Author Topic: moving  (Read 40326 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: moving
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I know it's obvious, but a friend had this happen to him a few years ago.

Don't put things that can't be replaced in the storage locker.  Photos, crap like that.  Catalog everything as it goes in, photograph the crap out of it, and insure it for replacement value.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »
hydrofluoric acid won't go through plastic cire, so you can store the whole fam in the locker if thats what you are asking

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
It sounds like SME is just ruining Johnson County.

Just how much better is SME than SMW/SMS? Can somebody put together test scores among students who come from similar demographics or something?

Too lazy to look up the test scores but IIRC Average ACT scores went somethign like this

1. East- 25
2. South- 24
3. West/NW- 22
4. North- 21
East has always been the least EMAW of all of them, very few East grads go to Kstate

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2013, 03:04:57 PM »
I know it's obvious, but a friend had this happen to him a few years ago.

Don't put things that can't be replaced in the storage locker.  Photos, crap like that.  Catalog everything as it goes in, photograph the crap out of it, and insure it for replacement value.

good to know, would not have thought about that stuff. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2013, 03:20:57 PM »
Oh ya if it wasn't clear his entire locker got cleaned out pics and everything.  Got some of the stuff back, his motorcycle found parted out in TX, but important stuff gone.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2013, 03:27:58 PM »
Cire, have you considered Olathe Northwest?  That gets you into some nice areas and opens up Lenexa.

My wife and I are preparing to put our house on the market in the Spring, and we're looking at areas.  Olathe NW seems pretty okay if you want to stay in that area.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2013, 03:31:25 PM »
It's more expensive, but yes it is very nice.  The two middle schools that are the primary feeders are solid and NW is a very good school.  We're going to stay in South's district.

My mom is trying to talk us in to buying her house contingent that we live with her and split the mortgage for 6 months to a year.

would be a good deal but I don't know if I could do that for that long.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »
I still don't understand how a property next door not being owner-occupied requires a move. Or why you would buy a place when you're pretty sure you're going to just sell it and buy another one a few miles away.

I don't understand a lot, however.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2013, 03:37:17 PM »
Rentals are generally not as well maintained, and also can attract a less desirable neighbor.

I think the rental market in kc is much different than the east bay though.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »
Rentals are generally not as well maintained, and also can attract a less desirable neighbor.

I think the rental market in kc is much different than the east bay though.

My neighbor across the street got a job in Canada and moved there a few years ago.  So, he decided to rent his house.  In that time, we've had three sets of "tenants" across the street.  Every single one of them has turned what was a beautiful home into a weed infested junk pile.

The first guy had a bunch of drug dealers come buy and sell him stuff, the second was a group of early twenty-somethings that let it all go to Hell, and the third guy doesn't even care that his yard and overgrowing bushes are dropping property values all around him.

So, yes, I am with Cire on this.  It's not why we're moving (i.e. we actually need more room; we own the smallest home in the neighborhood), but it's going to hurt us when we sell.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:45:36 PM by Panjandrum »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
I still don't understand how a property next door not being owner-occupied requires a move. Or why you would buy a place when you're pretty sure you're going to just sell it and buy another one a few miles away.

I don't understand a lot, however.

the house we are in now is small and is nearly 50 years old and was not built well.  Has been kind of a money pit.  The neighborhood doesn't have any kids in it and many of the other houses are not maintained very well.

we want a house that we can have more kids in, in a neighborhood that they will have other kids to play with.

we bought in 2006 when home prices and market was very good.  my wife was still in grad school when we bought but it was never a home that we were going to stay in 10+ years.  we were hoping to flip it with some TLC because we got it about 15K under the neighborhood asking at that time.   The fact that my mom is offering to have us basically rent free until we find a new house is also enticing because we will probably break even on the current place.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2013, 03:47:04 PM »
The fact that my mom is offering to have us basically rent free until we find a new house is also enticing because we will probably break even on the current place.
Your wife is going to hate this.. You should probably make her think this is her idea that way when she bitches about it she can't blame you

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
The fact that my mom is offering to have us basically rent free until we find a new house is also enticing because we will probably break even on the current place.
Your wife is going to hate this.. You should probably make her think this is her idea that way when she bitches about it she can't blame you

Your kids will probably hate this, too.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
Rent is a small price to pay for your sanity (spoken from experience).

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »
i mean, i hate this

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »
my wife and mother get along better than she gets along with her own mother.  they concocted the whole thing.  And my mom's house is more than twice the size of ours included with a backyard freaking playground.    We'll have our own bathroom and our own living room in the finished basement.   I get along with my mom fine, could be as short as a month, or I guess as long as 6 if we decide to buy hers.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
moving in january sucks level:  10.  snow and slopshit all over the roads and crap.  terrible.  moving in general sucks level: 5

not being in the "kid" game, i never knew until now that people were that snobby in/about the SM district.  all those schools are crap ass old and are paid for from the same operating budget.

any real money in kc goes to pembroke, whose students hire sme kids to shine their shoes.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »
my wife and mother get along better than she gets along with her own mother.  they concocted the whole thing.  And my mom's house is more than twice the size of ours included with a backyard freaking playground.    We'll have our own bathroom and our own living room in the finished basement.   I get along with my mom fine, could be as short as a month, or I guess as long as 6 if we decide to buy hers.
I find it hard to believe your wife will not only  live with your mother but agree to buy her house as well.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:34:08 PM by Skipper44 »

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »
Cire, have you considered Olathe Northwest?  That gets you into some nice areas and opens up Lenexa.

My wife and I are preparing to put our house on the market in the Spring, and we're looking at areas.  Olathe NW seems pretty okay if you want to stay in that area.
also pretty high emaw ratio and Aldrich perm camped out at the Goodcents.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »
Let me tell you about johnson county.  There are only 3 acceptable neighborhoods to live in:

1. Mission Hills
2. Fairway
3. Westwood Hills

PV can GTFOOMFF b/c its garbage.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
Let me tell you about johnson county.  There are only 3 acceptable neighborhoods to live in:

1. Mission Hills.
2. Fairway
3. Westwood Hills

PV can GTFOOMFF b/c its garbage.
carnes,  did you grow up in KC?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
I find it hard to believe your wife will not only  live with your mother but agree to buy her house as well.

Like I said they concocted the thing

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:33 PM »
listening to kansas city people argue back and forth about their dork parts of town is just the absolute worst.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
listening to kansas city people argue back and forth about their dork parts of town is just the absolute worst.

It's quaint.  Like the special olympics. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2013, 08:18:31 PM »

It's quaint.  Like the special olympics.

the thing is that they're all just so serious. like they are actually serious. 95th street! metcalf is a dividing line! oh my god don't get me started on blackbob! it's just so painful to watch. like, even the competitors in the special olympics know they aren't the real olympics. imagine if they didn't though? that's what this kc neighborhood talk it like. i mean really. really?