Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 332795 times)

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1025 on: June 19, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »

For instance, I have multiple holdings in several investment companies that basically hedge eachother. My healthcare fund one place has Cerner as one of it's main stocks and the other place has Epic. Those two companies are direct competitors so let them duke it out...because in the end, all it means for me is more $$$$.

Just my  :th_twocents:
What if that industry goes belly up because of game changing technology?

Then the other holdings in my overall portfolio in tech, international, etc keep me level. By no means am I saying get into one sector and bet the farm. I'm a firm believer in making sure that i'm very spread out and diversified.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 19, 2015, 10:48:58 AM »

For instance, I have multiple holdings in several investment companies that basically hedge eachother. My healthcare fund one place has Cerner as one of it's main stocks and the other place has Epic. Those two companies are direct competitors so let them duke it out...because in the end, all it means for me is more $$$$.

i'm very spread out and diversified.
that's what he said

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 19, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »

i'm very spread out and diversified.
that's what he said

:facepalm:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 19, 2015, 01:25:37 PM »
currently trying to roll over an old 401k from a company-sponsored to a vanguard account (something I should have done a long time ago but it was difficult, a check got lost, whatever)

setup and instructions from vanguard were ridiculously easy.
Go to the current 401k to request the distribution. Find out they don't send checks to vanguard from an online request. Fine.
Look into having it mailed to me - take several steps to get to that point. Oh, it still has my old address. eff, I need to change that
Go to personal information to update - no way to change your address - it says if you're employed, have your employer change it. If not, give the plan manager a call!
I call the plan manger. First I just ask if they can send the money directly to Vanguard. "No, we don't work with them, so we have to send it to you and then you send it in".
OK, let's change my address then. Transfer me to someone else. "OK, let me verify your information and current address"..."OK, so if you want to change your address you need to fill out a Personal Information Change Request and mail or fax it."
"You mean I can't do it online or over the phone?"
"No, this is sensitive information so we don't let you do that for security."
"So I have to mail it?"
"You can fax it, too!"

They said it takes 3-5 days to update the address, then I can try requesting a check again.

update: they still haven't updated my address

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 19, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »
currently trying to roll over an old 401k from a company-sponsored to a vanguard account (something I should have done a long time ago but it was difficult, a check got lost, whatever)

setup and instructions from vanguard were ridiculously easy.
Go to the current 401k to request the distribution. Find out they don't send checks to vanguard from an online request. Fine.
Look into having it mailed to me - take several steps to get to that point. Oh, it still has my old address. eff, I need to change that
Go to personal information to update - no way to change your address - it says if you're employed, have your employer change it. If not, give the plan manager a call!
I call the plan manger. First I just ask if they can send the money directly to Vanguard. "No, we don't work with them, so we have to send it to you and then you send it in".
OK, let's change my address then. Transfer me to someone else. "OK, let me verify your information and current address"..."OK, so if you want to change your address you need to fill out a Personal Information Change Request and mail or fax it."
"You mean I can't do it online or over the phone?"
"No, this is sensitive information so we don't let you do that for security."
"So I have to mail it?"
"You can fax it, too!"

They said it takes 3-5 days to update the address, then I can try requesting a check again.

update: they still haven't updated my address
update: they said 3-5 days  :Rusty:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 19, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »
It's the third day and it shouldn't take them so long.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 19, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »
probably shouldn't have taken you so long to roll it over either

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 19, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »
probably shouldn't have taken you so long to roll it over either

it absolutely shouldn't have, but I would have had to do an address change regardless.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 19, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »
When I changed my TIAA-CREF Roth to a Vanguard Roth, I called Vanguard and then they stayed on the line and handled the transfer for me and it took maybe 5 minutes.

Funniest part?  The ceremonial script reading.

"Hi, I am _______ from Vanguard and I am on a monitored line for quality control may I ask who I am speaking to?"

