Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 332683 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1000 on: April 20, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »
Yeah it doesn't look like you can do that without a penalty so not sure why someone suggested it to her

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/102714/how-can-you-borrow-roth-ira.asp

you have to pay income tax on it, but it's penalty free for "education" expenses, though that can be pretty broad and extend to room and board and supplies and stuff
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 20, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
how much do you need?  you have some equity in something, i'm sure, get a secured loan at a lower rate rather than the high rate unsecured student loan.  if it's not that much, just roll over 0% cc loans.

if you need to get a loan ('m sure you don't), she probably shouldn't be going back to school.  you guys are on the downhill side of life, going back to school is probably foolish.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 20, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »
i mean euro denominated debt is almost at negative rates on the 10 year and this joker is talking about raiding the retirement to avoid interest.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

The Big Train

« Reply #1003 on: April 20, 2015, 10:33:30 PM »
the $100 in euro's i brought home and kept 10 years ago is rough ridin' me right about now  :angry:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 20, 2015, 10:53:19 PM »

Also, tell me what you think about this.

Currently I have about 1/3 of my retirement in a Roth IRA and 2/3 in a regular IRA I rolled over from an old 401k.

My work offers a regular 401k and a Roth 401k. I currently make the maximum yearly contribution to the Roth IRA so I opted for the regular 401k and contribute just over what I need to to get the employer match(Its puny but I get a PENSION?!? What? Puny too tho).

In regards to Taxes it is currently advantageous to go with the Roth 401k right now based on my current/future tax bracket projections but I decided against it because I like the idea of having both tax deferred and non tax deferred options when I retire.

My current thinking is that I can live my basic life off the 401k/SS(lol)/Pension and use the tax free(in retirement) money from my Roth IRA for big expenses (New car/Travel/Fishing boat/etc etc).

Thoughts?

it's just a matter of taxes.  so without knowing your brackets, bracket expectations and future earning/retirement plans, i don't think anyone can really advise.

the one important point with the traditional 401k is that you can convert it to a roth, but you can't go the other way.  so if you can control your income in the year(s) you convert, you can kill the gov. with no taxes on the 401k and then no to v. low taxes on the conversion.
yes, and you can't really project future tax codes/ brackets. I am more heavily in Roth accounts. About 2/3 vs. 1/3. The conversion thing is not a guaranteed option in the future. That is one of my assumptions.

Gonna win 'em all!

That's the catch. Looking at retirement calculators online I am just under the amount where it makes sense to use a Roth IRA based on what I think my tax bracket will be when I retire....but at the same time I am still in my 20's so I can't accurately predict what my tax bracket will be when I retire(THANKS OBAMA).

My thinking is getting to a 50/50 split between tax deferred and non tax deferred (or something close) in 10 years will allow me to adjust to my savings to what is most advantageous at that time.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1005 on: April 21, 2015, 02:19:07 AM »
the $100 in euro's i brought home and kept 10 years ago is rough ridin' me right about now  :angry:
i am setting on stacks of Euros and Rupees that are just killing me right now. My guy keeps on telling me to sell and I'm all, "eff gold. The future is rupees."

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 16, 2015, 07:51:41 AM »
Does anyone here hold any Blackrock investment funds? I'm curious about a couple of them, but still a little uneasy about Blackrock...

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »
Does anyone here hold any Blackrock investment funds? I'm curious about a couple of them, but still a little uneasy about Blackrock...

what are you looking at?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 16, 2015, 12:07:47 PM »
I specifically like their Opportunities Fund group...whether it be International, US or Health Sciences.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 16, 2015, 01:03:25 PM »
i wouldn't have any reservations about them based on the blackrock brand.  if you think those funds are worth the fees... the fees are fairly steep.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 16, 2015, 04:29:51 PM »
I just transferred my and mrs. fedor's ira's and roth's to a self directed fund.  I am indexing the crap out of everything, YOLO!!  I am afraid much like representing yourself in court, I have a fool for a client.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 16, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »
What is wrong with vanguard mutual funds
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »

they have a lot, that do different things.  there's nothing wrong with them.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 16, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »
I am afraid much like representing yourself in court, I have a fool for a client.

i think the saying is pretty much reversed for investing.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 17, 2015, 01:58:48 PM »
currently trying to roll over an old 401k from a company-sponsored to a vanguard account (something I should have done a long time ago but it was difficult, a check got lost, whatever)

setup and instructions from vanguard were ridiculously easy.
Go to the current 401k to request the distribution. Find out they don't send checks to vanguard from an online request. Fine.
Look into having it mailed to me - take several steps to get to that point. Oh, it still has my old address. eff, I need to change that
Go to personal information to update - no way to change your address - it says if you're employed, have your employer change it. If not, give the plan manager a call!
I call the plan manger. First I just ask if they can send the money directly to Vanguard. "No, we don't work with them, so we have to send it to you and then you send it in".
OK, let's change my address then. Transfer me to someone else. "OK, let me verify your information and current address"..."OK, so if you want to change your address you need to fill out a Personal Information Change Request and mail or fax it."
"You mean I can't do it online or over the phone?"
"No, this is sensitive information so we don't let you do that for security."
"So I have to mail it?"
"You can fax it, too!"

They said it takes 3-5 days to update the address, then I can try requesting a check again.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 17, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »

I'm not saying anything is wrong with Vanguard funds, in fact I hold a decent amount of them. I like to be spread out and diversified, so that's why I was looking at Blackrock.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 17, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »

I'm not saying anything is wrong with Vanguard funds, in fact I hold a decent amount of them. I like to be spread out and diversified, so that's why I was looking at Blackrock.
This comment is not necessarily meant for you, ShellShock, but more so for any newbie that came here looking for advice.
Diversified doesn't mean you should buy 7 separate funds from 7 different fund management companies. You might end up owning the exact same thing (or something very similar) with each company and could have increased your risks tremendously. You need to understand what the fund's objectives are before investing.
Personally, I think Vanguard has a pretty great selection of funds that can keep you more diversified that you can imagine. I own 4 (maybe 5?) with a decent amount of money in each.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 17, 2015, 04:10:36 PM »
Just spent 20 minutes figuring out how to use a fax machine before someone reminded me there was a real old one that worked perfectly.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 18, 2015, 08:45:31 AM »
I just transferred my and mrs. fedor's ira's and roth's to a self directed fund.  I am indexing the crap out of everything, YOLO!!  I am afraid much like representing yourself in court, I have a fool for a client.

I believe in you, Fedor. You made the right decision.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 18, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Betterment/wealthfront

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: June 19, 2015, 06:43:52 AM »

My comment was really aimed at fedor who I think just put his retirement into index funds.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 19, 2015, 07:31:25 AM »

This comment is not necessarily meant for you, ShellShock, but more so for any newbie that came here looking for advice.
Diversified doesn't mean you should buy 7 separate funds from 7 different fund management companies. You might end up owning the exact same thing (or something very similar) with each company and could have increased your risks tremendously. You need to understand what the fund's objectives are before investing.
Personally, I think Vanguard has a pretty great selection of funds that can keep you more diversified that you can imagine. I own 4 (maybe 5?) with a decent amount of money in each.

I will add that it's good to be spread out between a couple companies if you're going this route though because each companies (Vanguard vs Blackrock vs whoever) index type funds have different stocks in them. Just because both are labeled as Healthcare Growth (or whatever fund it is), doesn't mean that it's the same across the board.

For instance, I have multiple holdings in several investment companies that basically hedge eachother. My healthcare fund one place has Cerner as one of it's main stocks and the other place has Epic. Those two companies are direct competitors so let them duke it out...because in the end, all it means for me is more $$$$.

Just my  :th_twocents:

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 19, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »

My comment was really aimed at fedor who I think just put his retirement into index funds.
Sorry I didn't know your comment was directed at me.  To be clear, this is a portion of the retirement stash.  I finally consolidated all the funds left in the wake of various job changes.  The funds are not all in index funds.  I bot some index funds, some stocks and there is a large portion still in the money market 'cause I got tired of researching and lost steam.  I have had Vanguard funds before, why do you recommend them?  BTW I am fairly management fee averse, which is how I ended up in a self directed fund.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 19, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »

Sorry I didn't know your comment was directed at me.  To be clear, this is a portion of the retirement stash.  I finally consolidated all the funds left in the wake of various job changes.  The funds are not all in index funds.  I bot some index funds, some stocks and there is a large portion still in the money market 'cause I got tired of researching and lost steam.  I have had Vanguard funds before, why do you recommend them?  BTW I am fairly management fee averse, which is how I ended up in a self directed fund.
Dave Ramsey gets this part of the equation right: www.daveramsey.com (man, he tries to sell a lot of crap on his site!)
TLDNR:
equal parts in Growth, Growth and Income, Aggressive Growth, International.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 19, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »

For instance, I have multiple holdings in several investment companies that basically hedge eachother. My healthcare fund one place has Cerner as one of it's main stocks and the other place has Epic. Those two companies are direct competitors so let them duke it out...because in the end, all it means for me is more $$$$.

Just my  :th_twocents:
What if that industry goes belly up because of game changing technology?