Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 449188 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #2175 on: December 18, 2020, 01:24:44 AM »
God. That end zone font was second to none.

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: December 18, 2020, 01:28:30 AM »
Can't remember if we've discussed it ITT but you see how there are warning tracks behind the end zones and there's a giant gap bisecting the main bleachers that run along the sidelines? It was designed that way 50 years ago and constructed along a track that allowed them to split the sideline bleachers in half, roll them along the track on the ground, and connect them to the end zone bleachers to completely reconfigure it into a baseball stadium. COMPLETELY REVOLUTIONARY AND COMPLETELY WEIRD. Obviously must not have worked too well because A) almost no one knows about it, probably because they never do it or really did it much, and B) it never caught on and instead everyone went with the horrible multi-sport donut stadium design instead.

Also....in reference to the above picture....wtf? Why does only one section of the overhang have anything actually attached to it? Why is it so off center? This stadium is fascinating and weird and stupid and phenomenal. I'm going to be really sad to see it go. Stayed up waaay too late to catch some 2am WAC hot potatoes in this badboy.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: December 18, 2020, 01:34:23 AM »
LOOK! THEY JUST MOVED THIS GIANT-ASS STADIUM AROUND AND COMPLETELY RECONFIGURED IT INTO A BASEBALL STADIUM!  :horrorsurprise:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: December 18, 2020, 07:51:12 AM »
Shea Stadium had stands on rails that would move to convert from football to basketball.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: December 18, 2020, 08:25:44 AM »
All of the 70s era cookie cutter stadiums the lower bowls shifted for football/baseball.   This Aloha is only one i can think of where the entire thing moved.

http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/Stadiums_by_class.html#Doughnuts

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: December 18, 2020, 08:34:22 AM »
I like how there are giants gaps in Aloha stadium's bleachers, but they're still connected.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: December 18, 2020, 10:28:28 AM »
Shea Stadium had stands on rails that would move to convert from football to basketball.

I had forgotten about that one. (Assuming you meant baseball.)

Tom, that website is a DREAM. I can’t wait to put on a robe, sit by the roaring fire, light my pipe, have some eggnog, and read that badboy cover to cover. I knew the doughnut stadiums of the 70s had some sections here and there that shifted or folded up like high school bleachers in the lower bowl, but it’s crazy that both decks move at Aloha stade. Like, if every seat were filled for a football game and every seat were filled for a baseball game, you could show someone one overhead picture of each and that person would probably have zero clue that it’s the same stadium. It’s a shame it rusted before they even finished building it. T’s and P’s to our Rainbow Warrior bros at our sister school way out west.

What’s the worst donut stadium OAT? Oakland’s was awful, but I always felt reaaaally bad for people who sat in the lower part of the football version of Candlestick Park.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: December 18, 2020, 11:00:26 AM »
Hawaii has a huge baseball stadium, like 5k. Maybe they can make it footbally for a little while.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: December 18, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »
What’s the worst donut stadium OAT? Oakland’s was awful, but I always felt reaaaally bad for people who sat in the lower part of the football version of Candlestick Park.

It's definitely not Oakland, not sure they're even on the list. There were some elite views of "The surrounding" before stupid Mount Davis went in.

I might be missing some, but it would probably be these 6. RFK, Busch, 3 Rivers, Fulton County, Riverfront, and Veterans.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: December 18, 2020, 11:42:08 AM »
I just read the wikipedia page of Aloha Stadium so you don't have to....here are some cliff notes.

- They built it with weathered steel so they wouldnt have to paint it but I guess the weathered steel sucks complete ass around salt water and it started rusting almost immediately

-They stopped moving the bleachers after like 20 years because of the rusting

- They have known the stadium was a complete POS for the past 20 years but the only upgrades were a new video board in 2010...like geez guys, your whole stadium is falling apart but let make sure to get that new video board!