"Hi, I am _____________ from TIAA-CREF and I am on a monitored line for quality control....uh nice to speak to you _______."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 24, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »
When I changed my TIAA-CREF Roth to a Vanguard Roth, I called Vanguard and then they stayed on the line and handled the transfer for me and it took maybe 5 minutes.

Funniest part?  The ceremonial script reading.

"Hi, I am _______ from Vanguard and I am on a monitored line for quality control may I ask who I am speaking to?"

"Hi, I am _____________ from TIAA-CREF and I am on a monitored line for quality control....uh nice to speak to you _______."

tried calling Vanguard, they couldn't do it. But my address was changed! So I tried calling my old custodian to see if they could send a check directly to Vanguard.

"Um, Mr. Michigancat - did you request a check be sent to another provider, and now you want to change those instructions?"
"Yes, I requested a distribution and the check got lost - all the money is now back in my account and I want to move it to a new location."
"Well, we need you to issue a stop payment request along with new instructions for where to send the check. Do you want to mail or fax that to us?"

FFFFFFFFFF

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: June 24, 2015, 09:10:46 PM »
At least you know how to use the Fax machine now.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thre
« Reply #1036 on: June 28, 2015, 12:46:41 AM »
 My financial advisor has been loosing me moneys and has ask for more access to my accounts.  She says she needs more flexibility to adjust with the markets.  What do you guys think?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 28, 2015, 05:12:01 AM »
I think a financial advisor is probably a waste unless you have considerable monies

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 28, 2015, 10:42:34 AM »

My financial advisor has been loosing me moneys and has ask for more access to my accounts.  She says she needs more flexibility to adjust with the markets.  What do you guys think?
A financial advisor needs no access to assist you in investing your money. I am not saying that they shouldn't have access, just that it is not a requirement. Seems like a poor excuse for losing money. If your advisor needs that fast of access, then she is trying to time the market, which is a pretty poor strategy.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thre
« Reply #1039 on: June 28, 2015, 02:58:38 PM »

fire her and don't hire anyone else.  you don't need a financial adviser, it's super easy to invest yourself.  like Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)-level easy.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 29, 2015, 06:22:19 PM »
got around to faxing the letter on Friday. It worked! They still haven't sent a check but I called them and they said they were working on it! :excited:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 01, 2015, 08:33:44 AM »
I am going to do some investing today. Funding Roth IRAs. Plus some other stuff!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 01, 2015, 08:50:22 AM »
I am going to do some investing today. Funding Roth IRAs. Plus some other stuff!

Gonna win 'em all!

Go get em slobber!

I just increased my 401k contributions! WOW, SUCH FUN.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 01, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »

Gonna win 'em all!

Go get em slobber!

I just increased my 401k contributions! WOW, SUCH FUN.
Future ben ji will look like a stud because of that decision!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 23, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »
I got my check around the 4th of July and just got around to mailing it to Vanguard today. Hope it makes it safely. What a saga.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 23, 2015, 08:22:37 PM »
Had a meeting with someone from the company that does our 401k, and told him I still have my old company's 401k rolled over into an Ira at another investment company.  He asked if I considered moving that money into my current 401k and I said that I hurt it was a pain in the ass to do, and he's basically going to do it for me...hope it works!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 23, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »
Had a meeting with someone from the company that does our 401k, and told him I still have my old company's 401k rolled over into an Ira at another investment company.  He asked if I considered moving that money into my current 401k and I said that I hurt it was a pain in the ass to do, and he's basically going to do it for me...hope it works!
I wouldn't do that. If you already moved it out of the other company's 410(k), then leave it in the other IRA.

I'm sorry, I guess you weren't asking for advice....GOOD LUCK! I hope it works, too!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 23, 2015, 10:20:12 PM »

ask yourself why he wants your money so much.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 24, 2015, 09:05:19 AM »

ask yourself why he wants your money so much.

both my IRA and current 401k are making similar returns, I think it would be smart to consolidate them so they can compound faster on a larger principal.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 24, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
That doesn't make sense. HOPE IT WORKS!

Gonna win 'em all!