Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 438420 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #2200 on: December 22, 2020, 11:59:56 PM »
Our original stadium was something. The track went under the endzone seating.

Back when Jack Trice was built, I'd have rather just demolished the old stadium and that dorm immediately behind the stadium, centered the field with the state gym (older building offset of the open endzone) somewhat similar to Okla State. The other option would have been going north of it. I'm generally fine with the location of Jack Trice tho, the tailgating is great and access is easy. I just wish it was closer to campus.

https://twitter.com/CycloneFB/status/354290342733950978/photo/1

I have seen a lot of zany/bonkers stadiums in this thread but the track running under the end zone stands may be the weirdest. Thank you for sharing that interesting fact.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: December 23, 2020, 05:31:34 AM »

Back when Jack Trice was built, I'd have rather just demolished the old stadium and that dorm immediately behind the stadium, centered the field with the state gym (older building offset of the open endzone) somewhat similar to Okla State. The other option would have been going north of it. I'm generally fine with the location of Jack Trice tho, the tailgating is great and access is easy. I just wish it was closer to campus.

Is that right on Lincoln Way across the street from where Duncan Donuts currently is?

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2202 on: December 26, 2020, 07:24:47 PM »

Is that right on Lincoln Way across the street from where Duncan Donuts currently is?

Yes. Dunkin would be the most prime tailgate real estate in town if the stadium was still located there.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: January 03, 2021, 10:17:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/sdutkirKDKenney/status/1345512879693262848?s=20

I am happy for our Aztec bros that they're finally getting a stadium they can call their own, because there's just nothing sadder than group of 5 teams who are forced to play in pro football stadiums. SDSU, Tulane up until a few years ago, USF when they're bad, UMass in Gillette...it just gives me the feels. So I'm happy for our AzQats that they're getting their own stade. However...it's still like 8 miles from their main campus, and I'm sure it'll just become mostly some MLS stadium or something eventually. I dunno. THOUGHTZ BROS?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: January 03, 2021, 11:13:05 PM »

I am happy for our Aztec bros that they're finally getting a stadium they can call their own, because there's just nothing sadder than group of 5 teams who are forced to play in pro football stadiums. SDSU, Tulane up until a few years ago, USF when they're bad, UMass in Gillette...it just gives me the feels. So I'm happy for our AzQats that they're getting their own stade. However...it's still like 8 miles from their main campus, and I'm sure it'll just become mostly some MLS stadium or something eventually. I dunno. THOUGHTZ BROS?

You are correct, this was built to be another multipurpose stadium, I hope they find a way to give it some character for CFB. It will be home to the San Diego Loyal as well as the Aztecs. The Loyal play in the USL Championship which is the second level of American soccer, they will end up in the MLS within the next 5 years.

I was at that site last February it is sad, good access but they won't have the benefit of walking from the bars to and from a game, they'll have to jump on the train.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: January 03, 2021, 11:13:56 PM »
RIP Jack Murphy Stadium

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: January 04, 2021, 08:26:30 AM »
When the conversations first started, weren't they trying to build up a new campus type around around the new stadium as well?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: January 04, 2021, 08:36:30 AM »

i think its the same sitch for Temple/Eagles

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: January 04, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »
I think all colleges should play in on campus stadiums, its part of what makes CFB so much fun. When we played at UCLA I went to the game and it just felt weird tailgating on a golf course...Like the rose bowl is a cool venue and all but not for a regular CFB game when there are only 50k fans.

Are Pitt and UCLA the only P5 programs that play in off campus stadiums? (My definition of off campus is that students can't walk to the stadium).

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2209 on: January 04, 2021, 09:23:27 AM »
Agreed, Benji. I love tailgating at Okie State.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: January 04, 2021, 09:36:08 AM »
When the conversations first started, weren't they trying to build up a new campus type around around the new stadium as well?

Yes, they are expanding the campus to the are. It's a short ride on the trolley to the main campus, like 5 min.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: January 04, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »
I think all colleges should play in on campus stadiums, its part of what makes CFB so much fun. When we played at UCLA I went to the game and it just felt weird tailgating on a golf course...Like the rose bowl is a cool venue and all but not for a regular CFB game when there are only 50k fans.

Are Pitt and UCLA the only P5 programs that play in off campus stadiums? (My definition of off campus is that students can't walk to the stadium).

Miami

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: January 04, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »

I think Autzen stadium is "technically" off campus.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: January 04, 2021, 01:02:00 PM »

I think Autzen stadium is "technically" off campus.

Kind of a long walk, but there is a pedestrian bridge over the river from campus to the stadium

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: January 04, 2021, 01:49:23 PM »
I will say I'm pumped to get all the North Campus Corridor infrastructure and roadway improvements done to make BSFS feel more on campus'y.

The flythrough video looks really good.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: January 04, 2021, 02:01:58 PM »
I will say I'm pumped to get all the North Campus Corridor infrastructure and roadway improvements done to make BSFS feel more on campus'y.

:lol:
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: January 04, 2021, 02:49:11 PM »
The new home of UAB football is rapidly taking shape.   

https://www.protectivestadium.com/

Certainly a nice venue for UAB and may well position Legion FC to be moved up to an MLS Franchise.   However, a pretty big step back in terms of where Legion Field used to place Birmingham in terms of hosting big college football games.   

At least the renovation of the basketball arena has already put BHAM on the NCAA Regional calendar again.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: January 04, 2021, 09:31:06 PM »

What's the joke here?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: January 04, 2021, 09:46:33 PM »

What's the joke here?

I haven’t heard about it for 2 or 3 years. It’s been a thing for 6 years and I didn’t think they’d done anything. I had to google it to find out they just rebranded it.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:51 PM »

What's the joke here?

I haven’t heard about it for 2 or 3 years. It’s been a thing for 6 years and I didn’t think they’d done anything. I had to google it to find out they just rebranded it.

They're working on it right now.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: February 04, 2021, 03:03:50 PM »
Oregon State announced a $153M renovation after $50M anonymous gift. It will completely redo one side that now looks like a generic grandstand with a small press box on top. Will take stadium capacity from 43k to mid-to-high 30s.

https://osubeavers.com/news/2021/2/4/football-osu-receives-50-million-lead-gift-to-complete-reser-stadium-enable-year-round-university-programs.aspx

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: February 04, 2021, 03:35:26 PM »
do they call it the dam? if not, they should. also watched the promo vid and like okay thanks for the history lesson but where are the rendos? love me some before and after

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 04, 2021, 04:12:11 PM »
BEST COLLEGE TOWN.....in the Pac 12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 04, 2021, 10:17:30 PM »
I have always loved Oregon State. They're super K-Statey and Corvallis is green Manhattan. Nothing but good things to say about that place, and I can be trusted as an authority on this because I stayed there for ~48 hours in 2006. I'm happy for them on this nice new stade addition but I have to say I always had a soft spot for how weird and piecemeal the whole stadium was. A bizarre architectural amalgam of the past and the future. Now it'll be really nice all the way around, but it won't be weird. :cry:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12