Author Topic: moving  (Read 39845 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: moving
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »
The older neighborhoods of JoCo are so much better than the new garbage.
it is pretty sad what is happening to most of the hoods outside of PV, Fairway and Leawood

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »
It's awful. I hate moving, don't do it

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 11:03:42 AM »
it is pretty sad what is happening to most of the hoods outside of PV, Fairway and Leawood

describe what is happening

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
Get a new job with a relocation package. Problems solved.
True story: I have never paid for a move since I left college, and I have moved 5 times. Each move has been a profitable experience.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »

your prototypical Joco family - 2 parents with bachelors degrees and couple of kids - will only buy a house in the SM East district or the newer neighborhoods out South or West.  So in Merriam, Roeland Park and the older parts of OP, Shawnee and Lenexa home prices have fallen and there are more rental houses.  A lot of the houses are at least 40 years old and are not being maintained at the typical JoCo level and it looks like the beginning of a downward spiral for those areas.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »

your prototypical Joco family - 2 parents with bachelors degrees and couple of kids - will only buy a house in the SM East district or the newer neighborhoods out South or West.  So in Merriam, Roeland Park and the older parts of OP, Shawnee and Lenexa home prices have fallen and there are more rental houses.  A lot of the houses are at least 40 years old and are not being maintained at the typical JoCo level and it looks like the beginning of a downward spiral for those areas.

Whenever we visit the family in OP, my parents have lived in OP for 50 years.   We go to the Ross Community Center in dtwn OP (nice place) I get a workout and the rest stay and hoop and such.   While they're there I drive around old OP, and while some it is depressing, some of those older home/lots are cool and have so much potential for someone wanting a huge lot in an older neighborhood.    There's lots in my parents neighborhood that got extended out to nearly 3/4's of acre when they did a sewer project many years ago. 

I also credit the city of Overland Park for coming back in with grant money to redo older shopping centers like Cherokee Shopping Center to keep them up.   Those are the kinds of things I do miss about living in OP, the relatively well maintained roads, good street lights and traffic control systems.   You don't appreciate those things until you live somewhere and those things suck, or they're way behind on traffic/road improvement.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »

Whenever we visit the family in OP, my parents have lived in OP for 50 years.   We go to the Ross Community Center in dtwn OP (nice place) I get a workout and the rest stay and hoop and such.   While they're there I drive around old OP, and while some it is depressing, some of those older home/lots are cool and have so much potential for someone wanting a huge lot in an older neighborhood.    There's lots in my parents neighborhood that got extended out to nearly 3/4's of acre when they did a sewer project many years ago.
That is absolutely true but you are really gambling if you pour a couple of hundred K into one that is not in the SME district.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »

That is absolutely true but you are really gambling if you pour a couple of hundred K into one that is not in the SME district.

Really? I would think those older parts of Leawood that fed SMS would be pretty good investments.   

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »

Really? I would think those older parts of Leawood that fed SMS would be pretty good investments.
The East boundary is 95th so you only have that little pocket of Leawood between 95th and 435 that goes to South.  Also, East has stopped accepting transfers from outside the district - I believe the South neighborhoods were the last to be accepted.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »
everyone knows your kid will be a piece of crap loser if he can't get into SME

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 11:56:33 AM »
OP =  :flush:

Lenexa =  :love:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »
Kansas City re-affirming itself as the loseriest of the losers

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »

Yep. He won't even be able to read, most likely.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »

also a thug (if the thugs at SMS don't murder him first)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »

Probably be in prison by the time they're 16 . . . unless they go to SME.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »

also a thug (if the thugs at SMS don't murder him first)

He will have no choice but to join a gang or get killed in the gang crossfire. And with gangs come drugs. If he kills the wrong gangbanger, you can just expect your house to get burned down by the rival gang, and that really ruins your resale value.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 01:22:50 PM »
thank god this thread turned to kc townie talk before it became too late.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »
Hey guize, SMW graduate chiming in here. OMG DONT GO TO WEST!!! I BARELY MADE IT OUT ALIVE!!! DID YOU KNOW THAT SM WEST HAS THE HIGHEST ENROLLMENT OF MINORITIES OF ANY SM SCHOOL?!?!?! 10 PERCENT. T E N    P E R C E N T. AND THAT WAS WHEN I GRADUATED ALMOST 10 YEARS AGO, ITS PROBABLY LIKE 13% NOW!!!

SOMETIMES I WOULD WALK THROUGH THE HALLS TRYING TO GET TO CLASS AND I WOULD ENCOUNTER WHOLE GROUPS OF "THOSE PEOPLE" STANDING IN THE HALLS AND I WOULD GET SUPER SCARED AND TURN AND WALK THE OTHER WAY.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 01:41:11 PM »
Hey guize, SMW graduate chiming in here. OMG DONT GO TO WEST!!! I BARELY MADE IT OUT ALIVE!!! DID YOU KNOW THAT SM WEST HAS THE HIGHEST ENROLLMENT OF MINORITIES OF ANY SM SCHOOL?!?!?! 10 PERCENT. T E N    P E R C E N T. AND THAT WAS WHEN I GRADUATED ALMOST 10 YEARS AGO, ITS PROBABLY LIKE 13% NOW!!!

SOMETIMES I WOULD WALK THROUGH THE HALLS TRYING TO GET TO CLASS AND I WOULD ENCOUNTER WHOLE GROUPS OF "THOSE PEOPLE" STANDING IN THE HALLS AND I WOULD GET SUPER SCARED AND TURN AND WALK THE OTHER WAY.

Did any of them ever ask you to join their gang?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
No, I played football and all the "gangs" know to stay away from the football players or feel the wrath of Coach Callahan.

One time Tommy started hanging around the "gangsters" between 4th and 5th period, coach callahan saw this and made all the gangsters run wind sprints next time they were in his weights class.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »
OMG I am in this very crisis as we speak. Not willing to move South or West. Wife is a SME snob and demands we live there. I am willing to go further south to get into SMS district (Leawood) but I'm getting stonewalled. :(
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
I like moving. I enjoy new places. Wish I was moving right now.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
Like, in all seriousness, how much more does living in the SME district cost you? Say for a 3 bedroom 2 bath. (OR IS THAT TOO SMALL)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
OMG I am in this very crisis as we speak. Not willing to move South or West. Wife is a SME snob and demands we live there. I am willing to go further south to get into SMS district (Leawood) but I'm getting stonewalled. :(

Sounds like #teamSoonToBeHomeSchoolingCats is really picking up steam in the how to move well thread. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »
No, I played football and all the "gangs" know to stay away from the football players or feel the wrath of Coach Callahan.

One time Tommy started hanging around the "gangsters" between 4th and 5th period, coach callahan saw this and made all the gangsters run wind sprints next time they were in his weights class.

Did Coach Callahan get this problem solved before Tommy tried the drugs or was he too late?