Author Topic: Time to raise the minimum wage again...  (Read 19113 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Time to raise the minimum wage again...
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:22:29 AM »
http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/20/study-welfare-pays-more-than-work-in-most-states/

Looking for a good paying job? Well, look no further.

No, really, stop looking. In 35 states, welfare benefits pay more than a minimum wage job, according to a new study by the libertarian Cato Institute, and in 13 states welfare pays more than $15 per hour.

“One of the single best ways to climb out of poverty is taking a job, but as long as welfare provides a better standard of living than an entry-level job, recipients will continue to choose it over work,” said Michael Tanner, senior policy analyst and co-author of the study.

The study is an updated version of one Tanner put out in 1995 that estimated the full value of welfare benefits packages across the states. The 1995 study found that such tax-free welfare benefits greatly exceeded the poverty level and “their dollar value was greater than the amount of take-home income a worker would receive from an entry-level job.”

Despite efforts to curb welfare spending, many welfare programs and benefits have continued to outpace the income that many workers can receive for working an entry-level job, which disincentivizes work, according to the study.

“The current welfare system provides such a high level of benefits that it acts as a disincentive for work,” reads the study. “Welfare currently pays more than a minimum-wage job in 35 states, even after accounting for the Earned Income Tax Credit, and in 13 states it pays more than $15 per hour.”

According to the study, the federal government funds 126 separate programs designed to support low-income earners. Seventy-two of these programs provide cash or in-kind benefits to recipients. This is on top of additional welfare programs operated by state and local governments.

Welfare recipients in Hawaii get the most benefits, according to Tanner, at $29.13 per hour — or $60,590 pre-tax income annually. However, the state’s minimum wage is only $7.25 per hour, according to the Labor Department. Hawaiians on welfare also earn 167 percent of the median salary in the state, which is only $36,275.

The District of Columbia, Massachusetts and Connecticut have the next more generous welfare benefits.

D.C. welfare recipients can earn $24.43 per hour. In Massachusetts they can get $24.30 per hour. In Connecticut welfare recipients can receive $21.33 per hour.

“If Congress and state legislatures are serious about reducing welfare dependence and rewarding work, they should consider strengthening welfare work requirements, removing exemptions, and narrowing the definition of work,” says the study.

Damn - maybe I ought to take a closer look at Hawaii.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Time to raise the minimum wage again...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »
agreed on raising min. wage

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »

Me too.

K-S-U has made an excellent argument for reducing welfare by increasing the minimum wage.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:05:11 AM »

Me too.

K-S-U has made an excellent argument for reducing welfare by increasing the minimum wage.

Shut up, libtards.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:56 AM »

Me too.

Shut up, modtards.

FYP

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »
I totally agree we should raise keep raising the minimum wage. Those greedy businesses can afford it. The idea that they'll just hire less or pass the cost along to customers is a stupid myth.

I mean, it's either raise the minimum wage or reduce welfare, and that would hurt the children. Why do evil conservatives want to hurt the children? Monsters.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »
$15 is dumb. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:41:39 AM »

Me too.

Shut up, modtards.

FYP

nice work moderate friend.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
I totally agree we should raise keep raising the minimum wage. Those greedy businesses can afford it. The idea that they'll just hire less or pass the cost along to customers is a stupid myth.

I mean, it's either raise the minimum wage or reduce welfare, and that would hurt the children. Why do evil conservatives want to hurt the children? Monsters.

“At Costco, we know that paying employees good wages makes good sense for business,” Jelinik said in a statement last week. “Instead of minimizing wages, we know it’s a lot more profitable in the long term to minimize employee turnover and maximize employee productivity, commitment and loyalty. We support efforts to increase the federal minimum wage.”

An average Costco worker made about $45,000 in 2011, according to Fortune. That’s compared to an average of about $17,486 per year for a worker at comparable Walmart-owned Sam’s Club.
http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-liberal/2013/03/costco-reaps-benefits-of-higher-wages-and-health-care-benefits-2457020.html

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »

“At Costco, we know that paying employees good wages makes good sense for business,” Jelinik said in a statement last week. “Instead of minimizing wages, we know it’s a lot more profitable in the long term to minimize employee turnover and maximize employee productivity, commitment and loyalty. We support efforts to increase the federal minimum wage.”

