Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3220866 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KU football is hurting
« Reply #16700 on: December 13, 2016, 09:39:39 AM »
It really makes you wonder what sort of mediocrity other coaches that get fired after 3-4 years would have risen to if they just had more time.

Well, we sort of found out with Jimmy Wooldridge. Sometimes that rise to mediocrity doesn't happen.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16701 on: December 13, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »
the weirdos who have some opinion that mccarney wasn't complete dogshit for decades are very lol. you run across them a lot.

I don't understand how his record is much different than Mangino's.

trajectory

This post and your Indiana post leads me to believe that you forgot how Mangino finished at KU.

No, I remember. Mangino's last year at KU would have been about an average year for McCarney. To compare the two is just ridiculous. And my god, Indiana football is terrible. They had a nice little run of barely getting bowl eligible, but pretty soon they'll be back to their 3 or 4 win every year selves.

_FAN hashed out the McCarney stuff so I'll leave that alone but the last half of your last sentence pretty much stated why Indiana is nowhere close to KU. So they'll have to backslide to get "back to their 3 or 4 win every year selves." KU is trying to build to that, not hoping to avoid to slide to that point. Chutes and ladders, RATM.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16702 on: December 13, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »
New video boards for the KU locker room:
Re: Even more upgrades to the Locker Room, per recruits
9:05 AM
(4 votes)

I can't believe anyone is bashing this? KU has one asset over lots of programs. Cash. We have to use that asset as much as possible to separate ourselves. This is one way.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16703 on: December 13, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »
the weirdos who have some opinion that mccarney wasn't complete dogshit for decades are very lol. you run across them a lot.

I don't understand how his record is much different than Mangino's.

trajectory

This post and your Indiana post leads me to believe that you forgot how Mangino finished at KU.

No, I remember. Mangino's last year at KU would have been about an average year for McCarney. To compare the two is just ridiculous. And my god, Indiana football is terrible. They had a nice little run of barely getting bowl eligible, but pretty soon they'll be back to their 3 or 4 win every year selves.

_FAN hashed out the McCarney stuff so I'll leave that alone but the last half of your last sentence pretty much stated why Indiana is nowhere close to KU. So they'll have to backslide to get "back to their 3 or 4 win every year selves." KU is trying to build to that, not hoping to avoid to slide to that point. Chutes and ladders, RATM.

I view KU as a 3 or 4 win program that is going through the worst stretch in its history. I think they'll eventually snap out of it and get back to their 3 or 4 win per year selves, too.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16704 on: December 13, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »
Terry allen was a finalist for the Iowa job while he was at Kansas.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16705 on: December 13, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »
Terry allen was a finalist for the Iowa job while he was at Kansas.

With his record at Northern Iowa as a player and a coach, it is hard not to put the feelers out to the guy to come back to the state.  Doesn't mean he will get the job.  Just an effort to appease those who want to throw his name out there.  Sort of like Bob Chipman to KSU for hoops coach.

Offline gE_Temp

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16706 on: December 13, 2016, 10:45:26 PM »
I don't think these stats have ever been brought up in this thread.  The non-conference SOS is also very interesting.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2007/free/sos.htm

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16707 on: December 13, 2016, 11:06:09 PM »
I don't think these stats have ever been brought up in this thread.  The non-conference SOS is also very interesting.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2007/free/sos.htm

I hear the train a comin'
It's rolling round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,
I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on
But that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Antone..
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16708 on: December 13, 2016, 11:07:02 PM »
:thumbs:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #16709 on: December 14, 2016, 12:13:04 AM »
Purdue, Illinois and Indiana are all on a higher level than ku. Rutgers may be on the same level, so there is posssibly one p5 team that would consider kiffin
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16710 on: December 14, 2016, 12:55:08 AM »
Purdue, Illinois and Indiana are all on a higher level than ku. Rutgers may be on the same level, so there is posssibly one p5 team that would consider kiffin
Couldn't you make the argument that on a program level Rutgers is worse than KU?  I mean that only because their AD is a dumpster fire of epic proportions whereas KU views their football program as a niche sport that siphons money away from basketball.   
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
KU football is hurting
« Reply #16711 on: December 14, 2016, 08:31:39 AM »
(4 votes)

I can't believe anyone is bashing this? KU has one asset over lots of programs. Cash. We have to use that asset as much as possible to separate ourselves. This is one way.

Apparently this person doesn't read their annual reports.  On an annual operational basis they were in the red, again, and they don't have bunch of "cash" laying around.  They basically have one money guy for football.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16712 on: December 14, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »
(4 votes)

Apparently this person doesn't read their annual reports.  On an annual operational basis they were in the red, again, and they don't have bunch of "cash" laying around.  They basically have one money guy for football.

IIRC, KU earned less money in their athletic dept than K-State, largely because of the differential in PAID attendance to football games.  That differential exceeded the superior earnings of KU basketball program....

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
KU football is hurting
« Reply #16713 on: December 14, 2016, 08:40:51 AM »
(4 votes)

IIRC, KU earned less money in their athletic dept than K-State, largely because of the differential in PAID attendance to football gains.  That differential exceeded the superior earnings of KU basketball program....

Actually their revenues were more than Kstate ,but their operational expenses outran operational revenue, again, and their capital contributions were relatively small this past FY.   Which is why Zenger does leases on projects financed by others.  5 years in and the dude hasn't spearheaded a single major facilities project on his own accord.   Literally Tim Weiser incarnate from that perspective.

