Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327429 times)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #4175 on: August 02, 2022, 04:52:43 PM »
Made $.65 on correctly guessing the high temp in Chicago today. Come join me other degens and let’s make some bank!

https://kalshi.com/
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: August 02, 2022, 09:27:28 PM »
Man, when I first started learning more about investing/FIRE I was all about figuring out as much as I can about how the best/most effeficient ways to invest (hence why I started this thread) but after you realize its

1. Invest as much as you can in your tax advantaged accounts (401K/IRA/rIRA/HSA etc)
2. Invest in index funds
3. Repeat for 30 years

It got kind of boring. I pretty much maxed all of my tax advantaged accounts for a couple of years in my late 20's/early 30's and now I've scaled back to let compounding interest do its work.

At some point you take a look at your lifestyle and realize the diminishing returns of saving at a high rate to retire at 50 vs 55 vs 60 etc. I'm still throwing in around 20% of my income to retirement/savings but that is dialed back from the 40% savings rate I was at a couple of years ago and I'm perfectly OKAY with it.

I used to calculate and record my net worth on a spreadsheet like once a quarter for a couple of years but now I do it about once a year or less...but if STONKS start going wild again I'll probably do it more frequently

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: August 02, 2022, 10:53:12 PM »

At some point you take a look at your lifestyle and realize the diminishing returns of saving at a high rate to retire at 50 vs 55 vs 60 etc. I'm still throwing in around 20% of my income to retirement/savings but that is dialed back from the 40% savings rate I was at a couple of years ago and I'm perfectly OKAY with it.

I came to a similar realization. The good news is that when your plan is to retire early, pushing off the official retirement date by 1-3 years can make up for A TON of “under saving” in the 5-10 years leading up to that point.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: August 03, 2022, 08:55:32 AM »
Man, when I first started learning more about investing/FIRE I was all about figuring out as much as I can about how the best/most effeficient ways to invest (hence why I started this thread) but after you realize its

1. Invest as much as you can in your tax advantaged accounts (401K/IRA/rIRA/HSA etc)
2. Invest in index funds
3. Repeat for 30 years

It got kind of boring. I pretty much maxed all of my tax advantaged accounts for a couple of years in my late 20's/early 30's and now I've scaled back to let compounding interest do its work.

I used to calculate and record my net worth on a spreadsheet like once a quarter for a couple of years but now I do it about once a year or less...but if STONKS start going wild again I'll probably do it more frequently

Yeah, I love reading through those FIRE stories on Reddit that prob aren't real. I guess it just depends on what you want really. I see the stories of people working and saving their asses off and then moving to some beach town in whatever country at age 40 and think of how awesome that is. Or you can have some kids, buy a big house in KS and work until you are 65 and enjoy the years as much as you can.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: August 03, 2022, 10:36:23 AM »
I know a couple FIRE people. It is their sole purpose in life and their only real character trait. It’s very bizarre. Living alone on a beach in some cheap foreign country has zero appeal to me but to each their own.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: August 03, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »

2. Invest in index funds
3. Repeat for 30 years

I don't know if there are any other people here that do what I do, I get the feeling I rub people wrong when I talk about RE investing, but it sincerely saddens me when steps 1-3 is WIDELY considered the way. 1-3 is an option, but there are others that do as good or better and certainly more tax advantaged.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: August 03, 2022, 10:50:50 AM »
I appreciate your property management stories and they don’t rub me the wrong way despite me having absolutely zero interest in ever doing that crap. People are all different and can be happy in different ways.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: August 03, 2022, 10:54:58 AM »
I think a lot of people are just extraordinarily passionate about what they do. and for good reason! it rules for them! not dissimilar to the FIRE people, or credit card point people, or MLM people, or investing people, or any other people. I think what rubs people the wrong way is when people get insistent and passionate about it to the point they degrade anyone who doesn't do what they do. I certainly do this to people on things I'm passionate about too, and try to be mindful that it probably isn't a good idea to get going too much. look at the credit card thread for example. i still travel to exorbitantly expensive places all the time and fly my tiny little baby kids in first class on the way there by leveraging that stuff. but I don't get too worked up to others about it unless they share the passion for it, because that's annoying AF.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: August 03, 2022, 11:10:54 AM »
I appreciate your property management stories and they don’t run me the wrong way despite me having absolutely zero interest in ever doing that crap. People are all different and can be happy in different ways.
I agree, and know REI is not for everyone. I also think people think they will be getting 2am calls about clogged toilets, but that shouldn't be the case.

