Author Topic: Midwest Cheap  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Midwest Cheap
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2024, 09:03:25 AM »
You guys are trying hard so I'll give you a +6 on the cheap scale, but SD gets a +2 with only credit card hoarding.
My folks were both raised in the Depression era. They reused everything and didn't use a trash service as they burned it.  Had me milk a cow because mom didn't want to buy unnecessary items.  We butchered a steer and/or a pig once a year.  Mom bought our clothes from Woolworths 5 & 10.  Some of the crap was to embarrassing to wear.  We didn't get new shoes until they were coming apart.  As far as my mom was concerned, we were still in the Depression.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2024, 09:45:08 AM »
Is that where the mutt got their name?

From the grain crop, she was originally named Shiloh when I picked her up from the pound so it was an easy switch.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2024, 12:54:19 PM »
I buy those big logs of hamburger meat and go home and vac seal into individual 1 lb bags. Everything sucks about it and the savings isn't enough to be impactful but I have to admit being to quickly thaw out a thin sheet of meat is also not that rewarding.
The real midwesterners either buy a side/quarter of beef OR just grind their own.  I’ve been eyeballing a kitchen-aid grinder for a while.

I don’t buy roast beef anymore.  I buy my own roast, make it, and use my deli-slicer to cut it thin.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]