Author Topic: Buy American  (Read 19940 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Buy American
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »
unions are now completely unnecessary for the physical protection of workers (their initial purpose) and simply used as a political slush fund to elect pro-union legislators (liberals).

Your abbreviated history left out the 40 hr work week and improved working conditions part in the middle.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
unions are now completely unnecessary for the physical protection of workers (their initial purpose) and simply used as a political slush fund to elect pro-union legislators (liberals).

Your abbreviated history left out the 40 hr work week and improved working conditions part in the middle.

And now it's a zero hour work week for many. Such progress!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »
Cops for example get a bad rap, but I bet 9/10 are decent enough people.  That's just how it goes though.

Nah, 90% are pieces of crap on power trips. FTP

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »
Cops for example get a bad rap, but I bet 9/10 are decent enough people.  That's just how it goes though.

Nah, 90% are pieces of crap on power trips. FTP

good catch, ell.  what a dumb thing for emo to have said.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2013, 05:12:53 PM »

There is a government agency for both of those issues.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »

so what you're saying is unions are kind of like the 2nd amendment. Unnecessary to repel foreign invaders - we have government agencies for that.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »

so what you're saying is unions are kind of like the 2nd amendment. Unnecessary to repel foreign invaders - we have government agencies for that.

I don't understand your riddle. There is nothing in the 2nd amendment regarding foreign invaders.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2013, 05:25:35 PM »
OK

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
OK

I guess you assume "being necessary to the security of a free state" refers to foreign invaders rather than protection of the people against government tyranny. Tomato-tomato

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »

Oh my. Pffffffft
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »
It wasn't my best work

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »
Public union employees shouldn't have been dumb enough to believe they would get pensions and pay raises until the end of time. That crap sucks for them but it's unsustainable and is now a thing of the past.

But the union boss Thugs feed them these lies for their own power/money/greed.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2013, 09:50:18 PM »
there's nothing unsustainable about a 19k/year pension.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »

which Republicans have effectively neutered until Obama skirted the rules (supposedly).
Too many facts, sorry. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »

Average probably includes the guy hired 3 days before they filed BK.

The bonds they floated just to fund the pension a couple years back were rediculous.  Bondholders only deserve 20 cents on the dollar on that crap.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Buy American
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2013, 10:03:59 PM »
This thread made me want to watch Robocop

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2013, 10:06:22 PM »
They cut police and fire by 40%, only lit 3 of 5 street lamps, let the parks go to crap raised property taxes 50% and paid themselves full benefits.  Completely perverse definition of civil service.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »

right

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
They cut police and fire by 40%, only lit 3 of 5 street lamps, let the parks go to crap raised property taxes 50% and paid themselves full benefits.  Completely perverse definition of civil service.

I don't think most of the people who are losing their pensions did any of that.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2013, 11:52:39 PM »
The bonds they floated just to fund the pension a couple years back were ridiculous.  Bondholders only deserve 20 cents on the dollar on that crap.

agree.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2013, 12:01:40 AM »

right

i mean, sure 19k is far more than any worker class or middle class peon needs or merits.  but they're just fiat dollars.  by the time those rubes try and collect, they'll be lucky to be able to buy a loaf of bread with their pension.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2013, 07:29:52 AM »

Average probably includes the guy hired 3 days before they filed BK.

The bonds they floated just to fund the pension a couple years back were rediculous.  Bondholders only deserve 20 cents on the dollar on that crap.

Well the latest plan has pension cuts coming and bondholders getting paid first.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2013, 07:33:34 AM »

Are you insinuating that the size of the workforces stayed the same over that time?  Because that seems self-evidently false.  Who is "they?"  If you are going to string up Detroit because Kwame Kilpatrick was a terribly corrupt crook of a mayor then are you condemning yourself when Obamacare takes effect?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2013, 08:26:37 AM »

right

Evidently, it is unsustainable. The city has approximately $3 billion in unfunded pension obligations. And this ignores completely "other post-employment benefits" for city employees - namely healthcare - which currently has a $6.4 billion shortfall. This is not necessarily unusual, by the way. Many others cities, large and small, have similar deficits.

Part of the problem may be that, "meager" as those annual pensions are, you're eligible for them starting at something like age 55. That usually doesn't happen in the real world. A lot of these people "retire" with full pension and then take a new job.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:38:50 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »

right

There might be if you become eligible for that pension at, say, age 55. People don't typically retire at age 55 in the real world.

Is this desk job real world or manual labor real world?