All that being said, I just want people to know there are more options than simply stock market investing.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: August 03, 2022, 11:17:24 AM »
I appreciate your property management stories and they don’t run me the wrong way despite me having absolutely zero interest in ever doing that crap. People are all different and can be happy in different ways.
I agree, and know REI is not for everyone. I also think people think they will be getting 2am calls about clogged toilets, but that shouldn't be the case.

All that being said, I just want people to know there are more options than simply stock market investing.
Hell yeah bro, and I appreciate you for it.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: August 03, 2022, 12:10:09 PM »
We are officially out of a bear market. Thank you to all who served.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: August 03, 2022, 12:15:19 PM »

I think people know it’s out there cause there are endless products and services pushing it as a great investment. It really just comes down to whether people enjoy it as a hobby.

For people who feel overwhelmed by the prospect of investing their money, index funds and tax advantaged accounts are incredibly easy to learn and require no excess skills, capital, or time. The barrier to RE investing is so high that the only people going down that path are ones who are already convinced that’s what they want to do.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: August 03, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »
I made this. Gaze upon it, and weep because of how irl it is.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: August 03, 2022, 12:23:09 PM »
I mean, the numbers are not irl, but you understand the vibes

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: August 03, 2022, 12:29:04 PM »
lol love it

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: August 03, 2022, 01:15:30 PM »

I think people know it’s out there cause there are endless products and services pushing it as a great investment. It really just comes down to whether people enjoy it as a hobby.

For people who feel overwhelmed by the prospect of investing their money, index funds and tax advantaged accounts are incredibly easy to learn and require no excess skills, capital, or time. The barrier to RE investing is so high that the only people going down that path are ones who are already convinced that’s what they want to do.
The stock market is definitely easier, but many of your other points aren't altogether true. It does require some education, but the high barrier due to capital limitations can be navigated around. I may have mentioned how in the RE Investing thread, but can't remember. Don't want to hijack this thread further, but could discuss there or through pm if anyone wants.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: August 03, 2022, 01:23:27 PM »
also getting super defensive about it probably is another reason

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: August 03, 2022, 01:35:01 PM »

The stock market is definitely easier, but many of your other points aren't altogether true. It does require some education, but the high barrier due to capital limitations can be navigated around. I may have mentioned how in the RE Investing thread, but can't remember. Don't want to hijack this thread further, but could discuss there or through pm if anyone wants.
KITN, you're starting to give off Jehovah's Witness vibes now.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: August 03, 2022, 02:08:01 PM »
also getting super defensive about it probably is another reason
Didn't think I was.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: August 03, 2022, 02:08:41 PM »

KITN, you're starting to give off Jehovah's Witness vibes now.
Yep, I rub people wrong. :(

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: August 03, 2022, 02:13:31 PM »
KITN you have any properties that you airbnb or vbro? seems like some are banking on those in mhk

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: August 03, 2022, 03:08:32 PM »

2. Invest in index funds
3. Repeat for 30 years

I would call what you're doing a version of Coast FI. I'm sure it's discussed other places, but The Fioneers discuss Coast FI quite a bit.

https://thefioneers.com/coast-financial-independence-calculator/

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: August 04, 2022, 08:03:31 AM »
I bought I-bonds this morning. The max you can buy is $10,000. The interest rate you receive is a fixed rate plus the inflation rate which they set twice a year. The current rate is 9.62%. Anyone else do this?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: August 04, 2022, 08:24:12 AM »

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: August 04, 2022, 08:48:27 AM »
I bought I-bonds this morning. The max you can buy is $10,000. The interest rate you receive is a fixed rate plus the inflation rate which they set twice a year. The current rate is 9.62%. Anyone else do this?

:kstategrad: :pbj: :kstategrad: