because the government pays them not to right out of the water.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »

Well, they come and work their asses off, so I guess that blows your theory about people not working because the government pays them not to right out of the water.

That's old school. Things have changed in the last few years.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2013, 01:09:40 PM »
interesting topic, Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) thread.

i'm glad i brought this to everyone's attention.  the level of discourse has improved dramatically, good job everyone.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »

I know your joking in a Pit kind of way, but, yes, making something that contributes to the coming health care crisis less available could be a good thing.

Also, free market will find a way.  Something will fill it's place.   Could be the return of ppl actually making their own food and controlling how much they make and what they use to make it though.

Don't get me wrong, the min wage idea is a bad one.  I am just intrigued with what change(not welfare related) that it might kick off.

Well, Ok, it's intriguing, kind of like how I find The Walking Dead intriguing.

Higher minimum wage will creep its way into all kinds of prices for food - not just fast food. And advocating for more government regulation, and then making the excuse that "the free market will find a way" to cope with the regulation (I think that's what you're saying?) is kinda dumb. No offense, though. How 'bout we just the "free market" be free-er?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »
Yeah, I know everything will adjust up.  That said, I don't think that the avg person's thinking and concept of individual product's values could fully adjust up equally.

I mean, no rough ridin' way I am paying $5 for a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »

Are undocumented immigrants eligible for welfare?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »

I really don't know. I don't think they should be, but they might be. :dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »

neither legal* nor illegal** immigrants are eligible for federal benefits.***  states can do what they want with state funds.

* - for five years
** - ever
*** - there's some wiggle room where states can decide if they want to give state-administered, federally funded benefits to legal immigrant children and pregnant women.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2013, 03:54:43 PM »
Yeah, I know everything will adjust up.  That said, I don't think that the avg person's thinking and concept of individual product's values could fully adjust up equally.

I mean, no rough ridin' way I am paying $5 for a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger.

most countries in the world pay a considerably higher % of their income for food, including fast food.  they still eat, still eat fast food.

also, i've seen a lot estimates on the impact of $15/hour on fast food prices.  high end estimates are 20% increase, low end is no increase, but pressure on corporate/franchisee profits and increased automation replacing a lot of labor.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »

When he said "migrant workers" I assumed he meant legal since he didn't state otherwise.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
Undocumented immigrant is a misnomer for illegal alien. 
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2013, 11:25:09 AM »
What do you guys think would happen if the minimum wage for US citizens stayed at $7.50 or whatever it is and the minimum wage for migrant workers became $12? Do you think US citizens would be willing and able to undercut the migrant labor or do you think that we would just see food prices go up? I think we would see the latter.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
:dance:

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2013, 07:04:14 PM »
Economics in one lesson

Here's a free book for some of you guys... Might enjoy.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »
http://mediamatters.org/mobile/research/2013/02/15/the-minimum-wage-myths-amp-facts/192692

to recap, when the price of something goes up, people buy more of it. 

I don't know why people who want a $15 minimum wage hate poor people so much. have you ever tried to support a family and buy a bmw* on $15/hour? minimum wage should be at least $80$90/hour which would generate tons of extra consumer spending and jobs.

just my  :th_twocents:

*and/or F-250
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps, etc.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Time to raise the minimum wage again...
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
This issue is very real.  The minimum wage is so low that there's more incentive not to work than there is to work for minimum wage.  Low skilled workers should be able to work full-time and still live semi-uncomfortably.

FYP

Yeah, I don't think you're supposed to live comfortably on minimum wage.