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: December 18, 2020, 12:07:28 PM »
Oakland at one time had the most foul territory of any MLB stadium.   There was a stat your BA was maybe 10 pts worse due to extra foul outs.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: December 18, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »
Skinny i am a stadium addict.  Love that site.

Tom

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: December 18, 2020, 02:04:34 PM »

I had forgotten about that one. (Assuming you meant baseball.)

Tom, that website is a DREAM. I can’t wait to put on a robe, sit by the roaring fire, light my pipe, have some eggnog, and read that badboy cover to cover. I knew the doughnut stadiums of the 70s had some sections here and there that shifted or folded up like high school bleachers in the lower bowl, but it’s crazy that both decks move at Aloha stade. Like, if every seat were filled for a football game and every seat were filled for a baseball game, you could show someone one overhead picture of each and that person would probably have zero clue that it’s the same stadium. It’s a shame it rusted before they even finished building it. T’s and P’s to our Rainbow Warrior bros at our sister school way out west.

not sure it would necessary fall into the category of a donut but i think the polo grounds should really be in the top 5 of any serious wtflol stadium list

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: December 18, 2020, 04:22:55 PM »
Skinny i am a stadium addict.  Love that site.

Tom

I rated Oakland as my least fave because Mt. Baker is the worst, and also because that’s the donut that hung around the longest, meaning I had to look at Chiefs make breakaway runs over dirt baseball infields until 2019. That is unconscienable.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: December 18, 2020, 05:09:37 PM »
Hawaii has a huge baseball stadium, like 5k. Maybe they can make it footbally for a little while.

They'll probably move to this place for two years, War Memorial Stadium in Wailuku, it holds 23,000

They apparently played there in 2001

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: December 18, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »
Dear God. That stadium is horrendous. How could that place possibly hold 23,000? That stadium makes me incredibly sad.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: December 18, 2020, 10:07:42 PM »

not sure it would necessary fall into the category of a donut but i think the polo grounds should really be in the top 5 of any serious wtflol stadium list

My uncle (RIP) used to teach and coach in NYC.  He went to the Polo Grounds a ton.  It was an interesting place that was like no other ballpark.  He used to talk about it with me.  Thanks for the memory.  Apparently, the batting cages were hauled up into the air above first based by a hoist system so they were out of the way during game time.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: December 19, 2020, 08:18:00 AM »
Dear God. That stadium is horrendous. How could that place possibly hold 23,000? That stadium makes me incredibly sad.

Maybe 23k includes people sitting on the hillside where there are no bleachers?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: December 19, 2020, 07:12:49 PM »
They’ll have a new stade before KU has a shovel in the ground.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: December 19, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »
They’ll have a new stade before KU has a shovel in the ground.

Legit true. Their stadium is supposed to be done to open the 2023 season.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2195 on: December 22, 2020, 03:56:29 PM »
Our original stadium was something. The track went under the endzone seating.

Back when Jack Trice was built, I'd have rather just demolished the old stadium and that dorm immediately behind the stadium, centered the field with the state gym (older building offset of the open endzone) somewhat similar to Okla State. The other option would have been going north of it. I'm generally fine with the location of Jack Trice tho, the tailgating is great and access is easy. I just wish it was closer to campus.

https://twitter.com/CycloneFB/status/354290342733950978/photo/1
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 04:03:33 PM by Havs »

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: December 22, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »
It definitely had a better press box.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: December 22, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
Just catching up on this thread and holy crap I didn't know that stuff about Aloha Stadium.  It was the Transformer of stadiums!!  What an awesome feature even if it didn't really get used for very long or probably not very often. 

Also lol at Iowa State's old pressbox. It looks like somebody saw a pop up book about stadium pressboxes and they decided to build the IRL version of it.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: December 22, 2020, 10:27:55 PM »

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: December 22, 2020, 10:39:04 PM »
Havs I mean this in the nicest way but holy lol crap that old stadium was hot garbage and bizarre as crap. I agree with your idea they should've centered the new stadium on that old building and said goodbye to the soviet style dorms as well. Just yuck central
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla