Author Topic: moving  (Read 39836 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: moving
« Reply #350 on: April 27, 2019, 03:48:12 PM »
I’d never hire movers to pack my stuff (too cheap and also I even hate it when grocery stores bag my groceries for me), but you’re a damn fool if you don’t hire someone to move all your junk after it’s packed.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 27, 2019, 04:45:13 PM »
I’d never hire movers to pack my stuff (too cheap and also I even hate it when grocery stores bag my groceries for me), but you’re a damn fool if you don’t hire someone to move all your junk after it’s packed.
Hiring movers to pack is an incredible value - I don't know if you've ever quoted it but when I had company moves I was shocked at how cheap it was.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »
I use packing as an opportunity to throw out shitloads of stuff my american ass has accumulated.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »
yes the only good part of moving is the purge.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »
Moving to DC in a couple months, not looking forward to changing from a house back to an apartment for at least the first 6-12 months. Going to be doing a lot of getting rid of stuff soon. People really are just goldfish, growing and accumulating to take up the allotted space.
:adios:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »
yarddog magapak incoming!

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 30, 2019, 03:55:21 PM »
yarddog magapak incoming!
I’d for sure pak with yarddog. He wasn’t a very good message boarder because he was too earnest and friendly, but those are much better qualities IRL.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 30, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
I pak'd with yarddog in Lawrence circa 2011. Highly recommend.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 30, 2019, 05:16:18 PM »
Canco yard dog is good peeps
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 06, 2020, 09:20:31 AM »
Moving to DC in a couple months, not looking forward to changing from a house back to an apartment for at least the first 6-12 months. Going to be doing a lot of getting rid of stuff soon. People really are just goldfish, growing and accumulating to take up the allotted space.
Didn't take, back to Chicago at the end of the week. I'll miss working from home, and regularly PAKing with bubbles, but not much else.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 06, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
:love:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
moving
« Reply #361 on: December 12, 2021, 07:16:45 PM »
So I recently switched jobs at work and going forward it will be forever full remote. Which completely untethers me from KC. All my friends are married with kids so they are at a different point.

I rough ridin' HATE winter, which is why I spent almost all of last winter in AZ. The problem is my new job is EST hours so 2/3 hour differences are not something I wanna deal with.

Thinking about moving south where I can be active all year. Anyone done this recently or since the pandemic started? This is the first time I’ve had the opportunity to do this and I don’t have anything keeping me here really anymore.

Also if I move somewhere and don’t like it. I can just move somewhere else.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2021, 07:17:58 PM »
So I recently switched jobs at work and going forward it will be forever full remote. Which completely untethers me from KC. All my friends are married with kids so they are at a different point.

I rough ridin' HATE winter, which is why I spent almost all of last winter in AZ. The problem is my new job is EST hours so 2/3 hour differences are not something I wanna deal with.

Thinking about moving south where I can be active all year. Anyone done this recently or since the pandemic started? This is the first time I’ve had the opportunity to do this and I don’t have anything keeping me here really anymore.

Also if I move somewhere and don’t like it. I can just move somewhere else.

I think one of the posters here lives in Birmingham and seems to like it.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
moving
« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2021, 07:31:13 PM »
I also have to give the caveat that the reason I was in San Antonio for the UTSA game is because I was visiting a lady friend. So SA is top of my list right now.

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 12, 2021, 07:31:40 PM »
Does your salary change if you live somewhere else? I have always thought you get your best bang for your buck in college towns. I like Knoxville for example. You still have winter but it'll be more mild. Asheville is also pretty close but I imagine it's full of obnoxious hipsters.

Also depends on what you want to do but why not end your lease in KC, put your stuff in storage, and do month long Airbnb's in a few cities? I know a couple folks that did that and really enjoyed it.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 12, 2021, 07:42:24 PM »
Does your salary change if you live somewhere else? I have always thought you get your best bang for your buck in college towns. I like Knoxville for example. You still have winter but it'll be more mild. Asheville is also pretty close but I imagine it's full of obnoxious hipsters.

Also depends on what you want to do but why not end your lease in KC, put your stuff in storage, and do month long Airbnb's in a few cities? I know a couple folks that did that and really enjoyed it.

I don’t believe so, I’m still with the same company in KC this new position is just full remote. My new boss moved to Texas either late last year or very early this year so I could ask him.

My current lease goes until May but just putting my stuff in storage and doing something like that I have thought about. I’d like to live in a bigger metro since there would be more to do too.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2021, 08:32:22 PM »
Heads: N Carolina Tails: S Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2021, 08:35:18 PM »
Heads: N Carolina Tails: S Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throw away the coin and move to the research triangle area of Raleigh. College sports heaven.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 12, 2021, 08:52:36 PM »
Move to Mexico
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 12, 2021, 09:16:07 PM »

I don’t believe so, I’m still with the same company in KC this new position is just full remote. My new boss moved to Texas either late last year or very early this year so I could ask him.

My current lease goes until May but just putting my stuff in storage and doing something like that I have thought about. I’d like to live in a bigger metro since there would be more to do too.

If you want "bigger" I'd probably only look at Nashville or Atlanta (even if Nashville might technically be smaller than KC). I don't think the other warmer, larger cities in the central or eastern time zones would have enough things to do to be worth moving to.

And thinking about it, if you are getting a KC salary you probably won't go any lower and definitely won't go higher if you move. I'd ask your manager and/or HR if there's an official policy just in case though

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 12, 2021, 09:42:07 PM »

go to argentina in the winters.  it's farther east so you can sleep in.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 12, 2021, 09:53:06 PM »

mind blown
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #372 on: December 13, 2021, 05:22:25 AM »

This is the answer. Can you get cheap flights for your last friend from San Antonio?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 13, 2021, 05:48:25 AM »

mind blown
It's the best idea so far.

@sys do they call the December-March season winter even though it's warmer?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 13, 2021, 07:18:43 AM »

If you want "bigger" I'd probably only look at Nashville or Atlanta (even if Nashville might technically be smaller than KC). I don't think the other warmer, larger cities in the central or eastern time zones would have enough things to do to be worth moving to.

And thinking about it, if you are getting a KC salary you probably won't go any lower and definitely won't go higher if you move. I'd ask your manager and/or HR if there's an official policy just in case though

I can't imagine Nashville has more to do than KC. Seems like it would be significantly less.

Watch out thinking of international. Many companies aren't big fans of their devices, data, connections being outside of US borders. Also brings different labor laws into play.