Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 330782 times)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #4350 on: March 10, 2023, 09:11:31 PM »
Is this the right thread to ask how to roll multiple 401ks into 1? :dunno:

Roll them all into an IRA other than the current one.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: March 10, 2023, 09:34:12 PM »
Is this the right thread to ask how to roll multiple 401ks into 1? :dunno:
Start with the account you want to roll them into and see how they can help you.

It's a pain to consolidate, and it's a pain by design imo.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: March 10, 2023, 10:04:34 PM »
Once you no longer work there I don't know that there is any reason to keep them in that format and an IRA would have a lot of flexibility advantages. Like any boring guy I'd suggest Vanguard. Unless you just want a single account in which you overcoming the headaches of getting the old ones into your new one is your option.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: March 10, 2023, 10:08:57 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: March 10, 2023, 11:42:48 PM »
Once you no longer work there I don't know that there is any reason to keep them in that format and an IRA would have a lot of flexibility advantages. Like any boring guy I'd suggest Vanguard. Unless you just want a single account in which you overcoming the headaches of getting the old ones into your new one is your option.
Yes switching jobs is a great opportunity to get those funds into a lower cost account that you can completely control.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: March 12, 2023, 03:19:32 PM »
Yes switching jobs is a great opportunity to get those funds into a lower cost account that you can completely control.

My old 401k plan has excellent super low cost fund options.  Better than my current plan.  Also, switching to an IRA will make back door roth contributions (if you see that in your future) more complicated and require paying some taxes on it each conversion.  So I left mine in the old 401k.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: March 15, 2023, 08:39:18 PM »
Any recommendations for money guys in or around KC? Have talked to three. Not sold on any yet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: March 15, 2023, 09:57:22 PM »
Any recommendations for money guys in or around KC? Have talked to three. Not sold on any yet.

Just post on gE and let our braintrust give you NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: March 15, 2023, 10:03:44 PM »
What do money guys do?  All the ones I know just put money into the same stuff the average Joe has access to anyway.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: March 15, 2023, 10:23:58 PM »
What do money guys do?  All the ones I know just put money into the same stuff the average Joe has access to anyway.

I recently changed jobs so I met with mine to have them move my 401k from my previously employer into the one with my new employer. They're both through Fidelity. I also asked about t-bills, which I've never bought, and VTSAX which michigancat mentioned.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: March 15, 2023, 10:39:23 PM »

I recently changed jobs so I met with mine to have them move my 401k from my previously employer into the one with my new employer. They're both through Fidelity. I also asked about t-bills, which I've never bought, and VTSAX which michigancat mentioned.

he getting a commission or charge a flat fee?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: March 15, 2023, 10:46:34 PM »
just put all your money into an sp500 index or regional banks.  either way, can't go wrong.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: March 15, 2023, 11:01:24 PM »

Put it all into SOL and SHIB. That's what stevedave had me do, and he'd never steer me wrong, as my fiduciary.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: March 15, 2023, 11:20:11 PM »

If they’re good, they will do average joe stuff.  Unfortunately a lot of them will waste your money on high load, high expense crap so that they get a good commission.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: March 15, 2023, 11:20:33 PM »

Put it all into SOL and SHIB. That's what stevedave had me do, and he'd never steer me wrong, as my fiduciary.
I advised against it, but what do I know.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: March 16, 2023, 07:03:07 AM »
What got me started was I got some company equity and I didn't know how to deal with it.They helped me with that along with changing my retirement funds and investing beyond tax advantaged accounts. They talked us through our life goals - things like where we wanted to live and how important owning a house was, kids,etc. He also helps with life changes through a financial lens - moving, job changes, going back to school. He encouraged us to get a will which we didn't have previously, analyzed life insurance, renters insurance, auto insurance and had us make some tweaks and gives us "homework" to do after every meeting.

It seems silly but it's reassuring to have someone who sees how a bunch of folks are doing and just reassure you that you're doing fine. Also kind of silly but it's easier for someone else to tell my wife what to do with her money than it is for me to tell her.