An average Costco worker made about $45,000 in 2011, according to Fortune. That’s compared to an average of about $17,486 per year for a worker at comparable Walmart-owned Sam’s Club.
http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-liberal/2013/03/costco-reaps-benefits-of-higher-wages-and-health-care-benefits-2457020.html

Yeah, but what does Costco know?

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »

Me too.

Shut up, modtards.

FYP

nice work moderate friend.

libtards disguised as modtards  :runaway:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »

FYI, evidently the average Costco worker makes more than the average teacher does in KS.

Stocking boxes is tough.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 11:54:50 AM »
This issue is very real.  The minimum wage is so low that there's more incentive not to work than there is to work for minimum wage.  Low skilled workers should be able to work full-time and still live comfortably, but that's not the case anymore.  I actually kinda like Mitt Romney's idea to tie minimum wage to inflation.  At least that way it's factored into the cost of living.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
This issue is very real.  The minimum wage is so low that there's more incentive not to work than there is to work for minimum wage.  Low skilled workers should be able to work full-time and still live comfortably, but that's not the case anymore.  I actually kinda like Mitt Romney's idea to tie minimum wage to inflation.  At least that way it's factored into the cost of living.

You are a rough ridin' idiot.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 12:00:43 PM »

FYI, evidently the average Costco worker makes more than the average teacher does in KS.

Stocking boxes is tough.

That explains why Costco is such a ripoff (not joking).

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »

If we are talking about incentive this has as much to do with the federal and state assistance as it does with min wage. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »

If we are talking about incentive this has as much to do with the federal and state assistance as it does with min wage.

That's the point... welfare and government assistance are creating a wage well above the minimum wage.  There's no incentive to get a job if you're a low skilled worker who can only get hired at firms that pay minimum wage.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
Seriously though, how big of a scam is Costco.  Umm.... Our prices aren't that good, we don't take credit cards, you have to buy obscene quantities, you need a membership and oh yeah, you have to take your crap home in boxes bc we don't provide grocery bags.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
Seriously though, how big of a scam is Costco.  Umm.... Our prices aren't that good, we don't take credit cards, you have to buy obscene quantities, you need a membership and oh yeah, you have to take your crap home in boxes bc we don't provide grocery bags.

It depends.  I know families that have a bunch of kids.  The mom will take them "shopping" at costco over lunch so that they can fill up on samples and she then doesn't have to buy 5 kids lunch.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »

That's the point... welfare and government assistance are creating a wage well above the minimum wage.  There's no incentive to get a job if you're a low skilled worker who can only get hired at firms that pay minimum wage.

Exactly, we need to address govt assistance.  After all, if you are unable to work, you wouldn't be bitching about what you would make at McDonalds. 

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
Guys, Costco is Aldi but with terrible prices.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »

Guys, this probably doesn't need to be repeated, but Beems is not a sock, and not a troll. He actually believes this stuff. The problem isn't that welfare is too high... it's that the minimum wage is too low.  :lol:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Time to raise the minimum wage again...
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
This issue is very real.  The minimum wage is so low that there's more incentive not to work than there is to work for minimum wage.  Low skilled workers should be able to work full-time and still live semi-uncomfortably.

FYP
:adios:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »

Exactly, we need to address govt assistance.  After all, if you are unable to work, you wouldn't be bitching about what you would make at McDonalds.

Most of those people wouldn't be able to hold a job at McDonalds even if they tried to. They are lazy sacks of crap for the most part who nobody wants on their workforce. The best course of action for the country would be to take their children and put them into government-funded boarding schools so they can escape their parents' cycle and set up soup kitchens for the people who can't hold a job at McD's.

I think the minimum wage is probably ok as long as the government does something about crappy corporations cutting hours to get around Obamacare. There needs to be a 3rd tier so employers with tens of thousands of employees like Walmart have to offer an affordable healthcare plan for even their part time help. When you add health insurance to the minimum wage, it is more lucrative than welfare.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »

Guys, this probably doesn't need to be repeated, but Beems is not a sock, and not a troll. He actually believes this stuff. The problem isn't that welfare is too high... it's that the minimum wage is too low.  :lol:

It's a combination of both.  Welfare is too high and minimum wage is too low.  Nice straw man attempt, though.