Author Topic: Time to raise the minimum wage again...  (Read 18534 times)

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Time to raise the minimum wage again...
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
This issue is very real.  The minimum wage is so low that there's more incentive not to work than there is to work for minimum wage.  Low skilled workers should be able to work full-time and still live comfortably, but that's not the case anymore.  I actually kinda like Mitt Romney's idea to tie minimum wage to inflation.  At least that way it's factored into the cost of living.

If we are talking about incentive this has as much to do with the federal and state assistance as it does with min wage.

That's the point... welfare and government assistance are creating a wage well above the minimum wage.  There's no incentive to get a job if you're a low skilled worker who can only get hired at firms that pay minimum wage.

Guys, this probably doesn't need to be repeated, but Beems is not a sock, and not a troll. He actually believes this stuff. The problem isn't that welfare is too high... it's that the minimum wage is too low.  :lol:

It's a combination of both.  Welfare is too high and minimum wage is too low.  Nice straw man attempt, though.

The two are not mutually exclusive

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Serious question, is the Daily Caller some time of right-wing website that only extremists like K-S-U Wildcats go to to support fake arguments?

The Hawaii Reporter claims Hawaiians make $36K on welfare. 

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/welfare-pays-better-than-work-study-finds-36000-a-year-in-hawaii/123

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
Serious question, is the Daily Caller some time of right-wing website that only extremists like K-S-U Wildcats go to to support fake arguments?

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/welfare-pays-better-than-work-study-finds-36000-a-year-in-hawaii/123

Disregard the modtards post above. It appears to be a very old article that was republished. K-S-U Extremist could be right.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »
This issue is very real.  The minimum wage is so low that there's more incentive not to work than there is to work for minimum wage.  Low skilled workers should be able to work full-time and still live comfortably, but that's not the case anymore.  I actually kinda like Mitt Romney's idea to tie minimum wage to inflation.  At least that way it's factored into the cost of living.

If we are talking about incentive this has as much to do with the federal and state assistance as it does with min wage.

That's the point... welfare and government assistance are creating a wage well above the minimum wage.  There's no incentive to get a job if you're a low skilled worker who can only get hired at firms that pay minimum wage.

Guys, this probably doesn't need to be repeated, but Beems is not a sock, and not a troll. He actually believes this stuff. The problem isn't that welfare is too high... it's that the minimum wage is too low.  :lol:

It's a combination of both.  Welfare is too high and minimum wage is too low.  Nice straw man attempt, though.

The two are not mutually exclusive

I never claimed, nor implied, that the two were mutually exclusive.  Wages and social welfare typically have an inverse relationship.  As average nominal wages increase, social welfare decreases, and vice versa. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »

Modtard, the radio in KC said that this study, that was pub'ed in the Pro-K-S-U-Wildcat mainstream drive-by crazy-right-wing evangelical media is from a Libertarian think tank named The Cato Institute.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »
free health care for everyone, pls

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »
free health care for everyone, pls

Embarrassing how we are 3rd world on that issue.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »
Free everything please!!!!!!  I'm tired of working.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »

Or, instead of our taxes paying for thousands of nukes we will never use and bombing the crap out of cave-dwellers on the other side of the globe, we could spend our taxes on Americans and stop treating healthcare like it's a special privilege.  It's possible to go bankrupt as a result of medical issues even if you have health insurance - so much for the "Only the lazy unemployed bums want and would benefit from universal healthcare" talking point.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »

Or, instead of our taxes paying for thousands of nukes we will never use and bombing the crap out of cave-dwellers on the other side of the globe, we could spend our taxes on Americans and stop treating healthcare like it's a special privilege.  It's possible to go bankrupt as a result of medical issues even if you have health insurance - so much for the "Only the lazy unemployed bums want and would benefit from universal healthcare" talking point.

That sounds like Utopia, Shacks. Why can't we do that AND not have to work. Imagine everyone sitting around thinking of ways to make mother gaia happy so she will provide without the mind numbing daily grind of being "productive" (lol suckers).

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 05:33:49 PM »
Why don't we raise min wage reasonably, and lower assistance to a reasonable level with stricter restrictions/qualifications and add confirmation processes to the system?

You know, solve the problem rather than altering something completely unrelated, in our defenses, to provide more money to a system that will still remain broken even after such a change.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Why don't we raise min wage reasonably, and lower assistance to a reasonable level with stricter restrictions/qualifications and add confirmation processes to the system?

You know, solve the problem rather than altering something completely unrelated, in our defenses, to provide more money to a system that will still remain broken even after such a change.

This will NEVER happen. Its racist and you know it. Next you'll want ID to vote.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »
Free health care means no one will work?  :confused:

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »

No, but I want everything to be free so why should I?

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »

Only the suckers that work will pay for it. I'm going to Hawaii and get free healthcare and $15 an hour to hang at the beach with my choom gang. :bigtoke:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »
We should privatize roads and schools before even more people hit easy street!  :ohno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »

what things should unemployed people not be entitled to? Like, would you have a problem with the fire department putting out a fire in an unemployed person's home?

Offline mortons toe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 07:47:53 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 08:10:58 PM »
Raising the minimum wage is the dumbest of the populist talking/policy points.

The minimum quality of life "social safety net" talking point is probably the most dishonest, disingenuous and inherently immoral populist talking point.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »
interesting topic, Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) thread.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »

what things should unemployed people not be entitled to? Like, would you have a problem with the fire department putting out a fire in an unemployed person's home?

I don't have a problem with providing non-fraudulent unemployment, welfare, and disability payments, but only to the point that it becomes more desirable to not work. This is why there are jobs that Americans won't do.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 10:00:11 PM »

I don't have a problem with providing non-fraudulent unemployment, welfare, and disability payments, but only to the point that it becomes more desirable to not work. This is why there are jobs that Americans won't do.

There has never been a point in history that there weren't jobs Americans wouldn't do.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »
if any of you had bothered to read the study, or and knew anything at all about the programs being discussed, you'd realize that the primary activities being incentivized are having children and not getting married, rather than not working.

also lol @ the media for their coverage of the cato press release.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »
I think there are a lot of incentives for getting married, too, sys, but I could be wrong I guess.