I could have done everything they do on my own but I definitely wouldn't have.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: March 16, 2023, 07:03:41 AM »
Also, always hire a fiduciary.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: March 16, 2023, 07:42:57 AM »
What got me started was I got some company equity and I didn't know how to deal with it.They helped me with that along with changing my retirement funds and investing beyond tax advantaged accounts. They talked us through our life goals - things like where we wanted to live and how important owning a house was, kids,etc. He also helps with life changes through a financial lens - moving, job changes, going back to school. He encouraged us to get a will which we didn't have previously, analyzed life insurance, renters insurance, auto insurance and had us make some tweaks and gives us "homework" to do after every meeting.

It seems silly but it's reassuring to have someone who sees how a bunch of folks are doing and just reassure you that you're doing fine. Also kind of silly but it's easier for someone else to tell my wife what to do with her money than it is for me to tell her.

Yeah, I think it's really good for couples where money is a difficult conversation or they don't know or want to do homework on it (NOT SAYING THIS IS YOU MICHIGANCAT). A lot of people treat money as some taboo subject or have some really terrible emotional trauma from growing up in a family that made money a root of their unhappiness or relationship issues. My wife is like that, but thankfully she just tells me to deal with it and outside of raising kids it's my only hobby. She makes a decent amount of money but really has no concept of it. Or any concept of what we save, invest in, etc. She told me she would like to have $X in each childs 529 because that's important to her and I told her that made sense and I am making it happen. I tell her what to do with her employer plans and she does it. That may be a bad situation for us if something happens to me but we have enough life insurance and I've documented where and what I'm doing (and also kat kid knows as the failsafe) that she and the kids will be just fine.

OT. speaking of 529s the new plan change to roll them into retirement if they aren't spent is pretty good and chill.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: March 16, 2023, 08:13:17 AM »

You have a good financial guy, hang on to that one.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: March 16, 2023, 08:22:12 AM »
I just paid taxes to the IRS for the first time in my life. I have finally arrived.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: March 16, 2023, 09:01:09 AM »

Yeah, I think it's really good for couples where money is a difficult conversation or they don't know or want to do homework on it (NOT SAYING THIS IS YOU MICHIGANCAT). A lot of people treat money as some taboo subject or have some really terrible emotional trauma from growing up in a family that made money a root of their unhappiness or relationship issues. My wife is like that, but thankfully she just tells me to deal with it and outside of raising kids it's my only hobby. She makes a decent amount of money but really has no concept of it. Or any concept of what we save, invest in, etc. She told me she would like to have $X in each childs 529 because that's important to her and I told her that made sense and I am making it happen. I tell her what to do with her employer plans and she does it. That may be a bad situation for us if something happens to me but we have enough life insurance and I've documented where and what I'm doing (and also kat kid knows as the failsafe) that she and the kids will be just fine.

OT. speaking of 529s the new plan change to roll them into retirement if they aren't spent is pretty good and chill.
Tell me more about the 529 thing. Is it being proposed?

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: March 16, 2023, 09:08:46 AM »

he getting a commission or charge a flat fee?

Nothing. It's just some Fidelity rep through my office.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: March 16, 2023, 09:10:26 AM »

Tell me more about the 529 thing. Is it being proposed?

lotta restrictions though. capped at $35k. Still a nice change.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/23/tax-free-rollovers-from-529-plans-to-roth-iras-may-be-allowed-in-2024.html

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: March 16, 2023, 09:24:09 AM »
as a general rule if your "money person" is telling you what to invest in you should run away. if they're doing stuff like what Rusty describes you probably have a good one. if they ever say the words "whole life" or "annuity" or "the market is going to..." you should call the cops.

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: March 16, 2023, 10:27:29 AM »
That may be a bad situation for us if something happens to me...
My will attorney set up a bunch of crap and like "TO DO" lists if something happens to me (or both of us) that my wife (or trust executor) will put into effect as failsafes to make sure wife/kids are properly taken care of.  I really appreciated that.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]