Author Topic: moving  (Read 39833 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: moving
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »
Like, in all seriousness, how much more does living in the SME district cost you? Say for a 3 bedroom 2 bath. (OR IS THAT TOO SMALL)

3 bedroom 2 bath will run your around 230,000 in PV(SME). Friend just bought one.

Same house in my parents neighborhood(95th and Antioch, border of SMW/SMS) would be around $180-200,000 and probably have 4 bedrooms and 3 baths.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
Like, in all seriousness, how much more does living in the SME district cost you? Say for a 3 bedroom 2 bath. (OR IS THAT TOO SMALL)

3 bedroom 2 bath will run your around 230,000 in PV(SME). Friend just bought one.

Same house in my parents neighborhood(95th and Antioch, border of SMW/SMS) would be around $180-200,000 and probably have 4 bedrooms and 3 baths.

That actually sounds like a really great deal for the PV house.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
It sounds like SME is just ruining Johnson County.

Just how much better is SME than SMW/SMS? Can somebody put together test scores among students who come from similar demographics or something?

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 02:04:12 PM »
If you want one that is already updated you will be paying north of $300k.

$230k can get you the property someone just died in and then you go to town on the reno.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »

Depends on how shitty it is.  Look at Zillow if you're really curious.  $300k will get you a lot more in Lenexa than in PV fo sho.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »

That actually sounds like a really great deal for the PV house.

I think there is definitely a premium for the "PV Cape Cod Charmer"

2 friends bought houses in PV last year, 4 bedrooms 2 baths for around $180 but they were ranch type houses with finished basements.

Friend that just bought the house around 71st and tomahawk paid 230 for the PV Charmer with 3 bed 2 baths. Prices have definitely gone up this year in PV.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »
People shopping for houses in Johnson County sound like awful people in general.

#michigancatpost

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 02:08:15 PM »

Just how much better is SME than SMW/SMS? Can somebody put together test scores among students who come from similar demographics or something?

Too lazy to look up the test scores but IIRC Average ACT scores went somethign like this

1. East- 25
2. South- 24
3. West/NW- 22
4. North- 21

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »

Too lazy to look up the test scores but IIRC Average ACT scores went somethign like this

1. East- 25
2. South- 24
3. West/NW- 22
4. North- 21

I think I would try to send my kids to south, based upon the information in this thread. It seems like it is probably the best school out of the bunch. It's hard to tell without knowing the income demographics at each school, though.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »
the markets have turned for sure in the 200-230 range all across joco.

so it sounds like I should look in to movers for stuff.  We don't have a ton of big stuff bc the house is small.  Moving the big stuff isn't a huge deal because I've done it a crap load of times and I'm really strong and have lots of friends who are also strong (ksu grads etc).

the reason we are moving before selling is because my mom lives by herself in a big house and offered us to stay until ours sells.  Moving out will be easier for the cleaner/toucher upper people.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
The average act score at my high school couldn't have been much higher than 10, but I turned out all right.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »
living in KC seems like a pain in the ass and not something anyone should choose to do

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 02:12:31 PM »
living in KC seems like a pain in the ass and not something anyone should choose to do

SD would fit in real well around 141st and metcalf. Or maybe your a 160th and ridgeview type of guy?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2013, 02:13:07 PM »
Does your mom live in the right school district?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »
Olathe south

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
Sd is for sure a "north of the river" kinda of guy.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »

SD would fit in real well around 141st and metcalf. Or maybe your a 160th and ridgeview type of guy?

I would live in lawrence

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »

I would live in lawrence

great answer

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
Shawnee Mission is just one big district so it's not like one school is really that much better then the others.  East is certainly known as the weathliest of the schools but I think people wanting to go there is more about the status then it is about the quality of the actual education.   Of course you won't hear any of shawnee mission east people say that. 

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »
basically i just want to live in an area where people think i'm even richer than i already am.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »

I would live in lawrence

Drive to MCI  :flush:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »
basically i just want to live in an area where people think i'm even richer than i already am.

You should move to a rough neighborhood and then just bulldoze some crappy house and build a mansion atop the wreckage. Your neighbors will treat you like you are Mr. Monopoly.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
So what about plastic vs cardboard?  I'm thinking that I'm going to have to store a bunch of stuff.  Anyone had experience with a storage locker?

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »
It can be $50k easy, one example is comparing the homes in these two neighborhoods

pretty similar neighborhoods full of mostly 3 and 4 bedroom ranches that were built in the 50s and 60s - Reinhardt Estates is on the south side of SM Parkway in Fairway and the subdivision directly to the north on the other side SM Parkway is Fairway Manor and is actually in Roeland Park.  I believe the district redrew the SM East and North boundary to make all of Fairway East and all of Roeland Park to to North in the 80s. 

Roeland Park at $290k http://www.reeceandnichols.com/homes-for-sale/KS/Roeland-Park/66205/4904-MOHAWK-Drive-93612188

Fairway at $435k http://www.reeceandnichols.com/homes-for-sale/KS/Fairway/66205/5720-REINHARDT-Drive-97275118

It is becoming tougher to compare the two as very few of the houses in Reinhardt haven't been added on to, there are houses for sale in that neighborhood close $1M

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:41:23 PM by Skipper44 »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2013, 02:37:30 PM »
So what about plastic vs cardboard?  I'm thinking that I'm going to have to store a bunch of stuff.  Anyone had experience with a storage locker?

If you are going to need a storage locker, plastic tubs are going to be your best bet. You need something water-proof because moisture tends to get into storage lockers.