Hell, he tried to get KU housing to finance the jersey chaser brothel at first, and that may have been the easiest fund raising project in P5 athletic history. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16714 on: December 14, 2016, 08:50:48 AM »
Couldn't you make the argument that on a program level Rutgers is worse than KU?  I mean that only because their AD is a dumpster fire of epic proportions whereas KU views their football program as a niche sport that siphons money away from basketball.   

You probably could, but they were an 8 win team and in a bowl game as recently as 2014.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16715 on: December 14, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »
KU has signed 8 craptastic juco kids with next to no offers from anyone else for the 17 class........

carry on   :zzz:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16716 on: December 14, 2016, 01:43:38 PM »

You probably could, but they were an 8 win team and in a bowl game as recently as 2014.

Other thread related, but it happened to be March 2014 when UW scheduled Rutgers for 2016 and 2017.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16717 on: December 14, 2016, 11:21:24 PM »
Guys I was looking at some numbers trying to figure out a way we could help our TSC brother KU get more people in the stands for football and to sell more then 12,108 tickets for their last game at the Sprint Center.

So the KU alumni association lists 343,000 alumni (of course unlike K-State they don't say if that's living alumni or total alumni, unless of course all KU alumni are vampires, so then, well, they don't die unless it's some really weird circumstance, right). 

Now I've been told many times that KU alumni really spread their wings (get it?  Jayhawks . . . spread their wings) and migrate all over the world (which in some substantial numbers they do, okay).   But in looking at some numbers it appears that nearly 35% of all KU alumni live in (2) counties in Kansas.  In fact, 42% of all KU alumni live (or lived and then died) in the 9 county area that includes Douglas County and the 8 adjacent counties that include the KC and Topeka MSA's.   That's not exactly a lot of wing spreading there friends.   51% of KU alumni live in Kansas, and 60% of all KU alumni live in Kansas and Missouri, that's over 200,000 alumni within a few hours of Lawrentucky and Kansas City.

So with those envious demographic numbers in mind, how can we help KU do better then a half empty football stadium, and only 12,000 at their last Sprint Center game?  Is it apathy, is it economics?   

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16718 on: December 15, 2016, 07:28:16 AM »
Guys I was looking at some numbers trying to figure out a way we could help our TSC brother KU get more people in the stands for football and to sell more then 12,108 tickets for their last game at the Sprint Center.

So the KU alumni association lists 343,000 alumni (of course unlike K-State they don't say if that's living alumni or total alumni, unless of course all KU alumni are vampires, so then, well, they don't die unless it's some really weird circumstance, right). 

Now I've been told many times that KU alumni really spread their wings (get it?  Jayhawks . . . spread their wings) and migrate all over the world (which in some substantial numbers they do, okay).   But in looking at some numbers it appears that nearly 35% of all KU alumni live in (2) counties in Kansas.  In fact, 42% of all KU alumni live (or lived and then died) in the 9 county area that includes Douglas County and the 8 adjacent counties that include the KC and Topeka MSA's.   That's not exactly a lot of wing spreading there friends.   51% of KU alumni live in Kansas, and 60% of all KU alumni live in Kansas and Missouri, that's over 200,000 alumni within a few hours of Lawrentucky and Kansas City.

So with those envious demographic numbers in mind, how can we help KU do better then a half empty football stadium, and only 12,000 at their last Sprint Center game?  Is it apathy, is it economics?

not to over simplify, but none of my high school KU friends ever cared about KU football........some never attended a home game while they were in college..........(a fact that still blows my mind)........but they go on and on about how long they camped out for late night at the Phog
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16719 on: December 15, 2016, 09:27:54 AM »
I think we can all agree that the vampire of KU is the football program (for which the basketball program has a big, juicy jugular vein).

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16720 on: December 15, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »
It's all about marketing, go back to Blue Wings Rising

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16721 on: December 15, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »
Looked at the schedule, I bet they beat TTU and Baylor on top of SE MO St. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16722 on: December 15, 2016, 10:02:31 AM »
The most impressive thing about McCarney IMO is not going 9-3, it's 7-7. How in the literal eff.

Eddie Robinson Classic participants could have a 14 game schedule...we did in 2000.  Iowa State had a 7-6 record before losing their bowl game in 2002.

Ah, I thought that was '03 for us but makes sense.

KSU had a 14-game schedule in 2000 and a 15-game schedule in 2003.  The difference was that 2000 had an 11-game regular season and 2003 had a 12-game regular season.  So then add a bowl game, conference championship game, and the "classic" game  (2000 Eddie Robinson Classic / 2003 BCA Classic).  The 12-game regular season did not become standardized until 2006, and all of the "classic" games were done away with.  But oddly enough in 2002 and 2003 college football had a 12-game regular season I think due to how the calendar played out because the games could all be finished by a certain date.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that.  Anyway, Iowa State had the "classic" game and bowl game in 2002, but no conference championship game. 

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16723 on: December 15, 2016, 11:09:20 AM »
curious........would you take the over or under on KU football having, let's say a 8 win season in the next 10 years ?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16724 on: December 15, 2016, 11:26:36 AM »
curious........would you take the over or under on KU football having, let's say a 8 win season in the next 10 years ?

If they give Dave Beatty enough time, he'll definitely get more than 8 wins in 10 years. Not sure how many would be against P5's, but that could be an 800k bonus! Man, what a time to be the football coach at KU.

Oh, you meant 8 wins in a single season... ummm, just give Beatty time, he needs time.